Dogs, Power Outage, Smoke, Fire, Grow House

Well, I think we should all join together and wish T-Al's soon to be former neighbors an old fashioned ER farewell...

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out"

There are two other suspected grow houses in the area now, and I'm going to see what can be done to shut them down.

Eliminating the competition huh? ;)

Just kidding. Glad the dogs won't bother you anymore.

Eliminating the competition huh? ;)
Just kidding. Glad the dogs won't bother you anymore.
Al, maybe you just need a different kind of security animal:

Attachments

• Bunnies eating marijuana leaves.jpg
    Bunnies eating marijuana leaves.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
They are gone now! :clap:

They were supposed to be gone by the first, but stayed a few days longer. That last month was bad. Both my neighbor and I received somewhat threatening visits, and every third night or so we were awakened in the middle of the night by the dogs or comings and goings.

It's worrisome how easily a nice quiet neighborhood feel can be ruined.

Quick update: The neighbor (homeowner) has done some cleanup, and has decided to let the bank have the house.

What do you think the bank will do? That is, fix it up and sell it now, or wait until the market improves?

Quick update: The neighbor (homeowner) has done some cleanup, and has decided to let the bank have the house.

What do you think the bank will do? That is, fix it up and sell it now, or wait until the market improves?

Operate it as a meth lab.

will be tough to sell as is unless the buyer pays cash.

Once a house is tagged a grow house it is tough to get a mortgage because insurance companies won't insure it until the issues (mold, electrical changes that violate code) have been remediated.

will be tough to sell as is unless the buyer pays cash.

Once a house is tagged a grow house it is tough to get a mortgage because insurance companies won't insure it until the issues (mold, electrical changes that violate code) have been remediated.

How does a house get tagged?

The other issue is that the mother-in-law cottage in the back was built without a permit.

Of course we'd love it if it sat vacant for years. Every recession has a silver lining.

How does a house get tagged?
It'd only get tagged if an insurance claim had been filed, or if the house figured prominently in a criminal case (such as being confiscated as part of a drug prosecution). I think it's difficult to get "tagged" in the latter, although by the rules the seller should include the disclosure from hell as part of the transaction.

Of course we'd love it if it sat vacant for years. Every recession has a silver lining.
You mean as a shelter for vagrants, unruly teens, and meth producers?

The neighbors across our cul-de-sac moved to his employer's Japan branch the weekend we moved in (over a decade ago). They turned their property management over to a local church which uses it for committee/group meetings, short-term lodging for guests/speakers, and a rectory for an occasional contract employee. Whatever cash flow exists probably pays the property taxes.

When it's occupied, life is good. (The current tenant runs their youth group and is an excellent musician, so we get free concerts on weekday late mornings/early afternoons.) We generally meet interesting people and get invited over for the occasional talk-story or potluck. The religious aspect isn't an issue, although the occasional "Hallelujah!" has been known to break out after an exceptionally fervent witness.

When it's vacant there are perpetual problems with its alarm system going off, water sprinklers breaking and exterior water valves being left running, neighborhood teens using the property (well, actually using each other, but on the property), and last week's trash attracting this week's rodents. I can only imagine how bad things would get if the property was effectively abandoned.

So if the next-door house is not going to be properly cared for (including remediating the permit problems) then perhaps your neighbor could consider donating the property to a local church or other religious/civic organization. Even a teardown/vacant lot would be preferable to a derelict shelter.

I'm surprised you & Lena haven't contemplated a little entrepreneurial property development & landlording... think of the Adsense revenue your blog could generate!

Busted!

The guy who was growing at this house was busted yesterday at another grow house!
Inside the residence, officers reported locating more than 800 marijuana plants in various stages of growth, more than 70 pounds of processed marijuana in various stages of drying, psilocybin mushrooms, one high-powered rifle and nearly $5,000 in cash.

City building officials responded to the scene due to unpermitted modifications and hazardous conditions in the electrical wiring.
He was arrested on four drug-related charges, and is being held without bail.

Book him, Danno!

The guy who was growing at this house was busted yesterday at another grow house!
So he was running a string of rental properties? A serial tenant?!?

You would think that a little more skill in home wiring would have saved him thousands in legal costs... and a felony conviction.

Was it one of the other suspected grow houses in the area? Will you be getting a share of the Crimestoppers bounty fund?

Glad these horrible neighbors are gone T-Al!

I think I will go kiss my neighbors on either side today. Actually, I do want to talk to the young couple to the left of me. I arrived home yesterday to see a granite installer with truck in their driveway, many men working and a rubble pile of sinks and laminate. Maybe they will invite me in to see their new installation.

Was it one of the other suspected grow houses in the area?

It was a town or two away from us. I'm glad he didn't get busted related to any whistle-blowing that we did. We figure he must have had both houses going at the same time.

From my brief conversation with him, he didn't seem very smart at all.

One of the signs of a drug house is barking aggressive dogs.

Thank your lucky stars they weren't meth cookers. Were I you I would gather the neighbors to put together a strategy to prevent vagrants/other druggies from moving while the house is vacant. Have a sit-down with your local police agency to explore options. Maybe approach the owner with a temporary renter that would be a good renter at a discount until the foreclosure process is completed, assuming that the place is safe. You don't want to go from bad neighbors to awful neighbors.

IMHO those who rent to grow or cook operations should be convicted as well. Leases give the owner the right to periodically inspect the premises, they should do that particularly if the neighbors complain about tenants.

Back
Top Bottom