Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #101

All automatics in my Jeep GC, Ford F150, Corvette, and in DW's Acura. I sure wish I would have gone with the stick when I bought the vette.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
All automatics in my Jeep GC, Ford F150, Corvette, and in DW's Acura. I sure wish I would have gone with the stick when I bought the vette.
Somebody told me, maybe 20 years ago, that Corvette's auto trans was so good that it was better than manual. This may have even been before their paddle shifter, or maybe it was when it came out.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
The engine code for the 350HP is L-34. The code for the SS 396 bodies was 138.
I also had a 70 Chevelle but it was beat up. I had a 383 Dodge Magnum that was a screamer..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Somebody told me, maybe 20 years ago, that Corvette's auto trans was so good that it was better than manual. This may have even been before their paddle shifter, or maybe it was when it came out.
The Corvette auto trans is good, but a stick would be fun at times - just not in traffic. I didnt get the manual because the driver sits so low that the shifter is about elbow level - seemed weird compared to manual trans trucks I had before.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Seems not many here are familiar with the use of the hand crank. There were many cars in my youth that needed manual manipulation, with proper technique for cranking...
This is the car with handcrank from my childhood memory: the Citroen 2CV (Deux Chevaux). It had a starter, but could be handcranked in case the battery died. See the attached video. Hand crank is at 1:00. The engine is small, so it does not look that hard.

Wouldn't it be fun to tour Europe with one of these, taking the back roads? I saw a couple of them still running in France 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have always owned stick shift cars - have one now, a Mini Cooper. Great thing about a stick shift is you can push-start the car - did that from AZ to New Orleans in a Fiat 128 Spider - oh the joys of college.....*however* did just experience the absolute death of the Mini due to alternator failure and battery death. Nice piece of metal that does nothing - and the flashing icons on all the different dash elements as the computer dies gets your attention, too.

I have a problem driving automatics as I tend to forget the brake isn't the clutch with the concomitant face meeting front dash inadvertently - I've driven a rental Prius - weird, weird, weird - not much sound and it's as though you really don't need to do anything but steer and work gas/grake - maybe that's why I like a manual transmission - forces me to focus on the driving - what the car is doing, etc. Plus, the German torque of shifting through 6 gears on your way up to 100-120mph is pretty awesome :-) :-) :-)
Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

So my new Scion xD (stick, 5 speed) is EPA-rated at 28 and 33 mpg. As a brainwashed former Prius-owner, I now naturally practice pulse driving and other fuel-sparing driving practices. Some are pretty silly, like waiting til I'm belted, items stashed etc. before turning the key, and others seem meaningful like accelerating a bit downhill, and backing off uphill. I also tend to shift for peak mileage (low RPMs), am a big coaster (anti-tailgaiting). Infrequently I'll pass with a high RPM sprint, but usually I don't.

I'm getting about 35 MPG in mixed driving. In 5k miles or so it will probably settle in at 36 mpg or more.

The manual transmission gives me the control I need, speed v. RPMs v. mileage.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #108

Hey Rich, what happened to save the planet? (heh)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If only there was some way to tow the Prius behind the RV and have it charge the Prius' batteries, then the RV's batteries, or make ice for extra air conditioning, or do something green!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I figure I already accomplished that. Now it's time to get a car I can tow.

Watcha drivin' these days?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #111

98 Taurus with no heat. I hope next year it's warm down here in Florida.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This is the car with handcrank from my childhood memory: the Citroen 2CV (Deux Chevaux). It had a starter, but could be handcranked in case the battery died. See the attached video. Hand crank is at 1:00. The engine is small, so it does not look that hard.

Wouldn't it be fun to tour Europe with one of these, taking the back roads? I saw a couple of them still running in France 6 or 7 years ago.
I loved the 2CV so much! It was a pretty rugged car, you could roll the soft roof in the summer to make a "cabrio" and it was fun to drive. I also loved the peculiar gear shifter and the lawn-mower-style engine sound too!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I loved the 2CV so much! It was a pretty rugged car, you could roll the soft roof in the summer to make a "cabrio" and it was fun to drive. I also loved the peculiar gear shifter and the lawn-mower-style engine sound too!
Sounded like you have driven one. I have not.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have, about 18 years ago. Fun to drive, but I don't know if I would tour Europe in one! I would certainly steer clear of the autobahns.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That "deux chevaux" is just about literal, as is the lawnmower impression...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Hey, for a retiree who has all the time in the world, instead of just sitting around all day "looking really sad", he can take his time to tour Europe on the back roads at 35mph. What can you see from the autobahn? The French freeways we traveled on had high toll fees anyway.

I might just do what I wrote above one of these days. But, I must do this Alaskan thing first...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Better do it soon, NW-Bound, 2CVs are becoming rarities...

"Deux Chevaux" literally means two horses as in two (fiscal) horsepower. In France, people had to buy an annual sticker (tag) and the price was determined by the car's taxable horsepower. In order for the 2CV to remain literally a "Deux Chevaux", the engine could not have more than 2 cylinders and it had to remain under 500 cm3.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Here's another French car that was around when I was growing up. A CitroŽn "Traction Avant" (Front Wheel Drive)!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #119

[QUOTE=calmloki;917756]People with automatics just don't have the starting options - or stories.

Wish I could confirm this AT starting story. Alas I can't, but it was told by a guy who supposedly knew the people involved. For those who go way back, it was actually possible to start an AT car by pushing it. You really had to get it going, though. Perhaps 30 MPH or so.

Today's story goes that a husband couldn't start his AT car so he asked DW to help him by pushing it. He mentioned that she'd have to get up to at least 30 MPH or it wouldn't work. Sure enough, he got into the car and saw his wife approaching the back of his car - at about 30 MPH!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmmmm

What you really want in snow/ice conditions is 4-wheel drive. And ABS. And limited slip differential.

Downshifting will not prevent fishtailing or skidding. In fact, sudden downshifting could even make it worse. The problem is traction.
Actually, what you really really want is the proper tires. I can't tell you how many accidents I've seen because people thought 4wd or AWD would let them do anything they want in snow. 4WD only really helps you when starting out from a stopped position.

My current RWD BMW with a set of Blizzak snow tires and a 6 speed manual has been the best winter car I've driven. It has been much better in snow than my previous AWD Infiniti was. Also, proper rev matching will let you downshift without losing traction or upsetting the balance of the car.