Do you rejoice at Summer?

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am a morning person, I wake up early and hope to get that first cup of joe down before I walk the dog. This morning at 5:30 I had brewed that first cup and got a single sip in before the old gal was scratching at the door. We passed on an electric fence because I want an excuse to get moving and 'survey the estate'. The old gal gets walked with a leash lest she she be tempted to go on the road. I guess a big part of it is in the summer it is already light out and there's no shock to the system stepping outside because it is warm.

Sadly so far this year there has only been a few warm days but I know they are coming. My tomatoes, peppers and melons await them as do I. I'll sit outside, sip my coffee and listen to the hummingbirds at the feeder. A simple joy but still my little piece of heaven.

This summer will be a little different though for one I'll be recovering from getting another new knee. The first few weeks you spend a good deal of time trying to find an elusive comfortable spot. After that it is all uphill. My son will be starting college early, my daughter the first post college job. All the while I'll struggle with the decision on whether to return to work for 3 days a week or not. I'm thinking it will be hard to give up those warm wonderful days.

Last edited:
I love spring. It has only just arrived here in MN and is glorious on the days when it is still a bit cool, but sunny. The sky yesterday was a vivid blue with fluffy white clouds, and my park-like college campus is full of blooming iris among other flowers. It feels almost obscene to leave the house without a coat of some type for a couple weeks until you realize you really can do it! I'm getting a new patio put in as we speak and am looking forward to patio parties this summer. What I don't like is excessive heat and humidity, which we are starting to get more of.

First of all, Good Luck on your rehab. I love summer mornings. I grew up in Cincinnati, live in Upstate NY now. I don't miss the heat and humidity of Cincinnati summers, but there was something wonderful about the early part of the morning, on a day destined to be a steamer.
Like you say, so far this Spring has been spotty with the weather.

I like to head to the golf course early and do some practicing. It reminds me of my youth, when my Mom, who was a golf fanatic, would pay me 50 cents AND a soda pop from the machine, to pull her cart around for her. Now I realize it was cheaper than a baby sitter AND she got a caddy out of it.
In the summer, retirement reminds me of summer vacation, my favorite aspect of my youth. Yes, I rejoice!

Hi Rayin penn

First, yep I rejoice in summer. I did it while I worked full time also. I love, love the warm weather and don't like cold. so all it has to do is get warm and sunny and my entire disposition is better.

I had my knee done in december 2016, I specifically did it in the winter so by the summer I would be back on my feet. I'm happy to say for the most part I've been successful. my new knee feels better than the one not done. I just returned from a week at Disneyworld and didn't have any issues. other than morning stiffness it's been great.

I returned to work p/t in my hobby (baking) and its great. I love baking, it gives me some extra income and most of my coworkers are "youngins", lol that keep me young in spirit.

Enjoy.

When we lived in Houston, we dreaded Summer. We had to stay inside from May through September inclusive.

Now that we moved to a drier climate we love the Summer.

Late last night, I was outside in our new hot tub and it was very cool. The sky was crystal clear and the stars were bright. I thought how great this time of the year is.

This morning, I woke up only to remember I've got to cut grass, whittle on the blackberry patch with a hedge trimmer and clean out the garage for this weekend's garage sale. Then I've got a hard week to get our lake house cleaned up for company. Summer is such hard physical work--but it's great.

Hmmm. You made me think. I live in a place that some people think of as the land of perpetual summer, but it's much more subtle than that.

May and June are the gray days of summer. Don't need long sleeves, but it's not really hot, and unless we go a couple miles inland, we usually won't see the sun until it sinks below the high overcast layer in the late afternoon. This time of year has its own charm and I enjoy the cooler days before summer really sets in, but these months also tend to attract a lot of whiny tourists who didn't check the forecast and are disappointed that they aren't getting a tan at the beach.

July and August are sunny, noisy, crowded, lively. Concerts in the park, 4th of July parades, fireworks most nights, traffic on the main drag, busy sidewalks, lines at all the restaurants.

September and October are our "second summer". Tourists are mostly gone, weather is perfect. These are the long lazy days of summer that I rejoice at.

I also love "bonus summer". That's the week that comes along most years in January or February when the temps suddenly go up to the high 70s or low 80s after a few colder days and the whole city just seems happy.

Enjoy your summer because it's gray here for the last few days or maybe weeks and you'd think we have nice weather here in California. So I hope to celebrate summer in Hawaii.

Waiting for Oktoberfest

When I was a kid, naturally I loved summer. No school, and it stayed light enough outdoors that we could play until really late. Never even noticed the heat.

But I don't get three months vacation anymore. Also, something in my metabolism changed at age 35. Heat is now wildly uncomfortable. Mosquitoes, gnats, ticks, wasps, horseflies... ugh.

By July I'm already counting the days till autumn.

I don't like the summer a whole lot because I have to depend on my air conditioner to keep me comfortable, especially when trying to sleep at night. My A/C is too noisy to keep on while I am trying to sleep. This time of year, when the temps are 55F low and 70F high are best, I can open a window and not need the heater or A/C. The Fall has similar temp ranges.

Actually , Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love the days when the sun is out, but there is a crisp scent in the air, a cool breeze, and leaves turning glorious colors. But I do like sitting out on the deck in the early mornings during the summer and enjoying the sun before it gets too hot.

Summer is my least favorite season. I can't stand the heat, the humidity, or the mosquitoes. So I stay inside for most of the summer (yeah for the A/C) - venturing out only in the early morning for a walk usually. I am going to spend part of the summer in the Alps this year (I enjoy the milder summer there).

Autumn is my favorite season followed by a spring and winter.

I'm not a fan of hot weather. Summer may be my least favorite season, and it's certainly no higher than third.

We love Nov-Apr in Mexico. Very consistent. Very predictable.

Here is the PNW, we appreciate the sunny days especially but we never get enough of them. The foggy days have a certain charm but it wears off quickly.

Rejoice is probably too strong a word. Being snowbirds we don't really see much of winter weather, but do enjoy being at the lake house in the summer. Close to family, friends, and solitude otherwise. Right now the Black Flies and Mosquitoes are killing us though. Been a very cool wet spring.

Here in the desert Southwest, May thru September is our indoor season. It's already hit 100F a few times and soon will cross that mark and remain there for most of the next few months.

So, the AC is screaming, we park wherever shade is available (sometimes quite a way from the store), oven mits in the car in case the sunshade slips off...it's indoor hobby season.

The reward is year round BBQ & shorts, NO SNOW or ICE, no coats or moon boots. So summer is not something we look forward to but is well worth it as the price of admission.;)

_B

Summer brings too much heat and too many bugs. Bring back my winter please! Mosquitoes can bite me (see what I did there?)

I live on Cape Cod. This morning dawned bright and clear after showers last night. My deck looks out onto a wooded area that was just indescribably heartbreakingly beautiful.

Yes, the population of my little town will quadruple in the coming weeks. Grocery shopping is best done early in the morning, and trips to the Big City (Hyannis) or, heaven forbid, off-Cape, have to be planned around peak traffic. While they're hear, they spend a fair amount of money, and by mid-September, they're mostly gone. Besides, it's delightful to see how much they enjoy their brief stay in a place I'm lucky enough to call home.

Not so much summer here. It gets way too hot.

We celebrate (late) fall when if finally starts cooling off!!! The winters here are lovely, and the early spring and late fall very nice too.

I hate cold weather so it is a joy to see spring and summer arrive. While I also like autumn, I also dread the winter that follows. In the winter I go out to buy food and go to the gym and that's about it. It is so nice on the first day that it is warm enough to go outside wearing just a t-shirt (well, jeans too).

October brings the best weather to New Orleans. Still, I love every season here. I don't love hurricanes, but as long as the tropical weather stays away, summers are fine. I'd like to experience several hundred more, at least, but I don't think that is very likely. :D

Northern California here. I rejoice in the long days, the cool mornings, my garden, both ornamental and edible. We love hiking in the high country, above treeline, and the window for that is small-this year even smaller with all the snow in the High Sierra. Other joys of summer are kayaking on our beautiful California lakes, camping and swimming in lakes and rivers, road trips, etc. etc. That said, my favorite season is Fall, for the cooler temps, the Fall color in the mountains, and the ability to recreate in the desert again without burning up.

I love being outdoors, so I don't let the different seasons change that.......to an extent. When it gets especially hot and/or humid, I'll get out early in the day or early evening, and hibernate in air conditioning in between.
But temperature aside, one thing I don't like about summer is that the streets and nearby county park (where I spend a lot of my time) are more crowded because school is not in session.

I rejoice every day! DW and I have been so blessed over the years.

I can't stand the humidity and heat here in Grapetown, I am able to work around it. Yes, up by 6, coffee in the morning, with the computer reading online WSJ, papers and magazines, breakfast at 8. I w@rk for DW now, so wine and weather dictates the chores for the day beginning at 830. She allows me to quit at 4, eat lunch, and take a "fiver" whenever I need it.

The young wife is a high school teacher -- of course we rejoice in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom