Do You Still Have A 'Desktop' PC/Mac @ Home ?

Was there a similar thread recently ?

There was a similar thread. Now I get to post the picture again.

It's all good. People seem to have many distinct purposes for these devices. Some users are general purpose. Others require specific apps which are kinda ridiculous on a smaller screen.

Yesterday, brought home work notebook. Burned 1gb of important photos to a DVD. Took that to the 17-inch notebook . Installed and used various photo processing utilities for trial. Then used Picasa to quickly create a distributable contact sheet library in html.

Your toolbox. Flexibility. Happy customer.

This is an interesting post. I think that the technological trend driving all of this is the separation of data and apps from hardware. Once your data and/or apps are cloud-based then the old paradigms fall away. As a touch-typist w/ a fairly high typing speed I prefer keyboard-centric computing. But I can use a compact bluetooth keyboard with a smartphone, a tablet, a laptop or a desktop PC. Give me a wireless keyboard and a large monitor and I can compute w/ just a smartphone, no desktop PC required. I can either take one piece of hardware with me, or keep separate pieces of hardware for separate purposes.

In practice, I currently do most computing that involves typing on my laptop. The wife does as well. Smartphones and tablets are mostly for reading/consuming and minor communications (texts/status updates/etc.). My only desktop is at work, using dual monitors.

DH has a desktop and I'll probably never wean him away from it, which is OK. He prefers a big screen and a full-size keyboard. I have a "transformer" which can be docked or used as a tablet and I've never been able to get used to the tablet format.

I LOVE my smartphone, though.

Mac mini here with a full size keyboard and 26" monitor. Also have iPads, Macbook Air and I phone. Just prefer to be sitting at a desk with my desktop when I'm at home.

We have a desktop that functions more like a server (4TB of disk). Although it has a monitor I access it almost always using RDP from a laptop. DW has an "all-in-one". She use to have a laptop but it never ever moved so the all-in-one gives her a big screen without taking up a lot of space. There are 5 laptops but only two of them are actively being used. The iPAD mostly collects dust unless the grandkids are over and want to play games. I use a Fire tablet for streaming video (easier to hold than the iPAD). And a Kindle (or the Fire) for ebooks.

We have a Mac desktop and always will. The large stable monitor beats a shaky laptop, at least for us.

Having said that though, we also have our own iPads for web surfing, movies, etc, when lounging around. I also use an iPod for music when I don't sit still.

DW wanted a portable DVD player, but every one we reviewed or tried out was so cheaply constructed and had such poor video quality that she ended up buying a used Macbook instead. A nice hi-res 13" screen, although I still handbrake DVDs for my Ipad.

Whatever works for you, that's all that really matters.

_B

Computing is my job and my hobby... so I have a "data center" at home. 10 servers, several of them virtualized platforms (VMware, KVM, z/VM, VirtualBox) running all kinds of operating systems (various flavors of Linux, Windows, z/OS, Solaris, z/VM) and applications. Then 4 laptops to connect into this environment from various locations around the house. Throw in a couple of NAS storage servers... yeah, I'm a nerd. :)

I think tablets are progressing to be the laptop killer, but not for a few years yet. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with a desktop computer now because demand is so low, but you won't be able to get much for it if you want to resell it. I'm super happy with my MacBook Air, FWIW...

I think tablets are progressing to be the laptop killer, but not for a few years yet. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with a desktop computer now because demand is so low, but you won't be able to get much for it if you want to resell it. I'm super happy with my MacBook Air, FWIW...

But for most people actually doing something other than consuming content requires a powerful tablet of a reasonable size and bluetooth keyboard at least. That pretty much makes it the same as a laptop (think Microsoft Surface). I don't see it as killing anything, just small differences in form factor. My laptop (among many desktops) at home has a touch screen, so that makes no difference.

Last edited:
hp pavilion desktop running Windows 10. No laptop. Got an old Galaxy 3 smart phone which I often mouth great obscenities at.

heh heh heh - After I get an Epiphany - maybe I will quit whining and join the 21st century. Or not. :facepalm: :angel: ;)

Computing is my job and my hobby... so I have a "data center" at home. 10 servers, several of them virtualized platforms (VMware, KVM, z/VM, VirtualBox) running all kinds of operating systems (various flavors of Linux, Windows, z/OS, Solaris, z/VM) and applications. Then 4 laptops to connect into this environment from various locations around the house. Throw in a couple of NAS storage servers... yeah, I'm a nerd. :)
Definitely one of the more nerdy home situations I've heard of, these parts.

Solaris? Oh my. I went to Solaris 10 classes quite a while ago. Met a few Vanguard IT in the class...

Three finger salute to you. CTRL-ALT-DEL!
:rolleyes:

But for most people actually doing something other than consuming content requires a powerful tablet of a reasonable size and bluetooth keyboard at least. That pretty much makes it the same as a laptop (think Microsoft Surface). I don't see it as killing anything, just small differences in form factor. My laptop (among many desktops) at home has a touch screen, so that makes no difference.

Exactly. The people who are predicting the end of the laptop are looking only at laptops used for portable, causal use. And that use probably will decline, and move to tablets (it has for me).

I use tablets, I like them, but not for spreadsheet work or anything that requires a lot of copy/paste or intricate work. For that, I turn to my laptop, with external keyboard and mouse, and occasionally an external monitor. I use my laptop as many here are describing a desktop (it sits on my desk).

And even though 99% of the time I don't use the portability of the laptop, it's nice when I do need it (so I don't care to use a desktop for this purpose). And as I mentioned, built in UPS (battery) is nice, as is the fact that I re-purpose them conveniently, since they are 'all in one (as dedicated music players, or to do other tasks and not tie up my daily machine)'.

-ERD50

Exactly. The people who are predicting the end of the laptop are looking only at laptops used for portable, causal use. And that use probably will decline, and move to tablets (it has for me).

I use tablets, I like them, but not for spreadsheet work or anything that requires a lot of copy/paste or intricate work. For that, I turn to my laptop, with external keyboard and mouse, and occasionally an external monitor. I use my laptop as many here are describing a desktop (it sits on my desk).

And even though 99% of the time I don't use the portability of the laptop, it's nice when I do need it (so I don't care to use a desktop for this purpose). And as I mentioned, built in UPS (battery) is nice, as is the fact that I re-purpose them conveniently, since they are 'all in one (as dedicated music players, or to do other tasks and not tie up my daily machine)'.

-ERD50

Right, it all goes back to using the right tool for the job. If a laptop with external keyboard/mouse/monitor(s) can handle the job then a desktop isn't necessary. Laptops like that are more expensive than desktops, but not by much.

But millions of PC gamers (despite calls of the "death" of PC gaming for decades now) find it either impossible to get the best gaming performance in a laptop or prohibitively expensive to get the best you can achieve in a laptop form. And as a developer, I usually have the same reasons for a desktop (performance and cost).

I would no more try to use a phone or tablet for these and other similar use cases than I would drive to work across town on a child's tricycle. :LOL:

Right, it all goes back to using the right tool for the job. If a laptop with external keyboard/mouse/monitor(s) can handle the job then a desktop isn't necessary. Laptops like that are more expensive than desktops, but not by much.

But millions of PC gamers (despite calls of the "death" of PC gaming for decades now) find it either impossible to get the best gaming performance in a laptop or prohibitively expensive to get the best you can achieve in a laptop form. And as a developer, I usually have the same reasons for a desktop (performance and cost).

I would no more try to use a phone or tablet for these and other similar use cases than I would drive to work across town on a child's tricycle. :LOL:

+1. Yeah. Not really a one and only one choice thing.

The days of trying to make a phone call from my desktop are gone :).

I can see where a person with a laptop with no plans for upgrades, but wants the desktop feel so has an external keyboard, monitor, mouse is happy. Where on the other hand, the gamer, one who like to make lot of upgrades isn't happy with anything but a desktop.

I can see where a person with a laptop with no plans for upgrades, but wants the desktop feel so has an external keyboard, monitor, mouse is happy. Where on the other hand, the gamer, one who like to make lot of upgrades isn't happy with anything but a desktop.

Yep, a gamer, or other high-performance user may need the CPU/GPU combo that just isn't available in a laptop.

-ERD50

I'm a laptop/phone gal.

My husband prefers his desktop for anything graphics intensive. He's a former architect and still does a lot of autocad... his license is on a desktop we'll keep going for as long as it runs. (Autocad is icky about transferring licenses to a new machine and SUPER expensive...)

My older son built a gaming machine (desktop) - he could get a lot faster graphics and processing speed by going with a desktop. Younger son is looking for ways to earn money because he also wants a fast gaming computer... he can get more computer for his $ by going with a desktop.

I still use a desktop. I prefer to work on spreadsheets and word documents with a full keyboard. My wife used a laptop, but it had a major crash and had to be reformatted. It now works but it's more of a brick. We lost a version of Office that Microsoft took down so we can't get a new copy loaded (still had the key). I'm not about to purchase a later version for a laptop that may still be flaky (have't really used it since Excel and Word were the main use). We'll likely get a new desktop if the old one goes. I can't see myself working on spreadsheets and big Word documents on an iPad without a full size keyboard and mouse.
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

You should try LibreOffice - it's free and works much like MS office, can import and save in MS formats and other formats.

Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

Just picked up a Thinkpad T440s in mint condition for a measly 200 bucks! Whoopy! Yesterday, I was browsing craigslist when it came upon me like a roaring lion. The seller, unfortunately was two hours away so I told him to give me first crack at it before showing it to other potential buyers. He agreed and by 8:00 am, I was careening down the 15 FWY (our Autobahn in SoCal) headed to San Diego (85-90 mph, normal traffic). I was not disappointed. He gave me the spill, told me there were half a dozen people who called after me who were also interested and wondered if he had priced it too low. Before he could add another thought to that, I put down 200 on the table, shook his hand and got out of there quickly.

I admit that I did it out of pure impulse and had an inkling that it just might turn out in my favor. Wow, what a day!

Add one more thinkpad to my inventory.... :)

i5 4300u, 12GB ram, 180GB SSD, dual battery, usb3 and a warranty that's good until the end of the year!!!
---------

Desktop, I use for backing up files only. It's basically a server with cheaper storage than laptop or tablets. I don't even have a screen attached to it. I just RDC to it when I need it. Laptop has taken over most of its tasks, nearly as powerful and it's mobile.

I think people are going to use whatever they are comfortable using.

Last edited:
Yep, I still have one of those desktop PC's. Don't know how I'd deal with large spreadsheets otherwise. Also good for varying the ergo positions when not using a tablet or phone.

Here is a rare view inside the top secret control center:

jl1nwi.jpg

My desktop area (after some tidying up :)). As you can tell, more about functionality (battery backup, different color mechanical keyboard, wood as wrist rest :() than aesthetics.

Attachments

• desktop area.jpg
    desktop area.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 14
Yep, I still have one of those desktop PC's. Don't know how I'd deal with large spreadsheets otherwise. Also good for varying the ergo positions when not using a tablet or phone.

Nice setup!

Reminds me when I was still in the classroom. Had one keyboard, one mouse (KVM) controlling 2 large monitors displaying excel sheet on one and autocad or 3ds max on the other. My high school kids thought that was pretty neat setup. Sometimes I'd even have two separate MS OS on those two monitors as well as use netop to manage and monitor student activities on their workstations. Those were the days...

Now I'm content with one laptop and a MS display adapter on my TV that I project to when I want to stream movies or watch those YouTube funnies :)

jl1nwi.jpg

+1 Yeah!

Looks familiar... Hey, those colors in the spreadsheet look like they're from my very own master ER spreadsheet!

30" monitor is great for spreadsheets! Would go dual-monitors, but they would block the sound from my audio speakers...

Back
Top Bottom