Do you chase the bling?

Bling shines, glitters or generally attracts attention. Like a red Ferrari it is impractical and expensive...it screams hey look at me I've got the money.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Last edited:
What about very fine, expensive artwork? Bought for its beauty, not with the canny eye toward "it'll be worth more some day"?

And breast implants. Do those count as bling? Just wondering, since the definition is under debate.

And breast implants. Do those count as bling? Just wondering, since the definition is under debate.

And underwear--there are some mighty fine lacy items that cost beau oup bucks that no one will ever know about....

And underwear--there are some mighty fine lacy items that cost beau oup bucks that no one will ever know about....

Bling must be observable at a glance...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Last edited:
I know folks who are into bling. A friend mentioned she was going to bid on a used birkin bag at a charity auction - but would only go up to $4k. :blink: The next time I saw her I asked if she got it - nope - the *used* purse went for over $50k. :cool: (Apparently it was one of the more sought after colors.)

I tend towards function over form... but have been known to spend more money than others on things that appeal to me. I have no regrets about buying pricey Briggs and Riley luggage (on sale)...

Purses, jewelry, watches, fancy cars... those aren't my thing... but if they made me happy, I'd have no problem spending the money (after shopping for value/sales/looking for used bargains.)

I know folks who are into bling. A friend mentioned she was going to bid on a used birkin bag at a charity auction - but would only go up to $4k. :blink: The next time I saw her I asked if she got it - nope - the *used* purse went for over $50k. :cool: (Apparently it was one of the more sought after colors.)

I tend towards function over form... but have been known to spend more money than others on things that appeal to me. I have no regrets about buying pricey Briggs and Riley luggage (on sale)...

Purses, jewelry, watches, fancy cars... those aren't my thing... but if they made me happy, I'd have no problem spending the money (after shopping for value/sales/looking for used bargains.)

Wow!!! $50K for a purse?

If I had $50K looking for a home, I would either buy another rental property, or top up my TFSA and go on some more trips.

I hear you Meadbh. I was stunned. I'd never heard of birkin bags before this conversation with my friend... apparently they are a specific line of Hermes bags that are very much in vogue with the jet set crowd.

Both my deceased wife and mother in law were into bling. Big time. When my wife died I had 2 stuffed jewelry armoires to sort through. Gold, silver, stones, rings, chains, pendants, button covers.

I made 3 piles;

1) Good stuff
2) Good costume stuff
3) Junk

The good stuff w/o stones I sold when gold was $1300/oz for 5 grand. Bought a motorcycle for cash.

The good stuff with stones I still keep in the safe, about 10 grand worth

I have about 3 pounds of costume stuff in bags somewhere

The junk I just tossed inna trash.

That nugget I posted almost got tossed in the trash too as it was small and in a "junk drawer" with plastic button covers.

Good thing I looked close eh - :)

I have absolutely no problem with somebody buying something they really want. More power to them! It's their money (and thank goodness, not mine).

Strangely, the fact that it's a used purse bothers me even more than the price. After thinking about it, I decided that I was completely wrong to feel that way. BTDT and now I just personally "have a thing" about my own purses being new.

But it's not me buying the purse, and if it makes somebody else happy to buy a used purse :yuk: then I'm glad.

Last edited:
How do you chase bling. Does it move on its own?

Sometimes I just can't help spending money on impulse purchases.

Just last week I bought 4 new drivers and two steers for the semi. My brother bought 4 new tires for the trailer. (He did put 4 new on the trailer last year, so we are about even.) The plan is to put 4 more new drivers on the semi next summer, so we have new rubber all around.

When the dogs walk down the row of trucks at the grain elevator, I'm sure they will pay attention to those shiny new tires on that old red Freightliner! To each their own version of bling!

Bling....well I do have a titanium bicycle...with DuraAce. Yes I have one piece of bling and I keep it in my living room, close to me.

What is this "bling" stuff?

I guess that means I don't chase it. But today I did spend $315.30 (including tax) on a brand-spankin'-new Stihl model HS-45 hedge trimmer if that counts.

Now we're talking. I've had an HS-46CE for a couple of years. Hot knife through margarine! Keep an eye on it though... it took me 4 months to get my pole saw back from my neighbour!

Bling....well I do have a titanium bicycle...with DuraAce. Yes I have one piece of bling and I keep it in my living room, close to me.

I have a titanium hip implant with a ceramic cup insert and keep it with me at all times. I suppose that's "medical bling" as I could have opted for stainless steel and polyethylene instead.

I am guilty of being on my third BMW, average age when bought was 2 years old, so at least I let someone else pay the first few payments. I also got into watches, told myself the MSRP $1,000 Hamilton Automatic for $600 was a good deal and would last a lifetime....then it broke. $25 sport watches for me from now on, and when this car dies I'm getting a used Mazda 3 or equivalent. But I think if I hadn't done it I'd wonder....

I like to walk around and think, I COULD pay cash for that piece of blingedy bling bling and I could pay cash for that bling bling a bling bling over there but I don't because I'll be demonstrating real bling soon enough when I don't set an alarm any more. Besides, if you listen closely to the radios in most of those bright red Italian mid-life crises, the only song that plays is "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go...".

I have a titanium hip implant with a ceramic cup insert and keep it with me at all times. I suppose that's "medical bling" as I could have opted for stainless steel and polyethylene instead.

My only bling - also with me at all times - a titanium wrist implant. Didn't cost me a penny - worker's comp paid for the whole thing. :facepalm:

Last edited:
At least you knew who had your saw. We just "lost" a second aluminum ladder from our garage, and a few years back somebody (neighbor's landscaper, I'm sure) walked down our driveway and plucked our electric hedge trimmer from the garage. We couldn't prove anything and never got it back.

Since it seems impossible for the household to keep the garage doors closed all day (everyone goes in and out that way), I have decreed that the new electric chainsaw will live in the basement.

Casual daytime theft...hazard of large-lot living.

N it took me 4 months to get my pole saw back from my neighbour!

I think we all have "things" that we like to splurge on. For some it may be designer clothes or fancy cars or expensive restaurant meals. While I don't care about these things, I do enjoy having the latest iPhone and a nice Macbook Pro, yet I know plenty of people who couldn't tell my iPhone from one that was four years old.

So while I don't chase the "bling" that you refer to, I do have my things that I enjoy splurging on.

Well said. I have hobbies that are not cheap. I think you can do both. Not go crazy on hobbies but still have fun and plan for a early retirement.

I like to walk around and think, I COULD pay cash for that piece of blingedy bling bling and I could pay cash for that bling bling a bling bling over there but I don't because I'll be demonstrating real bling soon enough when I don't set an alarm any more. Besides, if you listen closely to the radios in most of those bright red Italian mid-life crises, the only song that plays is "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go...".

I think you'd be surprised. Guy behind my house (we share a common alleyway) a retired dentist and his wife, he's into cars. has 6 various vintage beauties. 2 he keeps at the house, other 4 he keeps in a garage he rents.

He'll tell you once you get to know him, it's just him and the misses, they don't like to travel, 1 grown kid, no grands and he loves cars. always has.

some times it really is that simple. He's got a gorgeous red jaguar convertable that I tried to swap my kid for. Contrary to popular belief, he didn't buy it to impress anyone, he got it because him and his wife love to drive.

loo, so if you listen to his radio you'll probably hear the Eagles "take it easy" or Nat King Cole "get your kicks on Rt 66"

Don't think I "chase" anything but do like certain "nice" things. We all spend our money as we see fit and as long as we can afford it why should anybody else care? Some people like electronics(not me), cars (guilty), nice houses (guilty), nice clothes(semi guilty), watches(semi guilty). I certainly don't buy anything to impress others which is probably the definition of "bling". Or is it "something somebody else displays that we think is in bad taste"? By this definition you are unlikely to get anyone to admit to "chasing" it. Or are we really talking about chasing the opposite sex that looks flashy? Anyway, not much else to talk about on this lazy summer day.

The only bling I wear is s Rolex watch bought by my loving DW as a Christmas gift for me a couple of years ago. I've bought her three pieces of jewelry from Tiffany's over the years. The watch and the jewelry were all in the four figure range, so not really high end, but very nice. It was all very affordable and we've agreed that's enough wearable bling. Traveling will be our largest discretionary expense from now on.

Enjoying life!

Back
Top Bottom