Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have glass coverage?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have glass coverage?

Just walked out to the car and discovered a vertical crack dead center of the front windshield. On vacation while driving i heard something “what was that”. I didn’t see anything because the rock hit low in the widow. Like black magic a crack appeared where there was none... $500 yes apparently we didn’t think to ask for glass coverage when we moved 13 years ago.

Were having a run of mild bad luck...Is one of you out there giving me the evil eye? Cool Hand’s car and the deer, the furnace, the windshield, the $7k stucco? No complaints mind you just asking.

As it is now I’m afraid to go for a walk...

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

We don't but we have run-of-the-mill cars. I understand that many of the newer cars with accident avoidance systems/lane departure warning systems have windshields that can be VERY expensive to replace.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #3

My insurance company does not have specific "glass coverage" Glass repairs have always been covered as part of my comprehensive insurance coverage. If damage can be filled in with some epoxy-like material, the repair has no deductible. If the window needs replacement, then I pay my comprehensive deductible, currently $50 per occurrence.

My insurance covers rental cars also same as my own vehicles. PA resident.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't. I have been driving for 55 years and never had a windshield crack or break. And now, finally, in my Dream Home I have a garage to put my car in during hailstorms (at last!).

Your price of $500 sounds like a rip-off to me, or maybe my ideas of cost are way out of date. Anyway, if it was me I'd look around a bit before paying that much.

If I broke my windshield, then even at $500, over 55 years, that would be $9/year to cover my windshield costs. Don't need insurance for that.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No.

But do get the chips fixed for free. Seems that our Honda Pilot attracts stones as it has been hit 4 times in 5 years where it needed repair... our 10 yo Elantra has had zero..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't. I have been driving for 55 years and never had a windshield crack or break. And now, finally, in my Dream Home I have a garage to put my car in during hailstorms (at last!).

Your price of $500 sounds like a rip-off to me, or maybe my ideas of cost are way out of date. Anyway, if it was me I'd look around a bit before paying that much.

If I broke my windshield, then even at $500, over 55 years, that would be $9/year to cover my windshield costs. Don't need insurance for that.
The days of $500 repairs will be in past before too long. $1000 or more will be the norm thanks to technology.

https://www.emcins.com/losscontrol/i...d-replacement/

Quote:
The study found that windshield replacements for vehicles equipped with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning systems ranges from $1,200 to $1,600 for aftermarket glass and $1,300 to $1,650 for factory glass, according to the AAA report.
https://www.glassbytes.com/2018/11/a...-replacements/
Old 06-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Administrator

We have had to replace windshields on one vehicle or another about every two years. Insurance covers this with a small deductible. They also cover small repairs of chips, fully.

I think windshield damage is largely determined by the number of miles driven in a year and also the location. In my state we have this:

"...trucks carrying dirt, sand or gravel need to be covered unless they have six inches of freeboard above the bed of the truck".

In practice what this means is that trucks carrying sand and gravel don't have to cover their loads.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Had a crack filled via insurance. They wanted to file a claim to do full replacement glass, I said I didn't want a claim. So they filed a claim when they filled the tiny little chip instead. GRRRR.

Insurance went down so I am not complaining....yet. If we let the chip turn to crack, our windows ice over on the INSIDE of the car in the winter. This kind of adds to the cost of living in a snowy metro area with rock salt getting flung up everywhere.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

I paid about $350 to fix a high school buddies windshield about 19 years ago on his Wagon Subaru. I will never forget that little lesson.

Learned not to trust anyone...we were making a little movie script called for a "fake hit" of his car by a pedestrian...me being the ped, taking the risk, my big butt broke the windshield somehow. Of course I had to cover 100% because, well fair is fair.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in Florida, if you have a comprehensive/collision policy, your replacement windshield is covered. Florida Statute 627.7288 requires auto insurers in Florida to replace or repair their policy holders damaged windshield with zero deductible, or, in other words, for “free.”
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have glass coverage with Amica. I'd be nuts not to in Houston where trucks are everywhere. Just last week we have a new windshield put in our van due to a rock hit. Insurance covered the $728.00 bill.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Older Honda Element with high deductible, so cost is on me. I did just have the windshield replaced last week for $250.28 so windshield replacement on a low tech vehicle is still very reasonable.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because glass losses are high-frequency, low-severity (relatively speaking) events, I would always suggest adding a Full Coverage Glass to your Comprehensive coverage.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

Living in the AZ desert you're lucky to go 1 year without getting at least a small chip in your windshield. Any windshield repair/replacement is covered.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #15

Many of the new generation cars have adaptive cruise control and sensors that beep whenever you cross a line on the highway. They also have a sensor mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. Another sensor is mounted in the grill of the car.

FYI: Those type windshields can cost $1,100 to replace. Insurance company glass damage premiums have not risen to meet the cost of replacement and would be considered a must have at this point in time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #16

No evil eye. If anything you have guardian angels here, Ray.

Get 3 estimates. Check salvage yards too if it’s not important to have brand new glass.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #17

Yes. Amica just paid to replace my F150 window, about $500 for an OEM replacement.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #18

Colorado is notorious for chipped/broken glass. If you have a chip, get it filled. 9 times out of 10 it stops the crack and you hardly notice it.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep. I think its mandatory in my state, has no deductible either. Works great, have used it at least 3 times and I don't even drive that much.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

No, but I wish I did. My F150 took a rock or some kind of debris from a semi truck tire blowout from the other side of the interstate a couple of weeks ago. Cost me $650.