Early Retirement Forum Cookbook is Ready!

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, it's done! Here it is:

The Official Early Retirement Forum Cookbook

Let me know if there are any major problems that should be corrected. I left in most minor typos to keep the flavor of the forum.

I'm going to print mine out and have it spiral bound.

Thanks for all the great recipes.

Enjoy!

Al, just when I thought you couldn't outdo yourself, you done did it!
img_474299_0_8348b966afe2e095cca724cc26742c22.gif

Wow! That makes me wish I were ER-ed so I could do things like that.

Much thanks and envy to you TromboneAl...

Oh christ, I saw all the typos and figured "aint no way Als going to leave those in..."

Two special missing apostrophes for ya up above, big Al...

I'm printing it right now...

Okay...so far the first breakfast frittata recipe had a spaghetti alla carbonara stuck on the front of it which is missing and the dialog trailed into the frittata recipe. This just starts with the frittata sort of in mid-stream of consciousness. But maybe you intended for me to sound like I just start talking mid sentence? ;)

Page 32 wholly consists of a malformed thought about the quality of PF Changs...

I see, the pasta carbonara made it in as an entree later on...

The chicken tagine recipe had the preserved lemon recipe following and in the ingredients section says "see below", but the lemon recipe has been moved above the tagine recipe.

The dog in the dishwasher is hilarious. I first saw that salmon/dishwasher recipe on Jamie Olivers first episode of "the naked chef".

:LOL: Harry Pothead :LOL:

I was only beaten out by "onion" for most references in the index :)

Nice job, some of the general tips are great, I think I'm going to try my hand at the sink cutting board, we need the counterspace. And the hanging pots too!

Awesome Al.

I think we should all make photos of our dishes to be incorporated in the first revision. Then Al can port it over to one of those online sites that allow you to print out bound, high gloss, coffee table books.

T-Al that is awesome!

Thanks for adding the accent marks to the word "saute/sauteed" that I over-used in my recipe!

Maybe it should have been Hairy Pothead! :LOL:

Love the cookbook but really like the little stories that accompany the recipes. Two thumbs up Al.

Hairy Pothead!

I considered that, but maybe someone would think that that's how I'm describing Martha! ;)

Nice job of hiding her name and going for the opposite sex, just to really fool The Man.

After all, Leonidas isnt officially retired yet. He might just be overtly gathering information about all of us.

That'd explain why his big undisclosed story involves nudity.

Excellent, excellent job................thank you very much!! :D :D

In a former life, many years ago, I was a chef in a French restaurant............... :p

Awesome job. Loved it. Especially liked the cat with his porridge, sort of reminds me of my own. If this is a work in progress, one additional request is to have a last page be something that would look good as the back cover, to match the front page - maybe an outhouse with wheels and a stove, or something. That would let us send the book to the print shop and have it be perfectly ready for binding.
Really liked the receipes though, and plan to incorporate some this weekend.

That's excellent. A lot better then I expected. I don't cook myself, but I'm going to make a copy for my DW.

Thanks

Trombone Al:

Thank you! You did an excellent job of putting together all these delicious-sounding recipes in a very effective and entertaining format. It turned out great! I can see that a lot of effort, thoughtfulness, and planning were involved.

I am also going to have every page printed up. Where would you go to get them spiral bound? Will Kinko's do it? I think I will make a few copies for my friends, too. (I wouldn't be committing any copyright infringements, would I? ;) )

I appreciated those special tips near the beginning of the book. And that "over-the-sink" cutting board is a really good idea.

Also, many thanks to all those who contributed the recipes - especially Cute Fuzzy Bunny. I think CFB must've been a famous chef in a prior life. Some people are lucky and seem to have a natural knack in the kitchen. (Unfortunately, I am not one of them but have been trying very hard to improve my cooking, especially now that I am retired.) For Christmas, one of my friends gave me a beautiful, top-of-the-line Henckels Santoku hollow-edge knife (the kind with dimples along the edge of the blade). It is very sharp and cuts beautifully, so that should make food prep a little easier.

The pictures/illustrations/characters preceding each of the food "categories" made me smile and laugh! The dog in the dishwasher was really cute. And those 2 "roots" pictured at the front of the vegetarian chapter made me chuckle. :eek: :D Same with the "bikini'd" chicken for the poultry section. And the cat in the "stews" section reminded me of my dearly beloved kitty. I also liked that character on page 1 - the guy sitting at his computer with the bag of chips and soda at his feet. That probably is exactly what a lot of us "look like" as we participate on the ER forum!

Thanks again to all who were involved in the production of this masterpiece!

Sincerely, Toejam

tromboneal, that was just excellent.

starry night. omlette in a zip lock bag:confused: i can't stop laughing. if you were gay we'd be asking for your membership card back.

Thanks for all the great comments, guys.

I printed mine out, and it's thicker that I expected. You might want to double-side it -- print the odd pages then put them back in the printer and print the even pages. You might want to do a few at a time in case your printer has a misfeed.

Yes, places like Kinko's will bind things with a plastic comb or spiral. I currently have mine in a loose-leaf binder.

Enjoyed your cabbage soup two nights ago, lazygood4nothin! And we have six servings in the freezer for later.

Wow, Al! and everybody else who contributed, especially CFB. Where do you guys find all the time? What are you retired or something? Sheesh.

CFB - I'm trying the eggs benedict soon. That looks like master chef stuff, and I won't tell anybody where I learned how to do it.... just sort of make it look like i've always known this stuff. good valentine's day idea actually...

and speaking of eggs, once I realized that the omelettes in a bag weren't microwaved, it suddenly seems like it might actually taste pretty good. Gonna try that, too.

Bob...fair warning on the eggs benedict...my wife wont go out for them anymore and insists I make them once a week or so...

Back
Top Bottom