Elder care costs, insurance, etc.

bright eyed....

I'm pleased there is some sensibility in the system of safety nets there and that your MIL is being helped!

Im curious though..... Are they taking your FIL's SS and allowing MIL to keep only her disability? Or is she getting to keep both, the combined $1900/mo?

I follow along on this sort of thing because we have a family situation which will likely evolve similarly.

Yes, she's allowed to keep up to $2500 for 2007 and 2008 is slightly higher...so she's below that limit - she keeps both incomes - part of the rational is that all of FIL's needs are covered by the nursing home.

I would definitely triple check everything they tell you - it was no small feat getting the right info and figuring out what to do.

Plus the daily calls, getting put on hold, having calls dropped - was not fun at all! But I was very patient and did not take it out on the people i was talking to - and they were all very patient too (considering they are so obviously understaffed)...

Also, the social worker didn't know the policy as well as i did and so i told him what i knew, he double checked and fixed it. so that's why i say, check check check again! i can't imagine how many people's cases get screwed up because of errors!

Youbet - some of this is CA policy, some is federal - i think the catastrophic coverage law is federal so i think the amounts above apply to everyone (but of course, i'd check that if you are not in CA)...so all of this plays into how much medi-cal is willing to cover them.

but most states' the insurance program works in a similar way - where medicare is the primary coverage and the state coverage helps fill in the gaps.

the oddest part is - now that he is in nursing care - their coverage is all "covered" - but before they had that insane share of cost that would have put them in negative. now they both have full medi-cal - so there are some weird inconsistancies in the policy.

on the other front, FIL is still not cooperating in any consistant way and i can hear the frustration in the staff's voices. at least this alleviates some stress for MIL and we can all focus on his mental state....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom