Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do/Will you work on your own car(s)
Don't know how to do minor repairs - pretty much every issue goes to the shop 11 17.19%
Know how to do minor repairs - but refuse to do it myself anymore 11 17.19%
I'll do or attempt Whatever I can manage to diagnose that doesn't require special tools or electronics i.e. - routine maintenance, plugs, alternators, fuel pumps, belts, thermostats, switches, etc 32 50.00%
Can & do it all - rebuild/replace motors & trannys, etc 3 4.69%
Know how to do it all - but refuse to anymore 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Radiator for my '93 BMW 525it should be in today from these guys, giving me something to do: Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips They are my favorite online parts place - free shipping for orders over $50. Just a pleased customer, no other stake in them. Dang plastic upper radiator neck broke off last Thursday. Not good having the duty work truck down - have to use the honey's car and actually plan trips a bit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be replacing the timing belt on my 97 Volvo 850 T5 this weekend. I do most of my own work because:

a) I'm cheap
b) There are only a few mechanics I would trust to do it properly
c) I really enjoy it

Also I'm not sure I believe all this stuff about modern cars being too complicated to work on. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed that much in the last 100 years - although there's admittedly a lot more electronics involved now. And now there are wonderful internet forums full of very smart people who are willing to help out.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trirod View Post
I'll be replacing the timing belt on my 97 Volvo 850 T5 this weekend. I do most of my own work because:

a) I'm cheap
b) There are only a few mechanics I would trust to do it properly
c) I really enjoy it

Also I'm not sure I believe all this stuff about modern cars being too complicated to work on. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed that much in the last 100 years - although there's admittedly a lot more electronics involved now. And now there are wonderful internet forums full of very smart people who are willing to help out.
Tri-five?
'56 210 wagon in process here.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't know that it's specifically generational. As I mentioned before, today's cars are a LOT harder for DIYers to maintain because of the complexity of what's under the hood, the amount of "stuff" in there and the amount of special tools/equipment needed to do very much.
I mean that people growing up today don't have the exposure to a culture of fixing your own car, since it is so complicated to do so. So our kids are less likely to see us fixing cars, and hence less likely to fix their cars in the future. But that is caused by at least in part what you are saying - it is harder to fix cars now w/ all the electronics and special tools/equipment to buy.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #45

Fuego has a point here. I grew up watching Dad fix our cars, so I expected guys to do that kind of stuff. I remember finding out that a guy I dated in high school took his car in for oil changes--I was stunned and embarrassed for him!

DH grew up fixing cars, so he fixes ours now. And we never run out of repairs for him to do--this weekend is the rear shocks on his Saturn. A big pending project is the 1984 Mercedes we bought for him to run on grease. That will be an ongoing one, as he has lots of little things to fix on it.

Some of my best father/daughter conversations happened while my dad was working on our family cars: he had the time to listen and I loved watching him work. Good memories.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Tri-five?
'56 210 wagon in process here.
Cool - any pics?

Ah, those were the days - Chevy could make some good looking cars and didn't have to worry about foreign competition.