Do You Have a Filing System for Documents?

Do You Have a Filing System for Documents?

• yes - my filing system is like a well oiled machine

Votes: 61 57.5%
  • yes - but things are still disorganized

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • no

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • other

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My paper documents are scattered at different locations at my residence. Tax docs here, home and car repair there, person info like Will, medical records at another spot.

Trying to tame the paper clutter a few weeks ago, I came across this filing system called the "FreedomFiler". The filling system comes it a kit of labels and a booklet describing the filing strategy.

Of course, I had to go to Amazon and Youtube to check out. So, I ended up buying a kit. Finally had a chance to look at the kit today but I got the wrong one and I needed the one that works with the hanging folders and tabs I have.

So, in a few days, I'll be making a trip the my friendly Kohls to do another free Amazon return.

Debating now, do I really need a filing system kit or not? The thought of consolidating sounds nice. But at the same time, I think no matter what, I'm going to have documents scattered with some things I keep in digital form (utility bills, insurance policies).

What do you do? Do you have a system or are things scattered about like me?

DW uses the pile system. She has piles all over the house. She just can’t seem to throw paper out. Worse is that every blue moon I will want something from days gone by and she’ll find it. That really weakens my case for her to just purge everything. I’ll be watching this thread for some ideas. And, I’ll look up FreedomFiler. Thanks.

My filing system is the crosscut shredder that sits right below my ScanSnap.

I run things through the scanner and save them as a PDF, then shred the paper.

There are very few things that can't fit into this system, so a small file box that fits into the safe handles them nicely with lots of room to spare.

I have a well organized filing system, but I’ve been adopting paperless as much as possible. We’re disappointed when we still have to use paper (or snail mail) for anything. I hope we’re all paperless and online some day.

Last edited:
I have our "end of life" notebook (wills, etc.) and financial notebook in the safe.
I keep a single, simple file box with hanging folders as my file system, gets cleared out at year end as I gather info for taxes. Anything not needed for documentation or health needs is shredded and I begin the new year with an almost empty box. I still maintain a hand written ledger for bills--crazy I know, but it is easier for me.

I voted no as mentioned in my OP, at best I have organized disorganization.

What I may do is adapt some of the concepts of the FreedomFiler, but since no matter what things will be not all in one place, will save the cost of getting a kit. Here's a youtube on the system in case you are interested:

I like FreedomFiler's concept of having odd/even years that get cleaned out.

I have the usual Steelcase four drawer file cabinet, with labeled hanging file folders.

During the next few years I plan to transition almost completely to paperless. I am doing this slowly but have started on it.

My first goal is to reduce the files to what will fit into a small rolling file box that I have (that will hold about 10" of standard hanging files). At that point, I will need to sell my file cabinet.

Then, in a related project, I plan to put all of my office supplies in one of those plastic storage bins and sell my desk. I used to use the desk for my desktop computer, but have not had a desktop computer for probably 20 years by now. At that point my home office will be nearly empty so I may need to find another use for that room.

I have my system description written down somewhere...

I have the usual Steelcase four drawer file cabinet, with labeled hanging file folders.

During the next few years I plan to transition almost completely to paperless. I am doing this slowly but have started on it.

My first goal is to reduce the files to what will fit into a small rolling file box that I have (that will hold about 10" of standard hanging files). At that point, I will need to sell my file cabinet.

This is what we have, and are now going to paperless (pdf files) with multiple backup disks for redundancy.

Not sure I want to convert the old files to paperless, will probably just let them age out and shred them.

My filing system is the crosscut shredder that sits right below my ScanSnap.

I run things through the scanner and save them as a PDF, then shred the paper.

There are very few things that can't fit into this system, so a small file box that fits into the safe handles them nicely with lots of room to spare.

+1

start by taming the inflow of paper. Sign up for electronic delivery of every thing. Then get a good scanner (speed is important) to scan the existing piles. Back up your hard drive regularly.

If you have a Whole Foods with an Amazon Locker near you that is a very convenient way to do Amazon returns.

Probably depends on location. I've used Kohl's and it works well except you have to stand in line which may be short or long depending on your luck. I've found the easiest way for me is if I still have the packaging to just use the UPS option. Tape up the box, print out the label, tape that to the box and take it to a UPS store that is a mile away. Never had to wait except for a few seconds while they scan it and give me a receipt.

About 50+% go into the trash can. About 45+% go thru the shredder. The other <5% (wills, tax docs, marriage license, and the like) are stored in an importation paper box.

If you have a Whole Foods with an Amazon Locker near you that is a very convenient way to do Amazon returns.

Very convenient, but not convenient enough to pay about $7 return fee on a $29 product.

The Kohls actually is okay as that's on the way back from an errand I'll run on Saturday.

Most of my documents are in a basic accordion folder. I no longer keep utility bills as they're all online now. User manuals are in box even though most are now online so I'll eventually dump those

I keep a file size basket with hardcopy files. Think marriage cert, will, deeds, etc. Things for which digital only will not do. This includes home repairs. It's approx 12 by 18 by 10. Hanging file format but just folders. Then I keep a file folder for taxes where I drop in things throughout the year and pull it when I do taxes. I photograph then shred those and save digitally alongside the tax file. Maybe once a year I flip thru and shred/toss. I also keep a handwritten list in there of where to go looking for assets if we both keel. Sibling knows its there if they need to look for things as the worst has come.

I keep a drop basket much smaller (maybe 6 by 8 footprint) where i throw receipts and things that need follow-up. Maybe once a month I flip thru and annotate/shred/toss/file. Same thing I used to do at work.

DH is allowed 1 single stack. If he doesn't have it he doesn't accomplish his things. If he has more than 1, I get murderous.

We used to have a full filing cabinet but after nomadding for more than a year we saw how little paper we required.

I have a 2-drawer file cabinet which holds my more frequently accessed folders. In a closet I have 2 boxes which hold my less frequently accessed folders. I keep the current year of most bills in another cabinet. In a couple of shoeboxes I keep more documents such as canceled checks.

Living in a small apartment, I have to be able to keep the quantity of saved documents under control. This system has worked well for the 30 years I have lived here.

I have a couple of small filing cabinets, labeled folders inside labeled hanging file folders. I try to clean out the files once a year and shred old docs.

Stuff for very long term is in a safe deposit box.

Most statements, etc., I get electronically. I try to avoid paper.

I reconcile credit card statements monthly, CC receipts go in a narrow box for shredding unless they need to be saved longer and I get the shredding done about 4 times a year.

Last edited:
Regarding shredding. I'm lucky enough to live near a company that does document shredding. Once a month (first Saturday of the month), they will shred up to 300 pounds for a donation to their charity of $5. We keep a plastic bin with all of our shred documents. I end up going there 2 to 3 times a year. Much easier than a small individual shredder. Might be something others might try. There is usually a place or two per year that do it for free like the credit union and the boy scouts . . .

I scan everything then delete it. Saves paper shredding.

DW uses the pile system. She has piles all over the house. She just can’t seem to throw paper out. Worse is that every blue moon I will want something from days gone by and she’ll find it. That really weakens my case for her to just purge everything.

We (or more accurately, she) is a little more organized. Instead of piles, she has files. When we got married she was appalled at my "filing system" which was a pile of folders under the laundry pile in a closet and one of her first tasks was training me to use files instead of piles.

We have files for everything. Want a copy of the electric bill from six years ago? We have it. We are getting better at throwing stuff like that out and do a purge every once in a while but not often enough. But at least we don't have it going back 30+ years like some I've read about.

Re "going paperless" that is not going to happen here. While I could do it, DW could not and I'm not going to put her in a position where she'd have a terrible time figuring all that out on top of dealing with my absence if/when I get sick and/or die. Plus, she'd then have to figure out how to do the backups AND restore when a drive failed, which she cannot do. I'm just not going to pile all that tech stuff on her, which she finds frustrating at the extreme, at a very bad time.

It'll be interesting though. The lawn service (TruGreen) had a notice in the last bill that they're going paperless soon. Well, I'm not. So they will either accept and process checks as payment or I'll find another lawn service.

Mostly File 13...

Or, as I heard once somewhere, “A pile for everything, and everything in its pile.”

I still have a "file box" with tax records and other junk going back to 1973. I just can't part with it. :blush:

DW has two filing drawers full of all kinds of old files and other stuff. I don't look in there.

I have two file drawers with hanging files that just get added to. Nothing much gets tossed.

I have a small safe in the garage (hidden) that has miscellaneous papers in it and expired (and current) extra credit cards.

We are very organized! :D

Very convenient, but not convenient enough to pay about $7 return fee on a $29 product.

The Kohls actually is okay as that's on the way back from an errand I'll run on Saturday.
Interesting... no return fee when I did it.

Most of my documents are in a basic accordion folder. I no longer keep utility bills as they're all online now. User manuals are in box even though most are now online so I'll eventually dump those
A few years ago I sat down and found PDFs for most user manuals that I had in an accordian file. They are now in a User Manuals folder on my laptop's desktop and the paper copies were recycled.

Back
Top Bottom