Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have a dishwasher?
Yes!! 116 82.27%
Yes, but it doesn't work 3 2.13%
No!! 22 15.60%
This question is too tough! I never noticed 0 0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Growing up we always had a dishwasher. But as kids we had to scrub all of the food off of the dishes in the sink before loading the dang thing. Basically all the dishwasher did was sanitize the dishes. I used to think that you 'had' to do this. It was quite the revelation that yes you can actually put dirty dishes in and the food comes off with very few exceptions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Few people know...

How A Dishwasher Really Works

Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I'm all for labor-saving robots...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
Growing up we always had a dishwasher. But as kids we had to scrub all of the food off of the dishes in the sink before loading the dang thing. Basically all the dishwasher did was sanitize the dishes. I used to think that you 'had' to do this. It was quite the revelation that yes you can actually put dirty dishes in and the food comes off with very few exceptions.
I remember a coworker saying there was no sense to getting a dishwasher because you had to wash them first anyway.

I just scrape the dishes and put them in. I run the dishwasher on Monday and Friday and don't run the dry cycle.

Had dishwashers in some apartments back in the '70s. I've been in this house since '78 and had a dishwasher put in when I overhauled the kitchen 8 years ago (Whirlpool). I like it. As I mentioned elsewhere, I break/chip fewer things than by hand.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have one and love it. I use it depending on the size of the meal and how many dishes I have used. If it is just he and I the stuff goes in the sink. Parties and big family dinners it goes in the dish washer.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I haven't done any research on it, but I've been wondering lately if a well packed dishwasher is better for the environment than washing by hand.
Yes, it is.

Quote:
you can actually put dirty dishes in and the food comes off with very few exceptions.
There was an effective ad a few years ago in which a woman bakes and frosts a big chocolate layer cake, puts it on a plate, then puts it in the dishwasher. Completely disappears during washing. However, chocolate cakes are extremely water soluble, so it's not so surprising.

BTW, check out the ER Forum cookbook for a recipe for cooking salmon in your dishwasher.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never had one. I generally wash as I use them, and wash anything else while I cook dinner.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #28

i had one in the condo for five years which i never used though i did wind up with a sink full of dirty dishes.

in the house when i redid the kitchen i installed a dishwasher that i use. only now i have a dishwasher full of clean dishes and a sink full of dirty ones.

edit: but my shelves are spotless (&, apparently, dishless).

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a 12-yr old dishwasher that came with the house, but it doesn't work, i.e., it leaves spots of food stains and powder detergent, so we haven't used it in the last 3 or 4 years. This is the first dishwasher I've ever owned, too.

I grew up with no running water but did not have to do dishes. Our live-in maids handled that task with multiple basins of water for rinsing.

Here in the US, with running water, I like washing dishes by hand. It's gratifying to see the results, the before-and-after difference.

We might buy a new dishwasher this year, or we may just put off the purchase again.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #30

Have one, but it came with the house, is pretty old, doesn't work that great, and to top things off is in a separate room (through a door to an unheated area and down steps). It's great when we have company.. but if we ever re-do our kitchen and this unheated pantry, I would consider leaving it out. Most houses here have a big above-the-sink drainer cupboard which also serves as clean storage. We don't have that "luxury" so I continue to use the d/w. The drain/counter space next to the sink is only about 14" x 14"!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in NYC where a dishwasher in an apt is a dream, so basically, I have never had one. It's just me, so as someone said higher up on the thread, it would take forever to fill and I would need the pots again before it got full and have to take them out and clean them by hand anyway.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #32

Yep, in fact I just installed a new seal around the door to stop a leak. The trouble with the dishwasher is there's only two of us and we don't like to use it until it's full. Dishes sit in there a couple of days before they get washed, making them harder to clean. But, we do use it. Then, you get to put them up. Almost seems a waste of time for just two people.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i had one in the condo for five years which i never used though i did wind up with a sink full of dirty dishes.

in the house when i redid the kitchen i installed a dishwasher that i use. only now i have a dishwasher full of clean dishes and a sink full of dirty ones.

edit: but my shelves are spotless (&, apparently, dishless).

One of my non-LBYMs fantasies is to have two dishwashers, one for clean, one for dirty. Never have to put the dishes away.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #34

In the 32 years that my wife and I have been together I have been the dishwasher but our next house will have a mechanical one.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
One of my non-LBYMs fantasies is to have two dishwashers, one for clean, one for dirty. Never have to put the dishes away.
Sounds like the drawer type dishwashers with 2 drawers. That would be nice.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #36

I have a hybrid approach: I use my dishwasher as a drying rack after I clean the dishes manually. This way all my dishes are always ready to go. When I need to use a dish, I take the handwashed dish out of the dishwasher. About once a week when it's full or when company is coming over I run the dishwasher so the dishes are super-spotless.

It's easier to just take the dish out of the dishwasher than to unload the dish into the cabinet and then later take it out of the cabinet.

The downside is that visitors always complain about there not being a drying rack on the countertop and offer to buy me one. In the small kitchens I've had, I've always prefered the counterspace over having a drying rack. But I recently broke down and bought my first drying rack mostly for visitors to use.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #37

Never had one at home.....most likely never will. I don't mind washing dishes the old fashioned way.....by hand. It never takes very long.

Back in the pre-ER days, actually several years pre-ER, I had a dishwasher in my laboratory. But I could get my lab-ware both washed AND disinfected faster by doing it by hand. So a few years ago I ripped out the dishwasher, heaved it into the dumpster, and installed a storage cabinet in it's place.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #38

This thread inspired me to do a patent search for devices that automatically indicate whether the dishes are clean or dirty. There are a handful of inventions that look like they would work, but a web search doesn't show any actually in production.

Now that dishwashers are getting some "smarts" I betcha it won't be long before we see automatic "clean/dirty" indicators on luxury dishwashers. It's easy to reset the indicator to "clean" during the cleaning cycle. The hard part is figuring out when the clean dishes have been unloaded, to set it back to "dirty". Most of the inventions I saw do this by having sort of a lever that you set a dish on... when you remove the last dish it resets to "dirty". If I were a dishwasher manufacturer I might use a strain gauge to determine when the weight of the contents drops to the "empty" level.
Or for a zero-cost solution, just reset it to "dirty" whenever the door is opened for more than say 30 seconds.

I should have been an inventor. After I wrote that I found the 30 second idea has already been patented by Maytag in 1992, and that patent is referenced in LG's 2007 patent on a dishwasher door. So maybe we'll see this commercially soon!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

We have a dishwasher but never use it. Ever. It's only the two of us so it takes no time to wash the dishes by hand. We could use it when we have company for dinner, but our good china and silverware has to be washed by hand.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #40

I'm pretty sure I've seen these offered from several different manufacturers, but kitchen-aide was first on the google hit list.

Some of you might like the idea of a drawer dishwasher:

KitchenAid®: Find Drawer Dishwashers

or an in-sink dishwasher:

KitchenAid® brivaTM in-sink dishwasher

However, at those prices, I'm not sure it's tempting enough.