Do Non Dealer Repair Shops Stock Car Specific Fluids?

Most general repair/maintenance shops (and probably many dealer repair shops) will go with the cheaper routes. Anything that saves them time and money but still get's the job done (reasonably well). It's not their car and they are in it for the money.

I've found that the best mechanics run out of patience with dealership and chain-store environments and go independent. Yes, there are some incompetent indies out there, but the market tends to winnow them out. It's also not hard to find a shop that specializes in Asian imports. They know what fluids need to be brand-specific and which ones can be more generic (such as brake fluid).

I tend to buy older well-kept cars. There have been times that I've gone to the dealership for parts and found that they don't even stock what I need anymore. The car was out of warranty so it was outside their sphere of interest.

..........There have been times that I've gone to the dealership for parts and found that they don't even stock what I need anymore. The car was out of warranty so it was outside their sphere of interest.
Off topic, but in my experience, dealerships make most of their money on repairs (out of warranty) and on used cars.

I doubt they would carry it. I'd ask and ask to see the label on the container for proof. I might trust my independent Honda/Toyota shop enough to let them use appropriate non-honda but honda friendly stuff.

For my 2000 Honda civic, the main thing to use OEM fluids for is the transmission. Oops, I used generic. So far so good but the tranny doesn't feel quite as tight (wow, have fun with that one guys).

Well, I get the brake fluid flushed and more regular maintenance on my car today. According to the shop, I don't need to use car specific fluids. I told him I brought my own anyhow. I think the answer is one of those things that really, "Depends on who you ask" :LOL:. I wasn't going to debate or quote my car's manual (I'm sure they don't like being told how to do their job), but am content just bringing in the car branded fluid, better safe than sorry. To tell you the truth, I really don't know what is the correct answer as there is enough doubt either way.

Last edited:
Well, I get the brake fluid flushed and more regular maintenance on my car today. According to the shop, I don't need to use car specific fluids. I told him I brought my own anyhow. I think the answer is one of those things that really, "Depends on who you ask" :LOL:. I wasn't going to debate or quote my car's manual (I'm sure they don't like being told how to do their job), but am content just bringing in the car branded fluid, better safe than sorry. To tell you the truth, I really don't know what is the correct answer as there is enough doubt either way.
Good decision. For the small amount of money involved, you hedged your bets.

As a retired auto engineer, I had to chuckle when the mechanics in our experimental garage would tell me what was and what was not important on the prototype they were wrenching on. They were always looking backward and didn't realize that what was true once may not be true with the current technology. No malice, just a lack of understanding.

Good decision. For the small amount of money involved, you hedged your bets.

As a retired auto engineer, I had to chuckle when the mechanics in our experimental garage would tell me what was and what was not important on the prototype they were wrenching on. They were always looking backward and didn't realize that what was true once may not be true with the current technology. No malice, just a lack of understanding.

Also, I figure buying the car specific fluids on my own is probably lost costly that the shop fluids prices anyhow. This way I'll know if say, I get a transmission issue, that isn't from the incompatible fluids.

Yet at the same time, on the side of maybe car specific isn't needed, I haven't really seen many mentions of, for example, someone says they used non car fluids and the really messed their car up. So...as the saying goes... "The jury is still out."

Also, I figure buying the car specific fluids on my own is probably lost costly that the shop fluids prices anyhow...........
Don't worry, they will charge you for the fluid anyway, it will just be hidden in another part of the bill. :LOL:

Yet at the same time, on the side of maybe car specific isn't needed, I haven't really seen many mentions of, for example, someone says they used non car fluids and the really messed their car up. So...as the saying goes... "The jury is still out."

It would be hard to know for sure. Say you flush the transmission fluid with non-OEM fluid, drive 30k miles then it falls apart. Bad transmission or failure caused by the non-spec fluid?

Without looking at hundreds of actual test cases, it would be hard to know. I assume the mfr has either looked at the data or tested it out in their own hardware, but I'm sure they sometimes say "use only OEM fluids" just to make more $ when the difference in generic fluid vs. OEM is very tiny.

Don't worry, they will charge you for the fluid anyway, it will just be hidden in another part of the bill. :LOL:

And....bringing your own fluids or parts to a shop to use on your car may void any warranty on the repair or procedure on their part.

And....bringing your own fluids or parts to a shop to use on your car may void any warranty on the repair or procedure on their part.

Looks like a choice between the lesser of two evils. Possibly void warranty vs mess up car.

It would be hard to know for sure. Say you flush the transmission fluid with non-OEM fluid, drive 30k miles then it falls apart. Bad transmission or failure caused by the non-spec fluid?

I've always wondered if the start of the trans problems of my previous car was non-OEM from transmission fluid. But then again, the car wasn't on the reliable side. I do know what you mean by difficult to pinpoint.

The cost of parts at a repair shop is a burr under my saddle. I had new rotors put on DW's car and they charged more than what would be the retail price for name brand parts. When I queried them as to what brand the new rotors were, it turned out that there were no name i.e. Chinese parts.

The cost of parts at a repair shop is a burr under my saddle. I had new rotors put on DW's car and they charged more than what would be the retail price for name brand parts. When I queried them as to what brand the new rotors were, it turned out that there were no name i.e. Chinese parts.

I'd venture to say most aftermarket auto parts are made in China These days. Recently, I bought a MANN oil filter for my VW; top OEM brand/supplied by a European company. Even had a VW 9 digit part number on the box AND THE FILTER. Also had a "made in China" sticker on the box.

I've always wondered if the start of the trans problems of my previous car was non-OEM from transmission fluid. But then again, the car wasn't on the reliable side. I do know what you mean by difficult to pinpoint.

Yes, most, if not all, automatic transmissions start to wear out and head towards failure the minute they feel the engine torque right after leaving the new car dealer's lot.

I'd venture to say most aftermarket auto parts are made in China These days. Recently, I bought a MANN oil filter for my VW; top OEM brand/supplied by a European company. Even had a VW 9 digit part number on the box AND THE FILTER. Also had a "made in China" sticker on the box.
True, but if a brake rotor, for example, is labeled "Wagner" or "Bendix", I've a lot more confidence that the metallurgy and machining are closer to OEM than if the part has no identification what so ever. The brand name would indicate to me that someone is monitoring the quality control, if only to limit their own liability in the USA.

True, but if a brake rotor, for example, is labeled "Wagner" or "Bendix", I've a lot more confidence that the metallurgy and machining are closer to OEM than if the part has no identification what so ever. The brand name would indicate to me that someone is monitoring the quality control, if only to limit their own liability in the USA.

I understand that, and agree, but I was making the point that many name brand parts are made in China these days. Like you, I do not by knock off parts. The last set of rotors I bought were Brembo, a top Euro maker and those possibly are made in China or India these days.

Two months ago, I was in Spain at a plant that made shock absorbers and axles. This was part of a private company that had about 30 plants (none in the US). They were being bought by a US private equity firm. Most of their customers were big, name brand trucking firms and some auto firms. Names like Volvo and Audi sound familiar? Interestingly, they supplied Bilstein, a maker of aftermarket suspension parts.

I understand that, and agree, but I was making the point that many name brand parts are made in China these days. Like you, I do not by knock off parts. The last set of rotors I bought were Brembo, a top Euro maker and those possibly are made in China or India these days.

Two months ago, I was in Spain at a plant that made shock absorbers and axles. This was part of a private company that had about 30 plants (none in the US). They were being bought by a US private equity firm. Most of their customers were big, name brand trucking firms and some auto firms. Names like Volvo and Audi sound familiar? Interestingly, they supplied Bilstein, a maker of aftermarket suspension parts.
I think we are in violent agreement. :D

But back to the OP's question, it can be difficult to know for sure if a non-OEM fluid or part is adequate, but it helps if there is national branding behind the fluid / part to give some confidence that someone takes responsibility for its suitability for the intended usage.

Back
Top Bottom