Do you chase the bling?

I buy clothes at the Thrift store. DW says I dress like a beach bum. I always say, "Thank you, that's exactly the look I'm going for." My 2 cars are 19 and 15 years old.

However...

Lots of hobby bling... 8 guitars, a pair of Klipsch corner horns, garage full of Delta and Grizzly machines. DW owns a '06 BMW that she loves, and I hate. I guess the big dreamhouse is bling until we eventually wise up and downsize... 4.5k sq ft on 2.2 acres with a pool and pond.

So yeah, we have some "bling" that makes us happy, but I would not characterize our behavior as "chasing." Most of it we've owned for decades. And certainly our intent is not to impress others.

+1 Saved me from creating a book on LUTB (Living Under the Bridge). 18 year old Lincoln, 20 year old Cadillac, 7 guitars and ukes, a dozen or more recorders. harmonicas, 6 electric synthesizers and pianos, 6 tablets,
11 desktops, and laptops, uncountable TV's "Players", CB's, walkie-talkies 8 bicycles, 3 motor scooters, a golf cart.

Two or three of every kind of lawncare tool imaginable, and two, three or four
pieces of every hand and power tool, as well as A/C, welding, and electrical test equipment.

Except for some early purchases made 50 to 60 years ago, almost everything was salvaged and repaired from junque, or bought for ten cents on the dollar.

All clothes are top named brands, selectively purchased at our favorite resale shops... indistinguishable from new. Favorites are almost new, (my size) SAS, NB, Floorsheim, footwear. We lovingly call our outlets "dead man's stores", considering ourselves conservationists and environmentalists.... avoiding waste and keeping "stuff" out of the landfills.

Lest it sound like all of this is kept in a garage or a barn, it's spread between our house, our mfg home in FL, and our lakeside camp at Woodhaven.

Thus said, though... no "Bling".

I have a lot of money in my guitars, but I play them regularly. I guess they could be considered "bling" since each one is relatively expensive.

It is not unusual for someone to invest in a particular hobby, even those of us who are otherwise very frugal.

Which is totally cool but I guess what I have a problem with is this "air of superiority" we here project about what we spend our money on. Just the fact of this thread, 'bling=bad" .

Wow I never said bling was bad I just said it didn't work for me. I frankly am a bit envious that some people get real enjoyment out some bling. Be it a purse a watch or whatever. I see stuff as the enemy. I just know I'm going to trip over it.

But as long as we are on the topic - You do realize that the average American that carries a credit card balance has $15,000 of debt. No soap opera here but that could be $3k year of interest. So you think every time someone walks into a car dealership they don't buy more car then they should because of the bling factor? How much of that debt was for impulse bling purchases? Bling dependency can be a real curse.

I see mistakes made every day because of the bling... Do I feel superior -naah. I just think to-myself that's a mistake, they don't see it and I could never convince them otherwise. It is that whole I want it now... I've watched a show where a budget guy tries to save a family in a financial down spin. The wife just won't stop spending "I want it now" he explains she will be ruined. She continues to spend. Sometimes bling can be bad.

I've experienced the stress of not having much growing up - if laying off the bling got me were I am today -well, it was worth it.

If I don't post for a while don't just rejoice ...send an ambulance I must of tripped over some junk she's got in the garage...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Last edited:
About 36% of Americans have a passport. So you are in good company. The percentage of Canadians holding a valid passport is 57%. A little surprising given the fact that Americans are generally wealthier than Canadians. Maybe you could draw the conclusions that Americans are more content with their home Country than Canadians? Or that Canadians value international travel more than Americans?

I'm seeing higher numbers than that for Canada, but also lower numbers for US citizens as far as actually *using* said passports. I'm betting the majority of Americans are either driving in/out of Canada/Mexico or stepping off of cruise ships in various Caribbean nations. Not exactly world travelers...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...-why-americans-travel-domestic-instead-1.html

Do you chase the bling?

Somewhat. I had an implant done a year ago and liked it so well, I'm having the corresponding tooth done on the other side of my mouth. :( Each implant roughly $3,500. I guess I'm not a true blinger as I didn't buy gold crowns. ;)

Yeah, I've had 4 implants over the years and would gladly get more if the necessity came up. My dentist was researching what torque he had to put on the prosthetic tooth for mine in comparison to the ones another patient had (I love his curiosity!) and did inform me that they had gold screws.:)

Yeah, I've had 4 implants over the years and would gladly get more if the necessity came up. My dentist was researching what torque he had to put on the prosthetic tooth for mine in comparison to the ones another patient had (I love his curiosity!) and did inform me that they had gold screws.:)

Gold doesn't rust and it's probably 10 - 14 carat for strength. (carat guess on my part)

Now my hip joint post is titanium and glued into my leg bone (for strength and corrosion resistance) with a ceramic cup in my pelvis. My plate in my arm is stainless steel as that was installed long before titanium was in vogue. The screws are stainless steel also.

It's all good!

Guilty as charged. But I patiently waited 40 years.

4S.jpg

That would be a yes...

DS has told me I've bought too many dresses for my 2 year old granddaughter - my first and only grandchild so far. Costco, Walmart and a great deal on Amazon Prime day - maybe 6 dresses total. I plead guilty! That my only bling so far.

DS has told me I've bought too many dresses for my 2 year old granddaughter - my first and only grandchild so far. Costco, Walmart and a great deal on Amazon Prime day - maybe 6 dresses total. I plead guilty! That my only bling so far.

I'm pretty sure your 2 year old granddaughter CANNOT have too many dresses from Gramma..... :)

I'm pretty sure I grew up "blingless" and have remained "blingless". My children were raised "blingless" and have remained "blingless". The relatives? Not so much. But some of them also have more bankruptcies than me and/or will be working until they are 70.

I just always look at it as "life's choices and live with the consequences". Lots of people have bling AND retire early. Others have to make some choices. We are happy with ours.

I also have a rule of thumb. I don't lend money to any relative that has had nicer cars than me. That pretty much rules everyone out except my kids :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Interesting- my only grandchild is also a 2-year old granddaughter. I love her to pieces, but I've bought her a few books, a couple of music CDs, and opened a 529 account for her. That's it. I know some people go nuts on the grandkids, but DS and DDIL have a small house and DDIL does a great job of keeping our granddaughter clothed and supplied with toys and books form the second-hand shops. I see no need to add to the pile, especially since other family members (including an aunt and uncle who can't have kids) are going a little overboard buying her things.

Ah... then I realized the EXPERIENCES where I happily foot the bill. Oops.:facepalm: Rented an SUV to take them on a road trip to a family wedding and paid for hotels, paid for one of their tickets to bring them to Myrtle Beach to visit my parents last Christmas, dinner at various BBQ places in our area when they visit and also at a very nice restaurant where there's a birthday to celebrate, admission to the Zoo, the Aquarium and other fun stuff...

I guess we all have our different versions of bling!

I think the distinguishing factor of bling, versus buying stuff in general, or spending or traveling lavishly, is that bling is designed to draw attention to the owner of said bling. No one on the street knows whether I even own a guitar. Not that any of my guitars are extravagant...

Not sure buying dresses for a DGD is all that blingy, unless they're designer label.

I'm seeing higher numbers than that for Canada, but also lower numbers for US citizens as far as actually *using* said passports. I'm betting the majority of Americans are either driving in/out of Canada/Mexico or stepping off of cruise ships in various Caribbean nations. Not exactly world travelers...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...-why-americans-travel-domestic-instead-1.html
Most Traveled People has 11 of the top 20 as Americans. I am ranked 3481 having visited 136 countries of which the US is just one.

But in the US. I have visited 37 of the 50 states. And I enjoyed many of them immensely. I can see the attraction, especially among the fearful. As a Canadian, after BC. Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia/PEI (6), the US offers a big draw. Especially for skiing and snowbirding.

I have held a passport continuously since 1964 but I must admit that I keep going back to my favourite countries, Mexico and Europe.

It occurs to me that many of us don't live the bling lifestyle...
-- When I get in my 115K CRV and drive to work this morning as long as the a/c and radio works I'm good. Besides I'll be passing that soup kitchen on the way to work and I wouldn't feel good about that.

-- I'm pretty invisible in that CRV - now if I were in a Rolls not only would I feel exposed. Passerby's might spit on the car. -One percenters are not all that popular these days.. And there's that whole Who do you wanna rob? A guy driving a 11 year old CRV or a guy in the Rolls?

-- yesterday It was 90 something here and I weeded the garden with a loop hoe after having edged and trimmed the lawn. It was quite the workout. Now you could imagine I wasn't a very pretty sight at - All sweaty and covered in bits of lawn and weeds... I doubt the best bling in the world would would do anything for my image. Of course when I came in the house I said to the wife for fun you wanna snuggle? "Get away from me..."

-- I also just cleaned the engine on the CRV - long overdue and pretty nasty. I am not sure but I don't think Blingers do that.

-- generally my summer attire is shorts, a tee shirt and sandals. The GQ blingers have not really jumped on the look. my wife always says my shorts are too short and are out of style too... Well what do you know- Me outta style Naah...

I think if I had a Blingers card they would ask for it back.. Like Woody Allen said -I'm not sure I'd want to belong to any club that would have me as a member..

Last edited:
I think we need to agree on a definition of "bling" before we start talking about our old high mileage cars. I suggest two factors are needed. Certainly needs to be ostentatious, that is easily seen by others. I thing big gold jewellery a la 'Mr T" or outrageous suits like Don Cherry. (This might be a Canadian only example-sorry).

Another characteristic, at least in my opinion, is that it should generally be in bad taste. This one is a little subjective but in my opinion excludes some expensive cars or tasteful designer clothes. An metallic orange Corvette of Ferrari would probably qualify, but a black M5 or Tesla model S, probably wouldn't..

Seems like the general view here is "if it's expensive, it must be bling". Too broad a definition in my view.

Last edited:
-- I'm pretty invisible in that CRV - now if I were in a Rolls not only would I feel exposed.
I tell people our luggage is so old that people at airports open the bags up and put things in.......and I don't worry about pickpockets because I look like the guy who's about to hit you up for a dollar.

Like Woody Allen said -I'm not sure I'd want to belong to any club that would have me as a member..

Groucho Marx, IIRC. ;)

I tell people our luggage is so old that people at airports open the bags up and put things in.......and I don't worry about pickpockets because I look like the guy who's about to hit you up for a dollar.

;)

I have an LLBean jacket that I bought on sale in 2002 and I wish I had bought several. A nice flattering cut, dark slate blue, just perfect. Anyway after about 10 years of wear DH requested that I move it along. I couldn't (and still can't) bear to part with it so it became my yard work coat. I did resurrect the coat for Europe trips in 2014 and 2015. During the trip in 2015 I bought a navy Barbour jacket, it cost less than $200, but definitely an upgrade, but is understated. All of a sudden people were asking me for money! Out of curiosity for the rest of the trip I switched back and forth between the two coats and nobody asked me for money when I was wearing my favorite old jacket, but I got many requests in the Barbour jacket.

I switched back and forth between the two coats and nobody asked me for money when I was wearing my favorite old jacket, but I got many requests in the Barbour jacket.

The LLBean jacket can now be classified as a preemptive strike, vis-a-vis panhandlers. :D

I think we need to agree on a definition of "bling" before we start talking about our old high mileage cars. I suggest two factors are needed. Certainly needs to be ostentatious, that is easily seen by others. I thing big gold jewellery a la 'Mr T" or outrageous suits like Don Cherry. (This might be a Canadian only example-sorry).

Another characteristic, at least in my opinion, is that it should generally be in bad taste. This one is a little subjective but in my opinion excludes some expensive cars or tasteful designer clothes. An metallic orange Corvette of Ferrari would probably qualify, but a black M5 or Tesla model S, probably wouldn't..

Seems like the general view here is "if it's expensive, it must be bling". Too broad a definition in my view.

It likely...
1. Will be shinny
2. Will have a huge markup
3. Be oh so trendy
4. Be highly recognizable to blingsters in the know
5. Be expensive
6. Be replaceable by something much cheaper
7. Never be described as utilitarian

Oh if the average person could have it the blingsters wouldn't want it.

Ultimately End up dusty and forgotten.

Just saw the 65 inch LG OLED tv today. Now there is some bling I could live with..........

I admit I love my Tokyo stamp in my passport but unlike my Weber teeth grill and my ginormous breast implants, I don't show it to anyone so I don't count it as bling.

bestwife - this is for you. I couldn't fine with a weber logo, though

Attachments

• woman_grillz.jpg
    woman_grillz.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 16
Bling .. Isnt that what they show on the reality tv shows?

I don't see so much of it in my Social Circles

I thought it was body enhancements, such as tattoos and jewelry to impress others.

No, I don't chase the bling. I am just not wired that way. I am content. Somehow if I ever became a multi - millionaire I don't think I would change. I like having money to obtain and keep security not for buying fancy things.

No, I don't chase the bling. I am just not wired that way. I am content. Somehow if I ever became a multi - millionaire I don't think I would change. I like having money to obtain and keep security not for buying fancy things.
Good point. I think bling is for people pretending they have a lot of money. If you really do, bling is unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom