Does anybody have a feeling they have too many online accounts?

This is what I do. For example, the password for my account for the Epocrates website begins with an "e" (the rest of the letters is the same "root" password).
I had read somewhere about a good technique: have one password that meets the most requirements and then just add the letter of the site you are visiting, so every site has a unique password but easy to remember.

I was discussing this with a friend today. He mentioned a tip from Gibson of spinright fame - add a few periods or numbers to an otherwise weak password to make it impervious to brute force attacks all you need to remember is the easy password and the followup. You could do something similar by using easy to remember passwords with the same complex addon to all.

I keep unique passwords in my PW safe but there are only 6. All the rest of the sites get my standard ID (seen here) with 2 standard variants and a standard PW with letters and numbers. Sometimes the PW is capitalized (first letter only) and sometimes the last numeral is replaced with a letter. All the non-standard PWs are put in my safe in case I need it.

My UK bank (HSBC) is about to enter a 2nd level of authentication using an electronic device I'll have to carry around :facepalm:

This second level involves me, as part of logging on, entering a PIN (of my choice) into the gadget which will then generate a code I'll need to use to complete the log on process.

My UK bank (HSBC) is about to enter a 2nd level of authentication using an electronic device I'll have to carry around :facepalm:

This second level involves me, as part of logging on, entering a PIN (of my choice) into the gadget which will then generate a code I'll need to use to complete the log on process.

Brings back memories. Had one of those gadget thingies back when telecomuting from home for w*rk.

Just when you are almost out, they pull you back in :LOL:

Brings back memories. Had one of those gadget thingies back when telecomuting from home for w*rk.

Just when you are almost out, they pull you back in :LOL:

Yep, I did too.

I guess the work nightmares will start again shortly. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom