DQOTD: (foodies) distance you'll drive for a great restaurant?

I'll drive up to an hour. I live in a restaurant paradise in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't really have to go far to find interesting and excellent meals. When I ER'd I started going out to lunch more often.

Hmmm - having spent 30 yrs in New Orleans (live to eat and all that) distance is not a limit if I thought /was convinced it was worth a try.

I do limit travel to the planet Earth though.

:D

heh heh heh - short drives of 50 - 60 miles are normal for some certain German or Cajun foods or even a favorite pastry/doughnut shop. :cool:

Recently brought home some Italian bread from a burger joint in Paris, TX they were using - it was a small version of the kind on a New Orleans Muff from Central Grocery.

I'm not a foodie just strongly opinionated. :rolleyes: :greetings10:

Well the nearest restaurant to us is about 15 miles away and it's "Subway" sandwich shop. It's a 50+ mile drive (one way) in any direction to get to anything much more than a fast food place around here. But at 75+mph, it doesn't take too long to get to a nice place to eat.

I'm definitely not a foodie, but I do appreciate a good meal. I can't see myself traveling any significant distance to a restaurant, but I'll cheerfully drive up to 100 miles to judge at a professional barbecue contest. I'm a certified judge, and most of the entries are just awesomely good.

Kansas City Barbeque Society

We are surrounded by lots of restaurants within a 10 minutes drive but we routinely drive 25-30 miles to eat lunch or dinner as we are centrally located between Boston and Providence and there's lots of great restaurants in both cities. Our goal is to experience as many of these places as we could.

Last week we had a great lunch at a French restaurant in Boston's waterfront "Miel, Brasserie Provencal" and we didn't even have to drive as we took the commuter rail.

Last edited:
18 km from PV downtown to Boca de Tomatlan for lunch on the beach
Another 18 km from Boca to Yelapa by water taxi for lunch on the beach: 36km
also
Downtown to lunch at the marina in La Crux: 32 km

Usually do these once in a 6 month season. Most meals are walking distance from home.

We're driving 22 miles tomorrow for pi(e) :)

From a previous pilgrimage:

Attachments

• 12033078_10206229572871065_3500710451273926780_n.jpg
    12033078_10206229572871065_3500710451273926780_n.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Heh, funny you should mention. The pie emporium is located in Auburn, near many of my favoritest hiking trails. I'll probably be hiking up there later in the week. So of course I'll needs to build up my strength! Thanks for the [-]rationalization[/-] suggestion! :greetings10:

I'll drive from Albuquerque to Santa Fe to have dinner (about 65 miles from my house) although I will generally try to go to the plaza and maybe hit a couple of my favorite shops too. Santa Fe has nicer restaurants. When on travel in Texas or the South, I'm willing to drive a few extra miles to visit a recommended BBQ, fried chicken, or southern/soul food restaurant. And I'm also a pie lover so while in the Houston suburbs for Thanksgiving, I had my brother drive me into the city to buy pies at Flying Saucer. The fresh strawberry cream pie was delicious!

Last edited:
Heh, funny you should mention. The pie emporium is located in Auburn, near many of my favoritest hiking trails. I'll probably be hiking up there later in the week. So of course I'll needs to build up my strength! Thanks for the [-]rationalization[/-] suggestion! :greetings10:

Glad to be of assistance. :)

I'm not a foodie, but DW and the daughters suffer from the illness;).

Since I've started cooking I have come to appreciate the taste of food more. It has become clear that we can cook at home better and cheaper than all but the finest restaurants AND I can control the atmosphere.

I am not opposed to eating out at a nice restaurant, but (as some of you have heard me complain elsewhere) my definition would require fellow diners who converse in whispers and perhaps some soft string music playing in the background to accompany a spectacular meal. In other words, fine dining the way it was when I was young and couldn't afford it.

I don't live very far from Auburn and I've been driving that way to go hiking myself. What is the name of this pie emporium of which you speak?

We go out to eat a twice a week or so but it is usually 4 or 5 star Yelp ethnic restaurants, like Vietnamese or Thai food, and never the Michelin star kinds of places. There are many nice ethnic restaurants we like within 10 miles or so of our house. We drive a bit further sometimes for restaurants with pretty waterfront views once in awhile or foodie / wine tasting events.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom