Dual citizen: Is it better to retire in Canada or the US

Of course Alan the biggest reason to go to N. Yorks is easy access to warm Petches pork pies and big squares of black pudding!

Yes indeed. The challenge will be to keep the weight off. I put on 8lbs during that 7 month stay in 2011 :nonono:

I'm a dual canadian-us citizen (living in silicon valley right now) but I haven't lived in canada for some time now.

I think that the passage of the ACA minimizes the biggest reason to live in Canada (healthcare). Yes healthcare will still be more expensive in the US but with the subsidy's for those earning under 60k I think the difference is not so great.

With regards to wait times, I haven't looked at any stats but I was astounded by how fast I was seen in the ER (the one time I had to go in the US). Also my cousin has complained bitterly about getting care for her dad in canada. But these are anecdotes.

The cold is no joke, but as an canadian he/she should know that. Even a mild city like toronto will get colder than -10c. Ottawa will regularly get to -30 and Edmonton I've heard described as "like siberia".

I'm a dual canadian-us citizen (living in silicon valley right now) but I haven't lived in canada for some time now.

I think that the passage of the ACA minimizes the biggest reason to live in Canada (healthcare). Yes healthcare will still be more expensive in the US but with the subsidy's for those earning under 60k I think the difference is not so great.

With regards to wait times, I haven't looked at any stats but I was astounded by how fast I was seen in the ER (the one time I had to go in the US). Also my cousin has complained bitterly about getting care for her dad in canada. But these are anecdotes.

The cold is no joke, but as an canadian he/she should know that. Even a mild city like toronto will get colder than -10c. Ottawa will regularly get to -30 and Edmonton I've heard described as "like siberia".

Almost everyone in Canada lives on the southern border. My Canadian co workers called it the "best of the worst.":LOL:

DH is American but now has his Canadian citizenship as well. We have no plans to return to the U.S. after we retire either.

The decision for us is quite simple: we have two young children and University is cheaper in Canada, not to mention healthcare and there are JOBS JOBS JOBS (at least in Calgary).

For those of you who think Canada is colder than Alaska, some parts are, but Calgary has the highest number of sunny days of any major city in Canada and we are 30 minutes from the Rocky Mountains :). I'm sure my MIL who lives in Boston would rather be in Calgary today where the sun is shining :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom