Join Early Retirement Today

Geyserville restaurants
Old 03-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Geyserville restaurants

We live 30 miles north. Like Diavolo, but love, love Catelli's. Try their lasagne -- incredibly thin sheets of pasta.

Going to Diabolo next Sunday with friends.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently saw a documentary about these 4 extreme foodies. Money is no object. They fly all around the world to go to the top restaurants. They all write blogs and are well known in the foodie world. Their are 109 3 star michelin restaurants in the world and one of these 4 has gone to all of them. The name of the doc is Foodies.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We drove 65 miles for a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Napa Valley area. It required no less than 1 year advance reservation.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
We drove 65 miles for a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Napa Valley area. It required no less than 1 year advance reservation.
Sounds like TFL. We ate there, it was excellent but not worth the $, resting on their laurels nowadays? Glad we went once, but we wouldn't go back.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Sounds like TFL. We ate there, it was excellent but not worth the $, resting on their laurels nowadays? Glad we went once, but we wouldn't go back.
Definitely not for your average American diner. I was glad to experience it as a once-in-a-lifetime event, enjoyed the experience, but do not relish ever paying that kind of price for 4 guests again. (By the way, the tip was already included in the total, something not quite obvious until my DH wisely inquired.)
Old 03-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll drive up to an hour. I live in a restaurant paradise in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't really have to go far to find interesting and excellent meals. When I ER'd I started going out to lunch more often.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - having spent 30 yrs in New Orleans (live to eat and all that) distance is not a limit if I thought /was convinced it was worth a try.

I do limit travel to the planet Earth though.

heh heh heh - short drives of 50 - 60 miles are normal for some certain German or Cajun foods or even a favorite pastry/doughnut shop.

Recently brought home some Italian bread from a burger joint in Paris, TX they were using - it was a small version of the kind on a New Orleans Muff from Central Grocery.

I'm not a foodie just strongly opinionated.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well the nearest restaurant to us is about 15 miles away and it's "Subway" sandwich shop. It's a 50+ mile drive (one way) in any direction to get to anything much more than a fast food place around here. But at 75+mph, it doesn't take too long to get to a nice place to eat.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'm definitely not a foodie, but I do appreciate a good meal. I can't see myself traveling any significant distance to a restaurant, but I'll cheerfully drive up to 100 miles to judge at a professional barbecue contest. I'm a certified judge, and most of the entries are just awesomely good.

Kansas City Barbeque Society
Old 03-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #30

We are surrounded by lots of restaurants within a 10 minutes drive but we routinely drive 25-30 miles to eat lunch or dinner as we are centrally located between Boston and Providence and there's lots of great restaurants in both cities. Our goal is to experience as many of these places as we could.

Last week we had a great lunch at a French restaurant in Boston's waterfront "Miel, Brasserie Provencal" and we didn't even have to drive as we took the commuter rail.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
18 km from PV downtown to Boca de Tomatlan for lunch on the beach
Another 18 km from Boca to Yelapa by water taxi for lunch on the beach: 36km
also
Downtown to lunch at the marina in La Crux: 32 km

Usually do these once in a 6 month season. Most meals are walking distance from home.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We're driving 22 miles tomorrow for pi(e)

From a previous pilgrimage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12033078_10206229572871065_3500710451273926780_n.jpg (192.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
We're driving 22 miles tomorrow for pie.
If you walk the 22 miles you could have TWO!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Heh, funny you should mention. The pie emporium is located in Auburn, near many of my favoritest hiking trails. I'll probably be hiking up there later in the week. So of course I'll needs to build up my strength! Thanks for the rationalization suggestion!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll drive from Albuquerque to Santa Fe to have dinner (about 65 miles from my house) although I will generally try to go to the plaza and maybe hit a couple of my favorite shops too. Santa Fe has nicer restaurants. When on travel in Texas or the South, I'm willing to drive a few extra miles to visit a recommended BBQ, fried chicken, or southern/soul food restaurant. And I'm also a pie lover so while in the Houston suburbs for Thanksgiving, I had my brother drive me into the city to buy pies at Flying Saucer. The fresh strawberry cream pie was delicious!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Heh, funny you should mention. The pie emporium is located in Auburn, near many of my favoritest hiking trails. I'll probably be hiking up there later in the week. So of course I'll needs to build up my strength! Thanks for the rationalization suggestion!
Glad to be of assistance.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not a foodie, but DW and the daughters suffer from the illness.

Since I've started cooking I have come to appreciate the taste of food more. It has become clear that we can cook at home better and cheaper than all but the finest restaurants AND I can control the atmosphere.

I am not opposed to eating out at a nice restaurant, but (as some of you have heard me complain elsewhere) my definition would require fellow diners who converse in whispers and perhaps some soft string music playing in the background to accompany a spectacular meal. In other words, fine dining the way it was when I was young and couldn't afford it.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I don't live very far from Auburn and I've been driving that way to go hiking myself. What is the name of this pie emporium of which you speak?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Ikeda's! There's one in Davis as well.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We go out to eat a twice a week or so but it is usually 4 or 5 star Yelp ethnic restaurants, like Vietnamese or Thai food, and never the Michelin star kinds of places. There are many nice ethnic restaurants we like within 10 miles or so of our house. We drive a bit further sometimes for restaurants with pretty waterfront views once in awhile or foodie / wine tasting events.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote