Does anyone here ride ATV's or dirtbikes?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'd love another ATV...I sold the only one ive ever owned to gather some cash a few years back....but I'd like to buy a used one

Just wondering if anyone on here rides?

Ideally, I'm looking for a 4x4 utility type quad (vs. sporty) so I can attach a plow and get rid of my crapsmen mower....as I now own commercial lawncare equipment....and I want to spend no more than 1500....

Not an ATV, but my current favorite motorcycle is my Suzuki V-Strom. A big dual purpose or adventure touring bike that can go pretty much anywhere, with the right tires. and I bought it specifically so I can use it for the road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay in 2009. Plan ahead!!

I used to ride dirt bikes and atv's, unfortunatly due to cost savings and no clear area to ride locally I was forced to sell. I wish I could pick up where I left off. It's great exercise not to mention a whole lot of fun. I can just see the look on my son's face if we were to ride together. Oh What A Feeling.

Thanks for the reminder of the fun I used to have with these toys.

Going to be hard to find a 4 X 4 with a plow that is in decent shape for $1500.

Martha said:
Going to be hard to find a 4 X 4 with a plow that is in decent shape for $1500.

aint that the truth! I can find some decent 2 wheel sport atvs for 1500...and ive seen 2 wheel atvs plow snow okay (6 inches or so )Of course id still need the plow

But i figure i can sell my craftsment for $1k and then only be 'out' $1k or so after im done

My other desire is to get an atv/dirtbike for my son, who is only 2 now. I think it'd be a really, really fun dad/son activity....I can get him an atv for 600-800 all day long.

I used to own the fastest ever production 4 wheeler (at the time) polaris predator 500 cc, first year it was out. MAAAAAN was it fast...after mods and such I could get it up to 90 mph. And it was 0-60 in what seemed like 2 seconds (if you could keep the front end on the ground). All i want now is something to tool around on and have fun

We have a 4x4 Polaris Sport that I love. We bought it used from someone who needed some quick cash. I grew up on ATVs, so we use it for both yard work and for play. We're thinking about a plow for next year.

Ride my Kawasaki Prairie quad up into the mountains 2-3 time per month w/ some riding buddies. During the week - it mows the property w/ a tow behind mower - levels the driveway w/ a blade and takes me to the stream/lake to fish.
Paid $6400 for mine new in 01 - looks/rides like new. These quads last well so buying a used one from someone that took care of it makes sense. $1500 will not get you much - $3000 is more realistic

thefed said:
My other desire is to get an atv/dirtbike for my son, who is only 2 now. I think it'd be a really, really fun dad/son activity....I can get him an atv for 600-800 all day long.

I have ridden atvs, dirt bikes, and other motorcycles. In some ways I worry more about kids on atvs than on dirt bikes. If you have ridden both you know that atvs take a lot of muscling around to handle properly. Young kids just aren't made for riding them in my mind. Plus, the riding is not as intuitive as a dirtbike and kids seem to make a lot of riding mistakes. A small dirt bike with appropriate riding gear might be a better way to start. My BIL had all his kids start riding at about 5 years old (this despite the fact that his wife is a pediatrician). He made a small backyard track, had them wear body armor and fullface helmets, and they had appropriately sized dirtbikes.

Either way, be careful and don't ride two up on the atv with your kid. It is just too risky.

http://www.injuryfree.org/safetytpc_display.cfm?PermanentId=D331E956-B845-4AFC-9478A4A8CAC0AE55

No ATVs or ATCs, but I currently have somewhere in the 10-15 range of bikes, depending on how I count heaps of parts.

The brands include: Motobi, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BSA, Triumph, Matchless and Can Am/Rotax. Street bikes, dirt bikes, and roadracers/MXers/trials bikes.

I hope to get a vintage RR bike built for this season.

cheers,
Michael
www.eurospares.com if you are interested in about 140M of "not run of the mill" motorcycle stuff

I have a Yamaha Rhino S x S. It can handle a plow and all sorts of attachments. We like it so my wife can ride with me on our outings. So far it has been very reliable with the exception of a trip to the Black Rock and though I had spare fuel I was not paying attention and let it run out of fuel. Took a while to get it primed and running again. That was lesson learned in monitoring my miles. :D

I assume all you ATV, dirt bike and snowmobile riders are good guys who stick to the trails and don't scar the landscape for everyone else?

Sadly, there are a few jerks these days who think making ruts, knocking down vegetation, littering and the like in formerly pristine outdoor areas are what motorized outdoor vehicles are all about......... :p

We only ride on our own property (22 acres and home and 250 acres at Dad's hunting camp).

The local paper has been running specials on ATV's and killing kids this week. Every day, fromt page article.

From the sound of the articles (I have only skimmed a few of them) it sounds like kids on adult ATV are very dangerous. And riding 2 per. But, I'm sure that is the attraction. I've never been into the scene. Very big on the Oregon coast with dunes and all.

Heartbreaking stories of kids getting maimed. A few ATV's flipped over on adults.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianatv/

Back
Top Bottom