For Florida Beach Bums Only - How do you like where you live and why?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is aimed at folks who live in what they consider "close to the beach" perhaps we should set a limit of 30 - 45 minutes. With all the folks moving to Florida and/or looking to move to Florida, I thought those of us who live here could offer a personal view for them. OK, yes, it will be somewhat biased, but may prove of some value.

When I said "Beach Bum" I was being a little tongue in cheek, for us for example we like the beach city vibe, but do not spend every waking moment on the beach, if fact far from it. We do like to go walk on the beach, but probably only do that once a month. We like the vibe of a beach city, that is pretty much it. Most folks seem to be smiling and happy when they are out and about.

Some questions, I would want answered, but not all, it is aimed at folks that are empty nesters and retired:

Crime, what is your experience?

Things to do?

How far from the beach are you, and if you were to move, how far from the beach would you consider to be tolerable?

Insurance and Taxes

I will start:

We live on a barrier island in NW Florida, walking (30 mins.) and/or biking distance (10 - 15 mins.) from the beach. Biking is easier, especially in 90-degree heat. The furthest we would go is 15 minutes' drive, but in most of coastal Florida once you get there parking is prohibitive for the best spots. If parking is full here, we can go home easily and go back later. But whenever we have looked Temps have been 5 degrees, even up to 10 sometimes higher than us.

As mentioned above we like the beach city vibe, full of happy people, it is great to walk on the beach when one wants to.

Lots to do, we are only 5 or so miles from a biggish tourist town and the things to do are endless.

Relatively close to a major airport.

The weather, a lot milder that the South, SW or SE. We do get cooler in the winter, nothing that would kill going out or having to wear a heavy coat. No Snow. June, July & August are brutal, but we are used to it, you will get used to it too. I only wear long trousers to go to posh events, even then I wear open sandals and I do not go to many of those. Yes, we get hurricanes, so far "touch wood", being on the NE crook of Florida between Daytona and Savanna Georgia has been pretty tolerable.

We have not experienced any direct crime; we do read about it though. It has not been an issue ... for us.

45 minutes from a BIG City with everything your heart desires ...... including the crime to go with it.

One of our MAIN criteria was being close to great healthcare (Medicare accessible). We have everything within 5 miles. We rarely have to go to the city for any ailments, but we do have friends who are Mayo "Snobs" and Mayo is 45 minutes away.

When we have looked further Inland, we notice neighborhoods deteriorate fast, even 5 miles inland you notice 3 or 4 cars in the driveway, not so well-maintained homes. Agreed, we are somewhat spoilt as our development is well looked after, the HOA does a great job in general. But not all developments are created equal, just yesterday we went to look at a smaller home and would not live in that particular development. Saying that not all are like that, we just get put off when we see them. We continue to look for a smaller home we would like in a development we would like and will keep doing so. No place like home, I guess. All in all we do like NE Florida. What we did notice is that this is less prevalent on the west coast, there were more developments that we liked and would consider living in, but they were a long way from the beach and the crowds and traffic were an issue.

I look forward to hearing other folks perspectives of their Beach experiences.

Last edited:
I wish I could add a personal perspective but I know you are in a really nice spot which I have visited quite a few times, but I live elsewhere.

On up to St. Simons is also interesting and relatively insulated from strong storms.

Sounds like you are threading the needle pretty well.

I guess you are too far from the ocean to benefit from ocean breezes?

Can you elaborate on the brutal summers. I tend to avoid continental US beaches in summer but that is due to crowds, not heat.

Plus having lived in Texas and Arizona I get heat. And humidity.

All the best.

I guess you are too far from the ocean to benefit from ocean breezes?

We get them (1.5m from the beach), every day. I have to look out the windows daily to see if it is good to fly my drone. I do not like flying when the wind is too strong.

Summer temps in the months I mentioned are usually in the 90's and the humidity is quite high. But the breezes help.

Thanks for starting this thread, ShokWave. I'll be watching the various replies. We were out in West Palm Beach a few weeks ago for some orthopedic surgery for our granddaughter, and it got me thinking about a winter place in FL for ourselves and our daughter once we pass. We live in CO, but we lived in Houston for 17 years, so we understand heat and oppressive humidity.

West Palm is pricey (and probably touristy?), so I look forward to learning more about other areas. Your neck of the woods sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread, ShokWave. I'll be watching the various replies. We were out in West Palm Beach a few weeks ago for some orthopedic surgery for our granddaughter, and I got me thinking about a winter place in FL for ourselves and our daughter once we pass. We live in CO, but we lived in Houston for 17 years, so we understand heat and oppressive humidity.

West Palm is pricey (and probably touristy?), so I look forward to learning more about other areas. Your neck of the woods sounds interesting.

Thanks, hopefully other folks will chime in. I Scuba has been checking the state out.

We get them (1.5m from the beach), every day. I have to look out the windows daily to see if it is good to fly my drone. I do not like flying when the wind is too strong.

Summer temps in the months I mentioned are usually in the 90's and the humidity is quite high. But the breezes help.

Nice. did not realize you were that close.

I realize this thread is geared towards Florida... but thought I'd add a west coast perspective.

Some questions, I would want answered, but not all, it is aimed at folks that are empty nesters and retired:

Things to do?

How far from the beach are you, and if you were to move, how far from the beach would you consider to be tolerable?

Insurance and Taxes

I live in suburban San Diego, about 2 miles as the crow flies from the beach. A 10 minute drive, a 30-40 minute bike ride... I don't ride my bike there since there are some BIG hills (and canyons) between our home and the beach.

I go to the beach almost every day to walk the dog. Our typical walk is 2-3 miles. (Tide dependent). I also have a network of early morning beach friends - the 'old surfer' guys, the middle aged 'surf before work' crew, the regular beach walkers and dog walkers.

I do not go to the beach to lay on the sand... though at least once per summer I get talked into going for a few hours... I spend the time in the water boogie boarding since I don't like laying out on the sand unless I have an umbrella and a good book.

Crime is not really an issue. Though if you read nextdoor too much you'd think it was.

Taxes & Insurance: Our property taxes are fairly low because of prop 13. We are on a mesa above a canyon, so no flood risk. We've mitigated, as much as possible, our fire risk (being above a canyon, that's the real risk here), and have had our home owners insurance reflect the steps we've taken. (My husband is president of the local 'Fire Safe Council').

Another location thought - we get ocean breezes, even 2 miles in. We also get seasonal 'night and morning low clouds and fog' (aka marine layer) but less marine layer than at the coast.

I wouldn't want to live more than about 5 miles from the ocean, here on the west coast, for the weather/heat reasons. Our temps (year round) are MUCH more tolerable than places that are only 5 miles more inland.

I'm in the western FL Panhandle between Panama City Beach and Ft. Walton Beach. Similar latitude and weather to OP. House is 1 mile to the beach as the crow flies or driving/walking. Previously lived in Ft. Lauderdale burbs for 15+ yrs, about 10 miles in from the Atlantic coast.

Fair to call the Emerald Coast the heart of the "Redneck Riviera". The sugar sand beaches are incredibly clean and only the tourists walk on them in shoes. Barefoot is the way to go, and you can do it safely. Add your shoes to the pile of them at the top of the dune like everyone else as you head down to the beach:)

This is a tourist-driven area, so we have things you wouldn't expect for the core population - Fleming's and Ruth's Chris steak houses, PF Chang's, Orvis, WIlliams-Sonoma. Great fresh seafood and other dining. All of them here due to the tourists, as the resident local population doesn't justify them. We locals have them to ourselves 8 months of the year.

Daily retail conveniences, and medical services? Not quite as good. Costco is 2.5 hours away (Mobile or Tallahassee), Target is a 30 minute drive in the off season, Sam's Club is an hour away. Dollar General is very convenient, however.:cool:

Health care is good for routine care and problems. Have to go to Pensacola, Tallahassee or beyond if it gets really complicated.

I grew up in the western US and never acquired a taste for laying on the beach or sacrificing my apex predator status by getting in the Gulf/Atlantic/Pacific. That said, I do really like living near the water. Proximity helps to moderate the temps and there is nearly always a breeze off the Gulf at my house. Would not want to live any closer though, much less on the beach, as the tourists are often ill-behaved and inconsiderate. Plus, the corrosion damage to cars and houses on the beach is horrific whether the tourists are here or not.

All in, it's been great living here when I have. Schools are excellent and my kids did very well. Neither will return as childless adults, which says more about the small size of the core community than anything else. Not sure that I will stay after fulfilling my commitment to the youngest. I'm going to give it 18-24 months as a single empty nester before making any decision.

If I do move, it will still be in FL - as close to the beach as I can afford, with more robust healthcare and retail nearby than I have here.

I'm in the western FL Panhandle between Panama City Beach and Ft. Walton Beach. Similar latitude and weather to OP. House is 1 mile to the beach as the crow flies or driving/walking. Previously lived in Ft. Lauderdale burbs for 15+ yrs, about 10 miles in from the Atlantic coast.

Fair to call the Emerald Coast the heart of the "Redneck Riviera". The sugar sand beaches are incredibly clean and only the tourists walk on them in shoes. Barefoot is the way to go, and you can do it safely. Add your shoes to the pile of them at the top of the dune like everyone else as you head down to the beach:)

This is a tourist-driven area, so we have things you wouldn't expect for the core population - Fleming's and Ruth's Chris steak houses, PF Chang's, Orvis, WIlliams-Sonoma. Great fresh seafood and other dining. All of them here due to the tourists, as the resident local population doesn't justify them. We locals have them to ourselves 8 months of the year.

Daily retail conveniences, and medical services? Not quite as good. Costco is 2.5 hours away (Mobile or Tallahassee), Target is a 30 minute drive in the off season, Sam's Club is an hour away. Dollar General is very convenient, however.:cool:

Health care is good for routine care and problems. Have to go to Pensacola, Tallahassee or beyond if it gets really complicated.

I grew up in the western US and never acquired a taste for laying on the beach or sacrificing my apex predator status by getting in the Gulf/Atlantic/Pacific. That said, I do really like living near the water. Proximity helps to moderate the temps and there is nearly always a breeze off the Gulf at my house. Would not want to live any closer though, much less on the beach, as the tourists are often ill-behaved and inconsiderate. Plus, the corrosion damage to cars and houses on the beach is horrific whether the tourists are here or not.

All in, it's been great living here when I have. Schools are excellent and my kids did very well. Neither will return as childless adults, which says more about the small size of the core community than anything else. Not sure that I will stay after fulfilling my commitment to the youngest. I'm going to give it 18-24 months as a single empty nester before making any decision.

If I do move, it will still be in FL - as close to the beach as I can afford, with more robust healthcare and retail nearby than I have here.
So where would that be, FlaGstor?

Great writeup BTW.

We live in Hawaii, so we have beaches everywhere. Closet to us is 10 minutes by car. The "pathetic" little beach that we could just about walk to (well, back in the day) is a 5 minute drive.

As long as the trade winds are blowing, weather is comfortable. On the leeward side, rain is unusual except in the "winter.":LOL: Virtually every day highs are low 80s in winter and high 80s in summer. Humidity for sure, but not like the southern USA.

Parking is rarely problematic. Most beaches have huge parking lots. Of course, when we go to Kailua beach, we sometimes have a little issue with parking - depending on what time we go.

Once in a while we like to play tourist (reminders of days gone by) and we hit Waikiki beach. I love the beach there because it's rarely raining and you're always close to something else to do shop, restaurant, people watch - our favorite spot is the rocking chairs on the lanai of the Moana Surfrider Hotel. https://www.reservationdesk.com/hot...vi__&msclkid=337052b14160121b9bf7361b6c9936e0 If you look at the opening picture, you can almost see us sitting on the lanai behind the arches. :cool: The beach is just the other side of the building.

All our beaches have a different "vibe." Waikiki is for "tourists" who want to laze in the sun or hook-up or learn to surf, etc. Sunset is for serious bogie boarding. It's a dangerous beach due to the surf and no one should go into the water who doesn't know what their getting into. Waimanalo is fairly local with swimming and big-wave surfing when the surf comes from the east. Bellows is family oriented with good swimming. Kailua is a long beach good for walking (plus kite surfing and sail boarding.) Lanikai is where all the calendar pictures are taken. The beach has been eroding for a long time, but the views are stunning and what beach is left is wonderful. There is almost no parking as it's a residential district.

These beaches are just the ones on the southern end of the Island. Heading further north and around the Island, there are many more beaches with all kinds of flavors. Most are nearly deserted. There is an unofficial "nude" beach on the north shore toward Ka'enea point. I've never been as I don't want to see people that look like me!:blush:

Weather - I think I covered it for the entire Island.

Crime - yeah, big thing at beaches is smash and grab. Two choices: Leave NOTHING visible in the car - lock in the trunk. Even better is leave nothing in your car and leave the windows down.

Oh, be SURE you have "legal" sun protection lotion. The old standbys are killing our reefs, so buy local (or look up what is legal to bring.)

We have good health care on Oahu. There are a few things (some cancer treatments or very specialized operations) that one needs to go to California.

Hurricanes: I hope I don't jinx us, but the last major hurricane to make landfall was Iniki in 1992. It scoured the Island of Kauai. Not one hotel room remained. Other than that, we've had some near misses and lots of rain from a lot of storms, but damage and loss of life have been relatively minimal. For one thing, our state, while spread out, is still a small target in a big ocean. Central Pacific storms tend to be fewer than in the Gulf area.

We have our share of homelessness (where would you rather be homeless - Chicago or Honolulu?) We have our share of drug crime, but you know (or your gut will tell you) where to avoid. We have our share of poverty, but not what you might think. The family orientation of our culture means families look after each other - meaning you might have as many as 4 generations living in one house. Land/housing is incredibly expensive - but not as bad (in general) as much of the nice parts of California. Everything is expensive, but you learn to adapt and to substitute.

Taxes - the good news for Hawaii, retirees have relatively low state taxes in most case and the state has low RE taxes.

I realize this thread is geared towards Florida... but thought I'd add a west coast perspective.

Things to do?

Insurance and Taxes

I live in suburban San Diego, about 2 miles as the crow flies from the beach. A 10 minute drive, a 30-40 minute bike ride... I don't ride my bike there since there are some BIG hills (and canyons) between our home and the beach.

I go to the beach almost every day to walk the dog. Our typical walk is 2-3 miles. (Tide dependent). I also have a network of early morning beach friends - the 'old surfer' guys, the middle aged 'surf before work' crew, the regular beach walkers and dog walkers.

I do not go to the beach to lay on the sand... though at least once per summer I get talked into going for a few hours... I spend the time in the water boogie boarding since I don't like laying out on the sand unless I have an umbrella and a good book.

Crime is not really an issue. Though if you read nextdoor too much you'd think it was.

Taxes & Insurance: Our property taxes are fairly low because of prop 13. We are on a mesa above a canyon, so no flood risk. We've mitigated, as much as possible, our fire risk (being above a canyon, that's the real risk here), and have had our home owners insurance reflect the steps we've taken. (My husband is president of the local 'Fire Safe Council').

Another location thought - we get ocean breezes, even 2 miles in. We also get seasonal 'night and morning low clouds and fog' (aka marine layer) but less marine layer than at the coast.

I wouldn't want to live more than about 5 miles from the ocean, here on the west coast, for the weather/heat reasons. Our temps (year round) are MUCH more tolerable than places that are only 5 miles more inland.

Do you have to pay for parking at said beach? I live 1/2 mile from the ocean in San Clemente and I love it - but I'm renting and it would pretty much be multi-millions to buy.

Do you have to pay for parking at said beach? I live 1/2 mile from the ocean in San Clemente and I love it - but I'm renting and it would pretty much be multi-millions to buy.
Can't resist this dumb question: is it reasonable to rent?

He tells you in the first paragraph.

I think he was asking what part of FL is ..."as close to the beach as I can afford, with more robust healthcare and retail nearby than I have here."

What about St. Augustine? I spent a couple of days there and really liked it. Don't know about beaches but would guess they have health care - if not, then there is Jacksonville not too far away.

We live on a barrier island in NW Florida, walking (30 mins.) and/or biking distance (10 - 15 mins.) from the beach. Biking is easier, especially in 90-degree heat. The furthest we would go is 15 minutes' drive, but in most of coastal Florida once you get there parking is prohibitive for the best spots. If parking is full here, we can go home easily and go back later. But whenever we have looked Temps have been 5 degrees, even up to 10 sometimes higher than us.

Where do you live ? 1st you state NW Florida.

Then further down you state NE Florida.

Live on an Island and live in NE too?:cool:

Where do you live ? 1st you state NW Florida.

Then further down you state NE Florida.

Live on an Island and live in NE too?:cool:

OOPS! BIG OOPS! I meant NE Florida....... Be great if the Mods would amend this as I cannot now. Actually, my Location does say that, or the First Coast as we call it here, assuming you do too.

What about St. Augustine? I spent a couple of days there and really liked it. Don't know about beaches but would guess they have health care - if not, then there is Jacksonville not too far away.

That is where we are.

We live in Hawaii, so we have beaches everywhere. Closet to us is 10 minutes by car. The "pathetic" little beach that we could just about walk to (well, back in the day) is a 5 minute drive.

As long as the trade winds are blowing, weather is comfortable. On the leeward side, rain is unusual except in the "winter.":LOL: Virtually every day highs are low 80s in winter and high 80s in summer. Humidity for sure, but not like the southern USA.

Parking is rarely problematic. Most beaches have huge parking lots. Of course, when we go to Kailua beach, we sometimes have a little issue with parking - depending on what time we go.

Once in a while we like to play tourist (reminders of days gone by) and we hit Waikiki beach. I love the beach there because it's rarely raining and you're always close to something else to do shop, restaurant, people watch - our favorite spot is the rocking chairs on the lanai of the Moana Surfrider Hotel. https://www.reservationdesk.com/hot...vi__&msclkid=337052b14160121b9bf7361b6c9936e0 If you look at the opening picture, you can almost see us sitting on the lanai behind the arches. :cool: The beach is just the other side of the building.

All our beaches have a different "vibe." Waikiki is for "tourists" who want to laze in the sun or hook-up or learn to surf, etc. Sunset is for serious bogie boarding. It's a dangerous beach due to the surf and no one should go into the water who doesn't know what their getting into. Waimanalo is fairly local with swimming and big-wave surfing when the surf comes from the east. Bellows is family oriented with good swimming. Kailua is a long beach good for walking (plus kite surfing and sail boarding.) Lanikai is where all the calendar pictures are taken. The beach has been eroding for a long time, but the views are stunning and what beach is left is wonderful. There is almost no parking as it's a residential district.

These beaches are just the ones on the southern end of the Island. Heading further north and around the Island, there are many more beaches with all kinds of flavors. Most are nearly deserted. There is an unofficial "nude" beach on the north shore toward Ka'enea point. I've never been as I don't want to see people that look like me!:blush:

Koolau - thanks for bringing back some great memories for me! Seeing the names of all those beaches reminds me of great times of the 3 years I was a military officer stationed there in the late 1980s. I was very partial to Kailua Beach and the North Shore area, especially during the winter months watching the big waves. Such a beautiful state!

We have a condo in SE Florida, just south of Boca Raton, and right on the beach. It was built in 1971, but has been well maintained. The beach technically isn’t private, but only residents of our or neighboring condos or homes use it. We have a great ocean view and overlook a row of mansions. We can see cruise ships coming and going from Ft Lauderdale.
This past January I spent four days in Boca Raton Regional Hospital, and I thought the care was excellent. I also have a Pain Management doctor in Pompano Beach who is excellent.
We haven’t experienced any crime, and the police department in our small town is excellent. But I know Broward County has its share of crime, and Parkland High School is only a few miles away, where a sad multiple shooting took place a few years ago. But we haven’t seen anyplace we’d be afraid to drive around or shop.
Shopping and restaurants are excellent.

Koolau - thanks for bringing back some great memories for me! Seeing the names of all those beaches reminds me of great times of the 3 years I was a military officer stationed there in the late 1980s. I was very partial to Kailua Beach and the North Shore area, especially during the winter months watching the big waves. Such a beautiful state!

Thanks. And do come back to visit. It is all still here waiting for you to reunite with the aina and moana and pua.:flowers:

Long before we went to Hawaii, DW's dad (my FIL) spoke often of the beaches of Oahu. He was sent there during WWII with an injury and was treated at Tripler. During his convalescence, he and his buddies would "escape" to the beaches for some R&R. That got DW excited to go to Hawaii and, of course, I had to go along. The rest is history.

I live about 200 yds from the ocean in a small town in NE Fl that is about 20 minutes from a major city. There is every convenience and necessity I could ever want within a few minutes from home. I have been in the area since 1966 and at the beach since 1973. I have the same experiences as ShokWaveRider.
The downside is my modest 1955 1500 sq ft home which I bought in 1983 is now worth $1.250 million. No way I would buy it at that price but that (and much higher) is what buyers are looking at. Unless the ocean rises I doubt the prices will go down in the future.
If I was to move it would definitely NOT be inland. I don't see the attraction for us.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom