Ark-Atlanta-Charleston trip...ideas?

steady saver

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I are taking a somewhat spontaneous driving trip. We have a window of up to 2 weeks and decided to drive up to Arkansas (Russellville - family memories) and then we will head to Atlanta. Trying to decide whether to go via eastern Tenn. and through Chattanooga or down through Alabama and Mississippi through Birmingham. Then on to Charleston. We would LOVE to hear any suggestions, favorite places to stop, to eat, visit, etc. on either route. Not late night people. Like gardens/gardening, interesting farms, great bookstores, scenic places to walk, interesting architecture, good food, good coffee and tea, some shopping. Also any favorite places to stay.

Thanks for any ideas you might be able to share!

If by chance you go through Nashville, Knoxville or Chattanooga and you like bookstores, McKays is a large used bookstore with a lot of people visiting it. They carry books, DVDs, CDs, LPs and some video games. If you have old ones to sell, they will research the values and give you cash or a higher value credit. The credit is nice, because no sales tax applies when you use the credit to buy something. The photos on the trip advisor page link for the Chattanooga store below will show you it isn't a tiny hole in the wall bookstore.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...47-Reviews-MaKAY_s-Chattanooga_Tennessee.html

update: I forgot to say the Chattanooga store is within sight of I-75.

I suggest Middle and East TN, Western NC and even the Northeast Georgia mountains. They all have great sites to see--much more interesting than South Carolina. Charleston's nice, but it's 300 miles out of the way.

Just ramble without any plans.

We keep a camper in Helen, GA, and have a bunch of half day excursions thru the mountains and waterfalls.

If you are going as far as Russellville, I suggest going on to Bentonville to see Crystal Bridges museum of American art. Fabulous architecture and grounds and superbly curated collection. DH and I are headed that way shortly for our 3rd visit, that's how much we enjoy it.

I have made the trip from "out west" to Atlanta many, MANY times. For ease of commute, I would recommend (from Arkansas) going I-40 to Memphis then I-22 down to Birmingham and across to ATL. I-40 through Tennessee is quite pretty, but the traffic can be miserable. Lots of places to visit...I wouldn't know where to start to list 'em all.

Blanchard Springs is a beautiful part of the state. Trout fishing is the best & hiking a plenty. Streams and rivers are some of the cleanest I've seen. Canoeing the Spring river is fun too, just north of Hardy.

Blanchard Springs Caverns is a cool place too.

If by chance you go through Nashville, Knoxville or Chattanooga and you like bookstores, McKays is a large used bookstore with a lot of people visiting it. They carry books, DVDs, CDs, LPs and some video games. If you have old ones to sell, they will research the values and give you cash or a higher value credit. The credit is nice, because no sales tax applies when you use the credit to buy something. The photos on the trip advisor page link for the Chattanooga store below will show you it isn't a tiny hole in the wall bookstore.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...47-Reviews-MaKAY_s-Chattanooga_Tennessee.html

update: I forgot to say the Chattanooga store is within sight of I-75.

oh wow, I checked the link and you aren't kidding - that store is huge. Thanks so much for the tip; we'll definitely plan on checking it out!!

We love the mountains and hiking, so would suggest heading towards Asheville NC
https://www.ncarboretum.org/ is awesome... The Biltmore is a tourist trap but lots go there.

It's possible that we "may" head that way as we're keeping an eye on the storm in the Gulf and may stick around N.Carolina and check out Charleston another time.

Thanks for the ideas!

Blanchard Springs is a beautiful part of the state. Trout fishing is the best & hiking a plenty. Streams and rivers are some of the cleanest I've seen. Canoeing the Spring river is fun too, just north of Hardy.

Blanchard Springs Caverns is a cool place too.

Gosh, that looks beautiful, thanks for the heads up on that one. Even if we don't make it this time, that's definitely a place to plan to go to. I love Arkansas - such a beautiful state - but then again I'm biased as I was born in Fort Smith. I just haven't spent a whole lot of time exploring the whole state as we moved away when I was very young.

I have made the trip from "out west" to Atlanta many, MANY times. For ease of commute, I would recommend (from Arkansas) going I-40 to Memphis then I-22 down to Birmingham and across to ATL. I-40 through Tennessee is quite pretty, but the traffic can be miserable. Lots of places to visit...I wouldn't know where to start to list 'em all.

That's good info to know; thank you. It seems our route keeps changing as we find new places to try out and are also keeping our eye on the weather action brewing in the Gulf.

Thanks for the highway/traffic warning. These are things you don't know if you've not been that way before.

If you are going as far as Russellville, I suggest going on to Bentonville to see Crystal Bridges museum of American art. Fabulous architecture and grounds and superbly curated collection. DH and I are headed that way shortly for our 3rd visit, that's how much we enjoy it.

You know, I think we're finally going to do that. I understand the gardens and grounds are beautiful...

Thank you!

I suggest Middle and East TN, Western NC and even the Northeast Georgia mountains. They all have great sites to see--much more interesting than South Carolina. Charleston's nice, but it's 300 miles out of the way.

Just ramble without any plans.

We keep a camper in Helen, GA, and have a bunch of half day excursions thru the mountains and waterfalls.

Bamaman, that might be just what we end up doing - rambling. Neither DH nor I enjoy planning which is probably why we don't travel a whole lot...But having some touchpoints helps to structure the trip just a bit and we need that too :)

It's possible that Charleston ends up being another trip, depending on the weather...

Gosh, that looks beautiful, thanks for the heads up on that one. Even if we don't make it this time, that's definitely a place to plan to go to. I love Arkansas - such a beautiful state - but then again I'm biased as I was born in Fort Smith. I just haven't spent a whole lot of time exploring the whole state as we moved away when I was very young.

Yeah, I grew up camping there every year and now DW's favorite places. Been going there for 45 years now. Wish I could go more often. I'd consider retirement up there eventually.

Yeah, I grew up camping there every year and now DW's favorite places. Been going there for 45 years now. Wish I could go more often. I'd consider retirement up there eventually.

Surewhitey, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any recommendations on places to stay there or do you always camp? I did note some places in nearby Mountain View and plan to look again in the morning online but thought I'd check with you first. We do think we'll make that stop.

Thanks!

Surewhitey, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any recommendations on places to stay there or do you always camp? I did note some places in nearby Mountain View and plan to look again in the morning online but thought I'd check with you first. We do think we'll make that stop.

Thanks!

So a couple of places we've stopped at / stayed overnight. Jack's White River Fishing Resort (near Allison) has very basic rooms on the White River and the restaurant next to makes a mean catfish dinner.

We stayed in Mt View at a cabin (DW found them on AB&B. Don't remember the name but just west of town and maybe 5-6 on the property). The downtown square is usually lively on the weekend, unless it's winter. There's a "museum" Ozark Folk Center State Park that was interesting to visit. If there is a hootenanny in the square, it's free and interesting too. Local music is usually in a few areas (non-amplified). These are usually weekends.

We usually rough it in Blanchard and there are some day use spots to relax in (take chairs). Don't miss the short walk to the springs. If you are into Caverns, the ones there are memorable.

We drove to Calico and the bluffs are nice. Didn't stay there though.

We continued to Norfork and had an amazing sandwich @ Heidi's Ugly Cakes and Sandwich Shop. If you pass it, stop in & it's surprisingly tasty.

Last edited:
Go diamond hunting at Crater of Diamonds state park Murfreesboro, Arkansas. Maybe you’ll come back and tell us you found the big one! If going through Memphis the Rock and Soul Museum is worth the visit. Have fun on your road trip.

Back
Top Bottom