Car dealers and the games they play.

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I took my truck to the dealer today to get the oil changed and tires rotated. They ran a good deal on it so no issue there. However, the game they play is the "recommended" service suggestions. Standing there, he said my truck was due for a fuel injection cleaning. I said no thank you. My truck is a 2021 with 25K miles on it. When I pick up the truck, he says that he wrote the recommended services on the receipt. Fuel injection service $199 and a new one - flushing the brake fluid $160.

So, I get home and look in the manual for these recommended services. The fuel injection service isn't even in the maintenance schedule. The brake fluid service is in the maintenance schedule but it's based on years - 5 years.

Isn't this some sort of fraud/deception? I know better, but does the average person? I don't think so. I feel that if the dealer says "recommended", it should be based on the manufacturer's published maintenance schedule.

I know better, but does the average person?

I think the average person does, or figures it out pretty quickly. I remember those kinds of shenanigans back from my first cars, as a very young woman who knew little more than how to check her oil. It is sleazy.

But I'd expect it more from cheapy oil change places that I used to go to. Not the dealer. I'd probably write to the GM and let them know you are not happy with their business practice.

Dealerships make their money in service work and are trained to get business in that fashion.

Their bread and butter are doing machinic work and having the shop full and back logged at all times. I had an owner of a dealership actually tell me that.

That's why they have earned the name stealerships.

Look at your brake fluid. Is it dirty or tinged? Fine debris? Yes, it may be a 5 year suggestion, but different people drive differently. Fluid gets hot, absorbs moisture, causes mini boils, steam, that blows seals. While I, too, do not trust dealerships, I think it is good to have a steady mechanic you can trust, to give you some advice.

The only mistake you made was going to the dealership for non-warranty work. Oil change and tire rotation? Any garage can do that, probably quicker and less costly than the dealer, too.

The service manager makes money for the dealership by getting more work done. It's his job to increase revenue. The mechanic just fixes the car.

The only mistake you made was going to the dealership for non-warranty work. Oil change and tire rotation? Any garage can do that, probably quicker and less costly than the dealer, too.

The service manager makes money for the dealership by getting more work done. It's his job to increase revenue. The mechanic just fixes the car.

A good Service Manager is worth their weight in dollars to the dealership, but they are not the customers friend.

I don't like going to dealers for service.

Not only due to their upsells but also most are located in busy streets several miles away.

Not sure why attempts to upsell un-needed services at the dealership is any surprise. Been going on forever.

They ran a deal last year. $199 for 4 services (oil, filter, tire rotation). I was very surprised because my truck takes 8 quarts. I called before I went there to buy it to ask if there was an upcharge for the extra oil - no. Even the clerk writing me up said - wow, that's a pretty good deal. So, not a mistake.

Also, even without the deal, oil changes are loss leaders for a dealer. I can usually get a good price with a coupon to at least match an independent shop.

Of course, it's a loss leader so they can get you in there to upsell you. Thankfully, I'm aware of this. Still, it is not right the way they roll. If it were legitimately needed service and they just charged more, that would be one thing. But this "recommended" bs is disgraceful.

Not sure why attempts to upsell un-needed services at the dealership is any surprise. Been going on forever.

Precisely. Dealerships will run service specials, like $59.99 oil and filter changes. The idea is to get you in the door and then upsell you on other services they say your vehicle needs to have done. I get my oil changed and look at their recommendations and say, "I'll take this under advisement and keep an eye on it. Thanks for bringing it up."

And then I leave.

Yeah, doesn't surprise me they are trying to rip you off for services that you don't need. Even the shop I go to for oil changes like to check other things that they can try to get more $ from me.

I made the mistake years ago of letting a dealership replace my cabin filter.

My most recent oil change was about $25 net after all fees using a mailed coupon.

Gasoline is a pretty strong solvent by itself. Ask yourself why you would need to have the injectors cleaned on a car you drive daily?:D

When I resurrected my grandson's Mustang that had been sitting in the garage for 4 YEARS without being started even once, I charged the battery, filled the tires, and it cranked right up and ran. Within two days, the gummed up injectors cleaned themselves. Oh, and that was with tank gas that sat for 4 YEARS.

And you don't even want to know what that "fuel injector cleaning service" consists of. It is a scam.

Agree. Gasoline additives are all you need.

Same story for me.

Took my 2006 Highlander in for its 203,500 mile oil change, tire rotation, and inspection yesterday.

Service mgr. recommended the brake fluid and fuel injection 'services' which I said I might consider on a future visit.

omni

I actually tried to get my independent to do the brake fluid and he wouldn't do it, saying it was fine, no water intrusion detected.

I think I'll keep him.

The only mistake you made was going to the dealership for non-warranty work.
I've heard this my whole life and I still go to the dealer for service. Why? I've tried a couple of different local mechanics that friends recommended and didn't find them significantly cheaper than the dealership. They were also way less convenient because the dealership gives me a "free" loaner car. With the independent shop, I had to pay for a rental and make those arrangements in advance for them to pick me up when I took my car in, and then drop me off when the car was ready. Pain in the butt and an added expense that offset any savings as well as added time to the process.

One thing to look at is the schedule for extreme use or something worded similar... they recommend a lot of things before the normal schedule...

I think most dealers and even repair shops always go on that schedule..

I remember telling the guy at Honda when they wanted me to do a lot of stuff that I only do what the car wants me to do as it had a maintenance minder.. unfortunately for me just went over 105,000 miles and needed over $2400 or work... and then shortly after the front wheel bearings started making noise and dropped another $900..

I don't like going to dealers for service.

Not only due to their upsells but also most are located in busy streets several miles away.

My property abuts a GMC dealership, in 29 years all I have ever done is buy a part from their parts dept, that was 25 years ago.
Last replacement Part for a GMC was a door handle from Amazon. I had repaired it twice over 5 or 10 years, and then I saw Amazon had it for $13.
My baking soda and superglue held, it broke in new areas.

.... They were also way less convenient because the dealership gives me a "free" loaner car. With the independent shop, I had to pay for a rental and make those arrangements in advance for them to pick me up when I took my car in, and then drop me off when the car was ready. Pain in the butt and an added expense that offset any savings as well as added time to the process.

I have this situation as well. The independent shops in my area prefer you to drop the car off, but do not provide a loaner. Getting a "wait" appointment is at least 10 days out. Their wait areas tend to be spartan. So I have to schedule service when I can get rides to drop off and pick up the car, which can become very inconvenient when they decide "we cannot finish the work today".

Meanwhile, the dealerships I use provide a free loaner for however long they have your car, and also give you at least a day grace period). If you do wait, their waiting area is like a clean office, with couches/desks/cubicles and free wifi/drinks/snacks.

I also go to an independent shop that has gotten high ranking, but they have tried to upsell me more than the dealers have. While for basic service they are usually cheaper, the benefits provided by these dealers can be worth it at times.

They ran a deal last year. $199 for 4 services (oil, filter, tire rotation). I was very surprised because my truck takes 8 quarts. I called before I went there to buy it to ask if there was an upcharge for the extra oil - no. Even the clerk writing me up said - wow, that's a pretty good deal. So, not a mistake.
Must be my math, you said for "4 services" but only named 3. What was the forth service? Maybe air in your tires.:LOL:

Last edited:
... Isn't this some sort of fraud/deception? I know better, but does the average person? I don't think so. I feel that if the dealer says "recommended", it should be based on the manufacturer's published maintenance schedule.

Yes, I think so. The average person who isn't mechanically inclined is going to interpret recommended as recommended by the manufacturer and not differentiate between services recommended by the manufacturer with services recommended by dealer. And no disrespect, but more often than not it will be a woman... dealers take advantage of unsuspecting women all the time and I hate it.

It is totally self serving for a dealer to recommend services like fuel injection cleaner and replacing brake fluid that are not on the manufacturer's maintenance schedule.

I actually tried to get my independent to do the brake fluid and he wouldn't do it, saying it was fine, no water intrusion detected.

I think I'll keep him.

I've had the same experience. He said he'd tell me when its time for brake fluid. I think I got an unneeded valve adjustment. He said they sounded ok but I knew that they were due for adjustment based on the mileage recommendation.

Last edited:
Must be my math, you said for "4 services" but only named 3. What was the forth service? Maybe air in your tires.:LOL:

No. I get those 3 services 4 times for $199. So $50 for each visit.

That's a good deal if you do all 4. My last oil/filter change and tire rotation at the dealer was $70. Ditto for at independent shop in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom