Driving Route Advice: I-77, I-81 vs. I-95

45th Birthday

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm mapping out our annual drive from south to north and we are thinking of taking a route that avoids Washington area traffic. It takes us off I-95 in SC. We would take I-26 for a bit, then pick up I-77 near Columbia, SC. Take that to I-81 in Virginia, then I-81 until just past Harrisburg, PA. Then pick up I-78 until we get into New Jersey.

Does anyone have any experience with this route versus taking I-95? Aside from the issue of traffic around Washington, I-95 isn't our favorite road. But, we don't want to make a worse choice. I'm most interested in the stretches on I-77 and I-81, since those are the longest segments. Factors like road condition, traffic, amount of trucks, major lengthy construction, etc. would be of interest. I'm not really interested in quality of rest stops, scenic views, attractions, etc.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm mapping out our annual drive from south to north and we are thinking of taking a route that avoids Washington area traffic. It takes us off I-95 in SC. We would take I-26 for a bit, then pick up I-77 near Columbia, SC. Take that to I-81 in Virginia, then I-81 until just past Harrisburg, PA. Then pick up I-78 until we get into New Jersey.

Does anyone have any experience with this route versus taking I-95? Aside from the issue of traffic around Washington, I-95 isn't our favorite road. But, we don't want to make a worse choice. I'm most interested in the stretches on I-77 and I-81, since those are the longest segments. Factors like road condition, traffic, amount of trucks, major lengthy construction, etc. would be of interest. I'm not really interested in quality of rest stops, scenic views, attractions, etc.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

We take part of this route on our annual pilgrimage from Ontario down to St. Simons Island, GA and back. Basically it would be the same from your 77&81 junction south (or north depending).

I like it a lot better than using 95. 26 going across SC is only two lanes in each direction but it moves fast. 77 through Charlotte can get congested at rush hour times since Charlotte seems to have a civic mandate that all roads must always be under construction at all times.

Still, Charlotte isn't that big so not a lot of time gets wasted and north of it 77 is a nice easy pleasant drive. Beautiful scenery in that western area of Virginia too.

Having once driven home on 95 thru DC for a "change" and getting stuck in a 2 hour jam, this route is a lot better.

Another possibility would be 95 to I 26 to I 81 and see a bit of the mountains, and then north.

I've driven I-81 the length of VA a lot, and there are A LOT of trucks on it. I think the professional drivers are avoiding I-95 too. So expect to be vary your speed from 70 down to 45 mph when two loaded semis try to race uphill.

Otherwise it will be much better than I-95 if you don't mind a few extra miles. I agree with Koogie, try to time Charlotte to avoid rush hour.

I-81 can have a lot of truck traffic, and because it's hilly, trucks often have to slow down to climb them. This can cause slowdowns for everyone, but it's nothing like going thru DC. It used to be that if one truck was doing 45, another truck would be slowing passing it going 50, really bogging everything down, but there is a law that trucks can't be in the left lane going slower than 65. It's not always followed, but it's better than it was years ago.

It's been years since I've been on I-95 but I can't imagine that's gotten better.

Google maps shows this to be about 1.5 hour longer, if I understand your proposed route. You could easy lose that through DC, but if you drove on the weekend or otherwise miss the large rush hour window it might not be too bad. I know DC can have bad traffic on the weekend too, but chances are better than on a weekday.

Another possibility would be 95 to I 26 to I 81 and see a bit of the mountains, and then north.
Google says that adds yet another 1.5 hours.

The construction north of Charlotte has really screwed thing up (I live a stone's throw from mile marker 23).

If you come through on 77, take I-485 (inner) around Charlotte. That way, you'll stay out of Charlotte and a big chunk of the construction. The construction ends at MM 36.

Safe travels! :)

We do this route as well heading north-south to Florida but coming down to the I-77/I-81 junction from Pittsburgh then taking I-77/I-26/I-95. Definitely take I-485 around Charlotte and try to time it to avoid rush hour. It always seems to be the major choke point on the route now that all the construction in Columbia seems to be done. Don't have any experience on I-81 east of the I-77 junction.

On days when one or more of the colleges along I-81 in Virginia let out, it is a major gridlock. There is a stretch, or used to be, where speed limits were strictly enforced. That section was well marked. If it still is, keep your speed down to avoid a ticket.

I'm familiar with both I-95 and I-81 through the northern half of VA, WV and MD. No question I-81 is better. The others are right about the trucks on I-81, but a two-hour backup is by far the exception (usually if that happens there's a wreck somewhere) and not the rule as it is on I-95. Even if Google maps says I-81 takes more time, I'd still choose I-81.

The construction north of Charlotte has really screwed thing up (I live a stone's throw from mile marker 23).

If you come through on 77, take I-485 (inner) around Charlotte. That way, you'll stay out of Charlotte and a big chunk of the construction. The construction ends at MM 36.

Wish I had known this when we went to Hilton Head in February. Construction on I-77 N of Charlotte was terrible. Added almost two hours to our drive.

The Shenandoah Valley route on I-81 is so much more beautiful than taking I-95. I used to travel the region for work. It is fairly busy but okay to drive.

A few years ago, we rented a Hertz car in Orlando for $7 a day in April if we'd move it north. We took in Disneyworld before stopping at Daytona Beach, Savannah, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I just remember how absolutely boring I-95 was.

A different route that is prettier is always welcome.

The Shenandoah Valley route on I-81 is so much more beautiful than taking I-95. I used to travel the region for work. It is fairly busy but okay to drive.

A few years ago, we rented a Hertz car in Orlando for $7 a day in April if we'd move it north. We took in Disneyworld before stopping at Daytona Beach, Savannah, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I just remember how absolutely boring I-95 was.

A different route that is prettier is always welcome.

I might add that I 26 crosses a pass in the mountains between NC and Tn and the scenery in the Great Valley ( the name of the Shenandoah valley in Tn) is also nice. Plus you miss any big cities After Columbia, as 26 bypasses Spartanburg, and Asheville is not a really big city.

I would just map the route as you are starting out and take the quickest option.

I would avoid the DC traffic unless you plan on cruising through their after midnight and before 5 AM...I hate the Charlotte traffic. You will get stuck, but DC is worse, and your chances of avoiding it are smaller.

A clarification I-485 - inner going north; outer going south. YMMV.

I-81 in VA is the pits but better than 95 IMO. Historically truck traffic is worse going north on Sunday evenings. In case of a crash know that US 11 parallels 81 most of the way.

I might add that I 26 crosses a pass in the mountains between NC and Tn and the scenery in the Great Valley ( the name of the Shenandoah valley in Tn) is also nice. Plus you miss any big cities After Columbia, as 26 bypasses Spartanburg, and Asheville is not a really big city.
Asheville was surprisingly slow on I-26 when I was there last summer. Nothing like Charlotte, but I still saw traffic at nearly a standstill, backed up for over a mile, at least twice.

Thanks for the helpful information. We will be traveling daytime during the week, so no chance to transit Washington at night or on the weekend. The truck issue on I-81 is a concern, but we might give this a try.

Thanks for the helpful information. We will be traveling daytime during the week, so no chance to transit Washington at night or on the weekend. The truck issue on I-81 is a concern, but we might give this a try.
I-81 is probably a better bet in that case. Certainly a more scenic drive, and probably more relaxing.

Scylla and Charybdis

I've done both routes a hundred times. Each entails risk.

Ditto on the high density of trucks on I-81. There is an obscure law that directs "A truck in the left lane may only pass another one at a rate of 0.1 mph faster than the slower truck. This ensures maximum irritation to the automobile traffic."

Another factor to consider on the I77-I81 trail is the weather. Between Fancy Gap in the south and Winchester in the north, the mountain stretches are prone to icing. I've had some exhilarating (aka bladder-voiding) drives on those highways between November and April. If you go in May you'll probably be fine.

I95 is shorter, but it's also America's aorta. Speed limit signs are purely for decoration. If you can transit the DC beltway at night the odds of major backups are lower, but it can be a disaster at any time. There is an all-news radio station, WTOP, which broadcasts traffic updates round the clock. Why? Because they need to! Just because it's 3 am doesn't mean you won't encounter a 2 hour delay.

Be thankful you only make this journey twice a year. Good luck.

I can't comment on the 26 to 77 portion of your trip, but when we came back from Florida in January, we went a bit further up 95 and took 74 to Greensboro and then picked up 220 to Roanoke where we then hit 81. I'm sure it's a bit slower than your proposed route but I wanted to avoid Charlotte and the ride on 220 was pretty mellow and offered some variety versus the interstate.

I agree that 81 isn't the best road but it definitely beats 95...I have NO desire to be on that road after traveling it occasionally form Boston to NJ during my w*rking years.

One question occurs is sight seeing out of the question on the drive? If you don't mind taking more time, you could catch the blue ridge parkway in NC (around Asheville) and drive up it as far as you want. (NO need for an entrance pass till Shenandoah National Park.) It has absolutly no trucks but does have a 50 mph speed limit. But is far more scenic than any freeway. Note that you can at the various exists from the parkway head west to I 81. (for example if you exit the parkway at Waynesboro Va you can get over to i 81 in about 15 mi. )

Since retiring in October 2014, we have made several trips all over the US. There is construction everywhere we go, but have managed to survive. Several drives from PA to FL, and several FL to PA always avoiding Atlanta. Google maps has always been my friend; once leaving we have a route planned, and leave it on the phone for the duration. The "b*tch in the box" will have us rerouted whenever there is a slowdown. We often check Google maps, using our other phone, just to see if there has been any major changes, not reported on the original phone. It has had me exit a ramp, then get me back on the other side of the exit.

The biggest surprise I had was last November when we traveled I-79, WV-19, I-77, 485, I-26, I-95, was the speed. We traveled with the speed of the rest of traffic but we traveled 85-90 mph! We always have to watch going through Summersville WV, it is notorious for speed traps. We did go through Charlotte about 9 o'clock on a Sunday night about 60 mph, but no stops.

I-81 is probably a better bet in that case. Certainly a more scenic drive, and probably more relaxing.

Better yes. In my experience, not very relaxing. So many trucks, and hills, I seldom dare to take my eyes off of the traffic long enough to glimpse at the scenery.

Back
Top Bottom