Do I have Sucker on My Forehead

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last August our son who lives downtown Houston went to the Animal shelter and adopted a dog. He gets a Staffordshire Terrior Bull Terrior mix. This dog was so cute. He was 8 months old weighed 37 lbs. Our son has him 3 weeks and says I can’t keep him I am too busy. The pound says if you bring him back he is deemed unadoptable and put down. So we take the dog for a while …….Now the good he was house broke a few commands eats like a horse
He is the most loving dog we have ever owned Now the bad , this dog can jump
Like a rabbit we have dog toys all over the place , he is like a bowling ball when he comes through the house you get out of his way. We have had to put him in a kennel at night because when we go to bed in 30 minutes he sneaks into the bedroom and tries to get in bed with us . We have grown attached to this guy and neither have the heart to give him up . I have told him he is going to go back to a rescue and he will come lay on my lap and stare at me. He is too big for a lap do Uhhhh .

You are not the first and will not be the last.

We also somehow ended up with DS's doggo as we couldn't let her go into a shelter . . .

Can he spend the night in a large, comfortable, "crate" (cage) - until he calms down?

Last edited:
Last August our son who lives downtown Houston went to the Animal shelter and adopted a dog. He gets a Staffordshire Terrior Bull Terrior mix. This dog was so cute. He was 8 months old weighed 37 lbs. Our son has him 3 weeks and says I can’t keep him I am too busy. The pound says if you bring him back he is deemed unadoptable and put down. So we take the dog for a while …….Now the good he was house broke a few commands eats like a horse
He is the most loving dog we have ever owned Now the bad , this dog can jump
Like a rabbit we have dog toys all over the place , he is like a bowling ball when he comes through the house you get out of his way. We have had to put him in a kennel at night because when we go to bed in 30 minutes he sneaks into the bedroom and tries to get in bed with us . We have grown attached to this guy and neither have the heart to give him up . I have told him he is going to go back to a rescue and he will come lay on my lap and stare at me. He is too big for a lap do Uhhhh .
No, not sucker. Just a good old dog lover. I'm the same way. :)

Sounds like a nice dog. Maybe needs more chance to burn off energy.

Pretty irresponsible of your son to get a pet without thinking it through, leaving you holding the bag.

So if you travel, will your son look after the dog for the time you are away ? That's a big reason we don't get a pet as it would really muck up our many weeks of travel.

I grew up with all sorts of pets and think they are wonderful, as long as they fit your lifestyle and are well taken care of.

You are not the first and will not be the last.

We also somehow ended up with DS's doggo as we couldn't let her go into a shelter . . .

Can he spend the night in a large, comfortable, "crate" (cage) - until he calms down?

One of our best dogs was a rescue (rescued from our daughter). She bought the dog after graduation from high school against our advice. About a year later, her life couldn’t deal with a dog. We took it and had it for over 10 years.

We’d get another dog but that Lise hurt so much that were a bit gun shy. Plus, it’s definitely a consideration if you want to do any kind of travel.

Oh he spends time in the big crate . DW says she talks to him in her mom voice and he goes to the cage and hides. We live on 10 acres so he tries to make friends with the donkey . The donkey just shrugs at him. This dog is afraid of his shadow , he chased a squirrel and another one came out of a tree behind him and ran like someone was chasing him. He has that deep talking noise like he is trying to talk . I will watch football and he will start to make these whining growling noises . Let him out he goes to the bathroom . Get the frisbee let’s play chase me ….hope he grows up soon .

If you really want to rehome him, call Camo Rescue in Pinehurst, TX (near Magnolia) and they will take him and find him a new home. They NEVER had a dog put down. I got my new dog (Birdie), a rescue, from them. They are truly a wonderful organization.

Or, like others have said, bring him to a trainer and see what they can do with his attitude. But if he's young, he will still be full of it!

Birdie.jpg

Last edited:
He is a terrier. Terriers are turbo charged for the first few years but eventually settle down. They are super smart and adore their owners. If you can wait it out you will find out just how great he can be.

Oh he spends time in the big crate . DW says she talks to him in her mom voice and he goes to the cage and hides. We live on 10 acres so he tries to make friends with the donkey . The donkey just shrugs at him. This dog is afraid of his shadow , he chased a squirrel and another one came out of a tree behind him and ran like someone was chasing him. He has that deep talking noise like he is trying to talk . I will watch football and he will start to make these whining growling noises . Let him out he goes to the bathroom . Get the frisbee let’s play chase me ….hope he grows up soon .
We have a farm dog, says out the whole day, sleep in a crate inside. It has been 2 years but she hasn't calmed down. She is a jumper too. Jumps to my head. Sure scars a s**t out of the new people.

PS: She loves to (kick and) "chase" empty milk jug. Free toys for us.

. . .

Pretty irresponsible of your son to get a pet without thinking it through, leaving you holding the bag.

So if you travel, will your son look after the dog for the time you are away ? . . .

:2funny:

Oh you were probably talking to OP . . .

This story has been played out a million times. Someone gets a dog and someone else ends up taking care of it.

A good trainer may cost a few $$$ but well worth it. They completely changedour dog's behavior. Good luck

Sounds like a good idea.

One of our best dogs was a rescue (rescued from our daughter). She bought the dog after graduation from high school against our advice. About a year later, her life couldn’t deal with a dog. We took it and had it for over 10 years.

We’d get another dog but that Lise hurt so much that were a bit gun shy. Plus, it’s definitely a consideration if you want to do any kind of travel.

Yes, the doggo definitely grabbed ahold of our hearts - and has greatly impacted our ability to travel together.

He does sound as if he has a very sweet personality.

With a bit of serious training - he will probably have you just where he wants you . . .

He'll learn and calm down with time and it sounds like he loves you very much. I'm betting he's never going back but you already know that don't you?
When my foster failure Buddy is about to stand and put his paws on my shoulder I walk forward into him and step on his paws. When he backs off and sits as instructed, I give him a biscuit to show no hard feelings and he's definitely getting the message. He's a 65lb German Shepherd pup and I'm also dealing with every single issue that you mention but he's part of the family now and his good points far outweigh his bad. I feel super safe with him around, he looks and sounds a lot fiercer than he really is. He's actually a big baby but you wouldn't know it to look at him.

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_180254988.jpg
    IMG_20230819_180254988.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 15
What a familiar story. My son adopted a 84lb husky shepherd mix that’s a year old and my son is his third home so he has separation anxiety and can’t be boarded. 5 years later he’s traveling for his job and Noki is now 8 so he’s big, black and old which doesn’t bode well for his future in Kansas. We drove across the country to rescue the big guy. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had. He lived another five years. The first week I had him he fought off a pit that was trying to attack me.

It's good you like the dog. I am a dog lover, but not crazy about small dogs.

I get my dogs at Rescues when they are puppies. I have grown fond of Aussie Sheppard mutts with Black and Tan coats. They are my buddies and we start each day with a 4 mile walk to/back the dog park. They are the best behaved dogs I have ever had and never complain about what I have to say.

When my older daughter was 17 she wanted a little dog and I said no. She worked on her mother and I came home and found a Pomeranian. She SWORE she would take care of it forever, She SWORE she understood the lifetime commitment

A year later, I can't take a dog to college Dad
4 years later- I have a small apartment Dad, I can't take Dogs
2 years later (new house with yard), I don't want a dog Dad. She then went and got 2 cats

I had to take care of a Dog I didn't want nor really liked for 15 years. At least I also had Dogs that I wanted

My dogs are great and make sure I don't nap too long when it is time for a walk :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-22 212918.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-22 212918.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 11
What a familiar story. My son adopted a 84lb husky shepherd mix that’s a year old and my son is his third home so he has separation anxiety and can’t be boarded. 5 years later he’s traveling for his job and Noki is now 8 so he’s big, black and old which doesn’t bode well for his future in Kansas. We drove across the country to rescue the big guy. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had. He lived another five years. The first week I had him he fought off a pit that was trying to attack me.
Yep, you take care of them and they'll take care of you. All they want in return is food, shelter and lots and lots of love.

Perhaps this thread and the Withdrawal Strategies thread should be merged.

Ah, never mind it.

Romer, you are a wonderful person for taking care of a dog that you didn’t want for 15 years!!

Another recommendation to have the dog trained in your home. Our friends just paid $5K to have their dog trained in their home and all bad behaviors are gone. It is well worth it.

Romer, you are a wonderful person for taking care of a dog that you didn’t want for 15 years!!

+1

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter and two different animal rescues, and I have to agree with Teacher Terry here.

Romer, many, many people would not have stepped up like you did for that little dog. You are a good (dog) person! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom