Do you have glass coverage?

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just walked out to the car and discovered a vertical crack dead center of the front windshield. On vacation while driving i heard something “what was that”. I didn’t see anything because the rock hit low in the widow. Like black magic a crack appeared where there was none... $500 yes apparently we didn’t think to ask for glass coverage when we moved 13 years ago.

Were having a run of mild bad luck...Is one of you out there giving me the evil eye? Cool Hand’s car and the deer, the furnace, the windshield, the $7k stucco? No complaints mind you just asking.

As it is now I’m afraid to go for a walk...

Last edited:
We don't but we have run-of-the-mill cars. I understand that many of the newer cars with accident avoidance systems/lane departure warning systems have windshields that can be VERY expensive to replace.

My insurance company does not have specific "glass coverage" Glass repairs have always been covered as part of my comprehensive insurance coverage. If damage can be filled in with some epoxy-like material, the repair has no deductible. If the window needs replacement, then I pay my comprehensive deductible, currently $50 per occurrence.

My insurance covers rental cars also same as my own vehicles. PA resident.

I don't. I have been driving for 55 years and never had a windshield crack or break. And now, finally, in my Dream Home I have a garage to put my car in during hailstorms (at last!).

Your price of $500 sounds like a rip-off to me, or maybe my ideas of cost are way out of date. Anyway, if it was me I'd look around a bit before paying that much.

If I broke my windshield, then even at $500, over 55 years, that would be $9/year to cover my windshield costs. Don't need insurance for that.

No.

But do get the chips fixed for free. Seems that our Honda Pilot attracts stones as it has been hit 4 times in 5 years where it needed repair... our 10 yo Elantra has had zero..

I don't. I have been driving for 55 years and never had a windshield crack or break. And now, finally, in my Dream Home I have a garage to put my car in during hailstorms (at last!).

Your price of $500 sounds like a rip-off to me, or maybe my ideas of cost are way out of date. Anyway, if it was me I'd look around a bit before paying that much.

If I broke my windshield, then even at $500, over 55 years, that would be $9/year to cover my windshield costs. Don't need insurance for that.

The days of $500 repairs will be in past before too long. $1000 or more will be the norm thanks to technology.

https://www.emcins.com/losscontrol/insights-d/2018/06/windshield-replacement/

The study found that windshield replacements for vehicles equipped with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning systems ranges from $1,200 to $1,600 for aftermarket glass and $1,300 to $1,650 for factory glass, according to the AAA report.

https://www.glassbytes.com/2018/11/aaa-studies-adas-and-windshield-replacements/

Last edited:
We have had to replace windshields on one vehicle or another about every two years. Insurance covers this with a small deductible. They also cover small repairs of chips, fully.

I think windshield damage is largely determined by the number of miles driven in a year and also the location. In my state we have this:

"...trucks carrying dirt, sand or gravel need to be covered unless they have six inches of freeboard above the bed of the truck".

In practice what this means is that trucks carrying sand and gravel don't have to cover their loads.

Had a crack filled via insurance. They wanted to file a claim to do full replacement glass, I said I didn't want a claim. So they filed a claim when they filled the tiny little chip instead. GRRRR.

Insurance went down so I am not complaining....yet. If we let the chip turn to crack, our windows ice over on the INSIDE of the car in the winter. This kind of adds to the cost of living in a snowy metro area with rock salt getting flung up everywhere.

I paid about $350 to fix a high school buddies windshield about 19 years ago on his Wagon Subaru. I will never forget that little lesson.

Learned not to trust anyone...we were making a little movie script called for a "fake hit" of his car by a pedestrian...me being the ped, taking the risk, my big butt broke the windshield somehow. Of course I had to cover 100% because, well fair is fair.

Here in Florida, if you have a comprehensive/collision policy, your replacement windshield is covered. Florida Statute 627.7288 requires auto insurers in Florida to replace or repair their policy holders damaged windshield with zero deductible, or, in other words, for “free.”

I have glass coverage with Amica. I'd be nuts not to in Houston where trucks are everywhere. Just last week we have a new windshield put in our van due to a rock hit. Insurance covered the $728.00 bill.

Older Honda Element with high deductible, so cost is on me. I did just have the windshield replaced last week for $250.28 so windshield replacement on a low tech vehicle is still very reasonable.

Because glass losses are high-frequency, low-severity (relatively speaking) events, I would always suggest adding a Full Coverage Glass to your Comprehensive coverage.

Living in the AZ desert you're lucky to go 1 year without getting at least a small chip in your windshield. Any windshield repair/replacement is covered.

Many of the new generation cars have adaptive cruise control and sensors that beep whenever you cross a line on the highway. They also have a sensor mounted on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. Another sensor is mounted in the grill of the car.

FYI: Those type windshields can cost $1,100 to replace. Insurance company glass damage premiums have not risen to meet the cost of replacement and would be considered a must have at this point in time.

No evil eye. If anything you have guardian angels here, Ray.

Get 3 estimates. Check salvage yards too if it’s not important to have brand new glass.

Colorado is notorious for chipped/broken glass. If you have a chip, get it filled. 9 times out of 10 it stops the crack and you hardly notice it.

Yep. I think its mandatory in my state, has no deductible either. Works great, have used it at least 3 times and I don't even drive that much.

No, but I wish I did. My F150 took a rock or some kind of debris from a semi truck tire blowout from the other side of the interstate a couple of weeks ago. Cost me $650.

We have State Farm and they do not cover the glass. We have had some occasional chips filled for $10-20.

Depends on the state. I do not have glass coverage as part of the std comp coverage here in Ohio. I just self-insure against needing replacement.

My insurance company does not have specific "glass coverage" Glass repairs have always been covered as part of my comprehensive insurance coverage. If damage can be filled in with some epoxy-like material, the repair has no deductible. If the window needs replacement, then I pay my comprehensive deductible, currently $50 per occurrence.

My insurance covers rental cars also same as my own vehicles. PA resident.

Ditto.

Comprehensive is very cheap here on our older vehicles...about $100/year per vehicle with a $100 deductible.

Very glad to have it since one of the kids just hit a deer...~$3,000 to fix, "no fault" since it falls under comprehensive (instead of collision)

No, but I wish I did. My F150 took a rock or some kind of debris from a semi truck tire blowout from the other side of the interstate a couple of weeks ago. Cost me $650.

The new (e.g. 2015 onward) F150 are notorious for issues with the windshield, i.e. they seem to crack easily. I wasn't sure I believed this until MY 2015 F150 developed a crack in February, with no known source that I could remember.

OTOH, the truck has overall been super.

No. Glass coverage where we live would amount to an additional $225 on my auto insurance policy per year. It cost $270 to replace a windshield a few years ago. I am ahead of the game so far. I have had two chips repaired. Do not want water to get in, freeze, and have the glass crack.

It might be different if we had one of new vehicles that required glass AND a recalibration of the various safety systems. I am told that these replacements can be quite expensive.

Back
Top Bottom