Do you have "luxuries" you treat yourself to?

For me it's good coffee to brew at home and an occasional gourmet cheese.

We don't eat as much beef as we used to, but now, if we do have a steak, it's prime grade ribeye capsteak, instead of Safeway Select. Melts in your mouth!

Also, we've determined that it's ok to eat out a little more often. Sometimes it actually is cheaper when it's just the two of us, because sometimes when we decide to splurge and eat something nice at home, we have to buy enough to feed 4-6 instead of just the 2 of us. Then, we aren't necessarily interested in eating the leftovers, particularly if it's an item best served fresh off the grill, etc. So, for example, when the two of us want Chinese, we go out, pay $17 or less, and each have what we want.

Bought 10 pairs of black Gold Toe socks and 6 pairs of white Adidas socks and threw out all my old and unmatched socks. Never have unmatched socks now.
When DW passed I found two trash bags of unmatched socks she always thought she'd get around too. There were baby socks in there.

I must confess I have a few and the reasoning behind them. All these Post being FIREd

1) The only steak we buy to cook at home is Choice Filet mignon from Costco. - We do not have Steak much but when we do it may as well be the good stuff. (I cannot tell the difference between Prime and Choice, so Choice wins)

2) Only drink good Whiskey now. - I cannot seem to drink as much as I used to, I hate the headaches the next day, so may as well get the good stuff.

3) Lease a Car Every 3 years whether I need it or not. - I like new cars, no maintenance and the new Tech.

4) Try to only Fly Business Class or better. - I flew once a week every week during w*rking life and cannot fly "grunt" class any more. Now I do not travel that frequently now and still have a Gazillion FF Miles to Tap From.

I must confess I have a few and the reasoning behind them. All these Post being FIREd

1) The only steak we buy to cook at home is Choice Filet mignon from Costco. - We do not have Steak much but when we do it may as well be the good stuff. (I cannot tell the difference between Prime and Choice, so Choice wins)
Actually - I prefer choice steaks, because for me they have a lot more flavor than prime. I remember once cooking a prime ribeye and being so disappointed wondering where all the flavor went when I finally realized I'd accidentally bought prime.

One can get good steaks in Choice grade, but from Safeway the tenderness is like crapshoot. So, I am thinking the Prime cut at Costco may be more consistent.

I have not bought beef from Costco in a long time, because their packs are family-oriented and just too large for two. I wonder if the Choice at Costco is more consistent.

One can get good steaks in Choice grade, but from Safeway the tenderness is like crapshoot. So, I am thinking the Prime cut at Costco may be more consistent.

I have not bought beef from Costco in a long time, because their packs are family-oriented and just too large for two. I wonder if the Choice at Costco is more consistent.

We buy the whole Choice File Mignon Rack and cut it to our liking 1.5 - 2 inches thick at about 8 - 10 oz each. it is cheaper to buy the pre-cut, but they are as you say too big, but too small to cut in half.

Filet is tender, but too lean and does not have the same flavor as other cuts though.

I try not to eat steak too often, so when I do I can stand a bit more fat. :)

PS. By the way, I can get filet in smaller packages from another grocery store for a very good price. Again, it does not taste as good as a ribeye to me.

Last edited:
I'll occasionally treat myself to something that improves my health. Bought some new roller blades for $120, and some new ski's for $300. Still cheaper than a years gym membership.

I bought myself a massage once. Felt good but was still temporary satisfaction.

Splurging usually comes on vacation, during that time I for some reason seem to not worry as much about what I spend. This means tickets to shows like Cirque or events like the Kennedy Space Center. Educational and entertaining.

For DW it's unexpected flowers (outside bday, mothers day, argument make-ups lol). We both splurged and together bought a treadmill. initially i thought I would never use it but I've ran quite a bit on it.

Compare this above poor working sap to the below...

Now my in-laws, they splurge on First Class airfare every trip they go on and just bought a Yukon Denali XL for any road trips they take. They like to travel for months, not weeks, renting very nicely appointed homes with more rooms than they need so they can invite guests to visit.

I suppose this might be the difference between a working engineer and a retired doctor lol.

Oh wait, come to think of it FIL did put all four kids through private schools and paid for college. Damn why did I become an engineer?

Choice at Costco has been good. We usually vacuum pack and freeze half of what we buy.

We buy the whole Choice File Mignon Rack and cut it to our liking 1.5 - 2 inches thick at about 8 - 10 oz each. it is cheaper to buy the pre-cut, but they are as you say too big, but too small to cut in half.
I haven't bought the whole tenderloin, but sometimes they have 4 nice size pieces (2.5 to 3 inches thick) in a package and we freeze two of them.

I usually pan sear them then roast them in the oven in the cast iron pan (or Le Creuset). Comes out so good. Often do a pan sauce while the steaks are resting. Very easy.

Everyone has "luxury" items that they will buy no matter what. During WW2, lipstick sales surged. People need to feel special. (Some need more than others to feel special).

My splurges include real Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese, cosmetics from The Body Shop, a comfortable vehicle that is more than I truly need, internet access when travelling, and a fractional ownership in a vacation home that allows me to take vacations in luxurious accommodation in nice places I might not otherwise visit.

OTOH, I am otherwise quite frugal. I use the library a lot. I don't have cable, or even a TV. My clothing expenses have been very low since ER. Etc.

Last edited:
Filet is tender, but too lean and does not have the same flavor as other cuts though.

I try not to eat steak too often, so when I do I can stand a bit more fat. :)

PS. By the way, I can get filet in smaller packages from another grocery store for a very good price. Again, it does not taste as good as a ribeye to me.

Twice a year I get a 24 oz. Delmonico (ribeye) steak, but that's more a screw my health splurge than a monetary splurge.

Unlimited* mugs of hot chocolate spiked with whisky during the winter season. Nothing like kicking back on a cold rainy afternoon with the heat up, and binge-watching TV shows on Amazon Prime with a mug of hot chocolate and whisky :)

*Unlimited for me invariably ends up translating as no more than 2 (and often just 1). There's a definite boundary between enjoyment and excess.

Last edited:
Twice a year I get a 24 oz. Delmonico (ribeye) steak, but that's more a screw my health splurge than a monetary splurge.
Yes, now that we can afford to eat more "good stuff", we do not dare.

So, I have been finding fun in learning to cook, and to make different dishes. It's the joy of cooking, rather than the pure eating part.

PS. I will be making harissa grilled chicken for the 1st time fairly soon.

Last edited:
I usually pan sear them then roast them in the oven in the cast iron pan (or Le Creuset). Comes out so good. Often do a pan sauce while the steaks are resting. Very easy.
Different cuts release different amounts of juice. So, my pan sauce never comes out tasting the same. Occasionally, it was so good and made me so proud (I deglaze with less expensive Cognac). Other times, it was so bland.

I just BBQ the Steaks for 4 Minutes Per side on Medium / High heat (My BBQ cannot seem to tell the difference) then take them off to rest while plating sides.

I've been trying to think of any little luxuries, but I can only come up with two. We never fly coach any more; it's always at least "premium economy" or whatever an airline calls that. Also, the level of hotels we stay at is higher -- Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites as opposed to Red Roof or Days Inn. Otherwise, our standard of living is about the same as it was 30 years ago.

Different cuts release different amounts of juice. So, my pan sauce never comes out tasting the same. Occasionally, it was so good and made me so proud (I deglaze with less expensive Cognac). Other times, it was so bland.
Oh, I just do this for tenderloin with the fillet mignon cut.

I have only recently (30 days or so) convinced myself that it's OK to spend 50c on a cup of coffee :LOL: and instead of making my own "dirt cups"* as my DW calls them, I now use an actual new K-cup every time I enjoy a cup of coffee! For several years, I brought home the used ones from the office :blush:

And for the record, I personally think that many of indulgences mentioned here are lifetime habits that many of us will actually NEVER change ~ I have always added water to the empty shampoo bottle/hand soap to get more use out of it!....and I just replaced my toothbrush today thank you very much but I honestly can't remember the last time I did....

*dirt cups are where I actually save the USED K-cups, wash them and refill them my own bulk coffee
There ius an adapter that comes with the Keurig that you can load with your own coffee.
Also, The San Francisco Coffee Co is much cheaper than Keurig and they run sales.

Single Malt Scotch

My indulgence was to purchase a Glenmorangie "Pioneering Pack" of 4 100ml bottles (100ml=2 airplane size bottles). Each bottle holds whisky that has been matured in different types of casks.

I think after 5 years of retirement, the biggest splurge is ...just...not....worrying....about....what....stuff....costs. It takes some discipline, and although I still track it, I just don't worry about it anymore. W a pension and 3% wr, and SS waiting in the wings, it's pretty obvious kids will get a nice inheritance even though we'll be spending a good bit more in retirement than when working. Camera equip, tools, and whatever looks good at the grocery store. I will say health is a far greater restriction there than $.

About those steaks: agree that a ribeye more flavorful. However, our favorite is a fillet sous vide'd w butter and garlic, then throw it on a glowing cast iron skillet heated on the grill for the sear. I never could master a fillet on a grill, could do pretty well w oven finish though.

Oh, I just do this for tenderloin with the fillet mignon cut.
Well, the filet I cooked was so lean I did not get much of that yummy fat and juice from it. :) The steak was good, but the sauce was not.

Last edited:
Well, the filet I cooked was so lean I did not get much of that yummy fat and juice from it. :)
I find tenderloin quite rich. And when I sear it I use some added fat. So I usually have whatever I need for a pan sauce.

Filet mignon may not be marbled like prime rib or t-bond/porterhouse, but it still has more fat than sirloin and other non-steak cuts.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/the-leanest-and-fattiest-cuts-of-steak

It turns out a lot of people add a little butter to the drippings left in the pan to make the pan sauce anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom