Do you wear yours?

Always. As does everyone riding with me. Parking brake is not released until all belts are engaged.

R

Have always worn seat belts since my father bought a new (1956) Pontiac Safari (like the Chevy Nomads) with optional seat belts that were dealer installed. In 1962 I bought a 1940 Ford coupe with a Chevy 283; 3-2s; Duntov cam, etc, etc. Before he would let me drive it I had to install seat belts.

When our children were young my wife would sing the "Buckle up for safety" song until they buckled up. They hated the song so they buckled immediately upon getting into a car.

I installed Seat Belts in my vehicle when I was around twenty years old -- I believe it was a 1957 Chevy Convertible but it could have been the "58 or "59" (also convertibles.) I have not been without seatbelts since. The few times I have been in vehicles without them since that time, I have felt... like being undressed, I guess. Would not even consider driving/riding without them.

I always wear a seatbelt if there is one. I've seen what can happen in car accidents.

I was in a hard, head on crash. Thanks to a relatively new car, seatbelts, and airbags, I walked away. It took a while to be close to normal, but I am. I would be dead wtihout these things. I have never thought, Oh, I won't be hit, and I am glad. I was totally minding my own business and someone crossed the center line.

Ha

Seat belts not only save lives they keep the kids from mauling each other. Those of us born before the 50s remember how we would drive our parents nuts elbowing (or worse) our siblings in the back seat. Now kids can only fuss, whine, yell and kick the back of the seat... behaviors which can either be ignored or addressed as the circumstances dictate.

Seatbelts are a blessing for parents at so many levels.

I've worn my seat-belt all of the time....ever since Easter Sunday 1979 when I was in a two vehicle wreck that totaled both vehicles. During the mayhem, momentum helped me to attempt exiting my van via the windshield on the passenger side (I was the driver), however the telephone pole that finally brought my van to a crashing halt, prevented me from making a full exit!

I was extremely fortunate to have gotten out of that mess with only 7 stitches in forehead, a slight concussion, and brand new 1980 Dodge Pick-up paid for with the insurance check!

By the way, the very next day after the wreck, I started wearing a seat-belt!!!

I always used to buckle my seatbelt when I was on engineering watch on my submarines. [-]It kept me from falling out of my chair if I dozed off.[/-] The other watchstanders claimed that if there was a collision then they didn't want my carcass flying around as a missile hazard.

That was a nice video. Thank you.

I wear a seat belt. I got hit on a freeway by a runaway 15 year old in a stolen car - my car spun around a few times and got into a ditch on the side of the freeway. My car was totalled, but I was OK. I had a serious sore around where my seat belt was (this was before airbag). I consider myself very lucky still. (My car could have rolled over instead.)

Yes. Always. Ever since my father installed the first set of seat belts in the old Ford back in the early 60's ... before they were common place and standard features in automobiles.

My habit is so automatic I don't even think about it... one day I realized that I buckle up even if I get in one of our cars to just back the car out of the garage into the driveway to wash it.

Always.

I have written a thick stack of car accident reports. It got to the point that I could look at the car, look at the occupants, and tell with 95% accuracy who was wearing a belt and who wasn't.

Air bags are amazing. I've seen people walk (or at least limp) away from wrecks that should have been fatal.

Add me to the list of always wearing a seat belt. When I ride a motorcycle I feel like I should be searching for the seatbelt.

I have problems with shoulder belts but yes I wear them anyway. I am short and too many cross up close to my neck, which can't be the safest. I have used clip on belt shoulder belt adjuster but I tend to lose them as the ones I have found are not permanent solutions.

No, I am not going to use a booster seat. :)

That was a nice video. Thank you.

I wear a seat belt. I got hit on a freeway by a runaway 15 year old in a stolen car - my car spun around a few times and got into a ditch on the side of the freeway. My car was totalled, but I was OK. I had a serious sore around where my seat belt was (this was before airbag). I consider myself very lucky still. (My car could have rolled over instead.)

My brother is a convert. He used to only wear his seatbelt once in a while until his car got totalled (several years back). Luckily, that time he was buckled in. He drove a small subcompact and got hit headon by a van. I had to pick him up from the hospitial. His glasses broke, he had a sore knee and he had a big bruise from where he wore his seatbelt, but no broken bones. His car got accordianed (crushed from front towards the back).

Good lord, yes. When I'm driving, I'm in a metal projectile moving at 60+ mph - as are all the other jokers all around me - I want all the safety restraints I can get!

I was rear-ended, hard, in 2002, and can still remember the distinct sense that my shoulder harness "had my back" and kept me from whiplashing to and fro.

Amethyst

The title made me look (well, it could have been bras, jockstraps, or any other wearable item!)

I have religiously worn seatbelts since the dawn of history. It's a no-brainer despite the fact that I share Martha's problem.

So who. then, are all these people that don't use Seat belts?

It appears they don't survive long enough to aspire to early retirement...

My old high school buddy, Warren, would speak up if he were here on the forum. However he NEVER wore a seat-belt....thought they were too confining....he was in a single car accident. His car left the road and rolled over, tossing him out of a side window. He came to rest in a small puddle of water at the bottom of a ditch.....with his car upside-down on top of him.

He had some minor cuts and bruises, but no broken bones or other major trauma to the body.....he drowned. The car was repaired...he wasn't. :(

Do you wear yours?

Yes. I feel naked without one.

Now I have this vision of bbbam with nothing but a seat belt.

Since adulthood, I have always worn my seat belt. In my childhood, not so much. When I was five years old, I went through the front window of a Corvair in a head on crash. I was riding in the middle of the front bench seat and, you guessed it, with no seat belt (to be fair, they didn't even have seat belts in them until about 1965, I think)

I've never understood people not wearing them. A girl in DDs high school forgot to put her seatbelt back on after getting gas, crashed after swerving around a raccoon, and now she's severely brain-damaged.

Back
Top Bottom