How to check the pressure at my water heater?

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
Dumb question of the day.
Can anyone tell me how to check my house water pressure. I assume I screw the gauge in where I circled it and then what??
I had a huge flood 11 years ago and I'm starting to wake up in the night in a panic from nightmares that my house is flooding again. What should the pressure be inside the house? I checked my outside faucet and it's over 200 but that's before it gets to the water pressure regulator inside the house.
I will call a plumber if it's high but I thought I'd check it myself first to at least learn how to.

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_110633131.jpg
    IMG_20231226_110633131.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 17
One way is to do it right at your kitchen sink facet. Unscrew tip screen and screw in the pressure gauge there and turn on the water.

Last edited:
You should be able to screw the gauge onto one of your washing machine hose bibs. The regulated pressure should be under about 60 psi. Keep in mind that these regulators don't last forever. Apparently, the more they have to regulate, the shorter their lifetime - typical is 4-12 years. Here's an explanation of how they work: https://www.thespruce.com/water-pressure-regulator-2718696

One way is to do it right at your kitchen sink facet. Unscrew tip screen and screw in the pressure gauge there and turn on the water.
Not on my kitchen faucet unfortunately, that was the first thing I tried. I also tried the bathroom one.
I can use the outside faucets and the water heater, and probably the washing machine faucets which are hard to get to.
The gauge has a 3/4" hose thread.

The outside faucets should be regulated so you could try one of those first. If the pressure is in the acceptable range, then all is well. On your water heater, I don't see how you open the valve unless it's a case of using vise grips. If you open the faucet on the water heater, any water that leaks out - unlikely perhaps - is apt to be hot so just be careful.

You should be able to screw the gauge onto one of your washing machine hose bibs. The regulated pressure should be under about 60 psi. Keep in mind that these regulators don't last forever. Apparently, the more they have to regulate, the shorter their lifetime - typical is 4-12 years. Here's an explanation of how they work: https://www.thespruce.com/water-pressure-regulator-2718696
It will take me some moving stuff to get to them tonight so not going to bother since I do have a plumber coming to repair the outside 30 year old faucet which is leaking really badly. I will have him check it for me while he's here. If the information in that article is correct I really got ripped off when I replaced the pressure regulator 11 years ago, I paid close to $1000 back then so can't even imagine how much the price has gone up since then. I just wanted to check the pressure before he showed up so he didn't try to rip me off, we have a problem around here with finding honest and licensed plumbers.
Thanks for the info.

The hose bib in the front is not regulated for sure and it's over 200 but the one in the back yard was fine when I checked it last week, I think it was 60. Having said that it's leaking badly. What worries me is that the hot bathroom faucet directly above on the second floor is also leaking badly and when I tried to change the cartridge it still leaked.
Maybe a coincidence but enough to set off my PTSD where water leaks are concerned. It took 4 years before the nightmares finally stopped after the last flood.

The hose bib in the front is not regulated for sure and it's over 200 but the one in the back yard was fine when I checked it last week, I think it was 60. Having said that it's leaking badly. What worries me is that the hot bathroom faucet directly above on the second floor is also leaking badly and when I tried to change the cartridge it still leaked.
Maybe a coincidence but enough to set off my PTSD where water leaks are concerned. It took 4 years before the nightmares finally stopped after the last flood.
OK, I guess in many cases, a front outside hose bib may not be regulated even if there is regulation for the rest of the house including for example, backyard bibs. However, if the backyard bib is leaking badly, I'm not sure how accurate a pressure measurement using it would be. Now you've got me wondering so when we return home this weekend, I'm gonna check pressures!

Back
Top Bottom