Ladder Injuries

What a topic ~ these stories are incredible and I'm struck by how each of you/us have ladder tales... often deadly :(

It made me think of a few of my friends over the years who have had similar situations ... Friend #1 cleaning leaves from gutters fell & broke his hip, Friend #2 climbing makeshift ladder to get coconut out of tree and fell on her pruning shears with a gash in her leg needing stitches; Friend #3 with the deadly combo of chainsaw and ladder in tree fell and sawed open his thigh (barely survived that one).

Now, here I sit in on our sailboat/home in a marina, having just been put back in the water after being on the "hard" doing boatwork. We had to live onboard the boat on land for a few weeks (usually we avoid it by renting apartment).

We need to use a ladder to get on and off the boat on land. In the photos, you can see the wooden ladder on our back stern to the right. There are also neighbor's ladders back there, plus scaffolding and boat blocking visible, a typical boatyard scene. Pleasantly surprised I haven't seen more boatyard incidents.

I was so cautious getting on and off the boat. Felt pretty ancient going so slow, but as sailors we know how much one mistake or slip can be deadly serious. I have yet to go up the 64' mast on a halyard, but that's also a necessary part of sailboat maintenance and my husband does that (doesn't like it).

Thank you for the boatyard picture and stories. I have many fond memories of that.
I think you won't hear as many ladder stories from there, because just the practice of boating requires "sea legs".
Just walking down a floating finger pier freaks a lot of landlubbers out. It is an acquired taste/skill to head off on a wobbly platform with an armful of gear.

Was just about to say this - sailing is in and of itself, an exercise in agility. Sanding/painting the bottom (photo), now THAT is a labor of love.

Here is a ladder modification I did a few years ago. Put a 1/2 piece of plywood on the base of the ladder to prevent on the legs from sinking in soft soil. I used wing nuts so that I could easily remove it but it works so well I never take it off. There are also a screw on each side so that when I use this on my deck I can screw the plywood into the deck for even better stability

Actually, plywood can easily slip on grass. In fact, I don't even trust it on a deck. On a deck I screw a length of 2x4 to the deck right behind the ladder so it can't slip. I use long screws between the deck boards to not to damage the surface.

Many ladders have rubber feet that can be flipped 90 degrees so that they dig into the ground which is much safer:

Ladder-feet-3-1385777582.jpg

Actually, plywood can easily slip on grass. In fact, I don't even trust it on a deck. On a deck I screw a length of 2x4 to the deck right behind the ladder so it can't slip. I use long screws between the deck boards to not to damage the surface.

Many ladders have rubber feet that can be flipped 90 degrees so that they dig into the ground which is much safer:

View attachment 48655

Great idea. I have a 14" half an extension ladder with feet like that. And a Werner stepladder that expands, turns into an extension ladder, or scaffold with your added boards. That is handy but has gained wight since I got it 13-14 years ago. The ladder dolly looks handy. I may have to get one.

I have this same fiberglass platform ladder. It is safe but heavy.

Has anyone has tried the Ladder Mover adapter that converts a non-folding hand truck into a ladder dolly? If so, how was your experience with it?

Thanks!
I don't want to pick on you or your suggestion but IMO, if a ladder is too heavy to set up without assistance, perhaps the person using the ladder lacks the required physical strength to use it safely?

The ladder in the picture is a step ladder so all the weight is downward , no slippage on grass.
For my 28' extension ladder I go one better I take a 2 foot long crow bar and pound it into the ground with the crow bar hook over the bottom rung. If I use it on the deck I'll use the 2x4 method you use to keep it from sliding.

I have this same fiberglass platform ladder. It is safe but heavy.

Has anyone has tried the ... adapter that converts a non-folding hand truck into a ladder dolly? If so, how was your experience with it?

Interesting ladder hand truck adapter.

I used 2 of those hand trucks to move ~12 diameter 20 foot long tree trunks down a forest path.
One at the back with the handle tied to the trunk and the other at my end used in a conventional way on the end of trunk to lift it up. Both had a rope to tie the hand truck to the log.
It made it easy as pie.

It would be easy to make a similar device out of a piece of 2x4 and some 2x2.

Back
Top Bottom