Join Early Retirement Today

Electric pressure washer
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Electric pressure washer

Brandsmart has an electric pressure washer on sale this week for $79.00 It's an "All Power" 1600 pressure washer. Worthwhile? A waste? I don't have a clue, but would like to get an electric pressure washer to wash the cars, and minimal other occasional use. Thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My experience is small pressure washers are underpowered and short-lived. I think it is more cost effective to wash your car the old fashioned way (run it through the car wash ) and rent a powerful pressure washer when you have the need for one.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

buy something name-brand from a store with a good return policy. I have a Black & Decker that has lasted a long time and works well. I also bought a no-name machine from Lowe's and it lasted about a month. Good thing I kept the receipt.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
gone traveling

I purchased an "$89 special" five years ago from a local home center, with the primary use of cleaning my lawn tractor deck (a lot of grass build-up every use) along with cleaning the back wood deck 1-2 times a year.

Can't argue with the "value received" for what I paid for it.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had a Karcher electric for about 12 years, though I only drag it out every few years. It is not adequate to wash a car - nothing like a coin auto wash. It is OK for light siding and deck cleaning. You might be better off renting a gas powered one when you need one as they are more powerful and you don't own the maintenance and repair.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I bought an $89 one from Walmart several years ago to wash off vinyl siding once a year. Did a good job. Used it for 3-4 years before moving into this house. Haven't touched it in the 6 years I have been here as it's just as easy to wash down the wood trim with a brush and regular water hose. But I was pleased with the pressure washer during the few years I used it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I own an electric Task Force pressure washer which I bought a couple of years ago. I use it extensively to pressure wash cars, driveway, decks, concrete pathways, sidings, windows, etc... It is not super powerful, but it does the job. It is pretty quiet, especially compared to the gas-powered pressure washer my neighbor uses (almost every week-end) to wash his boat. I paid around $100 for it IIRC.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I want to do some pressure washing on sidewalks and paved surfaces. I've been told only the really high powered ones will be effective. Can an electric do the job? Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rent a gas-powered one, the small electric ones really aren't powerful enough to the job. The small ones may have the pressure to clean OK but the volume of water is so small it will take hours to clean a driveway.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #10

I bought a Husky a few years ago at HD. I've had a few problems with it and have had to replace a few items. It does do a decent job for the money.

This past Sat I purchased a Gas unit at Northern Tool. I did a lot of research and this seems like a good unit. I wanted a Honda motor, with a 50ft hose and make sure you get a CAT pump. Be careful with the Honda motor as some of them are knock offs from China. $749. The Husky electric is under a 100 bucks so you can buy a lot of them for $749.

I've done my side walks and other cleaning jobs and the electric did a good job but you need to be retired as it's real slow. The Gas one I got the other day made short work of the same task.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #11

Are there any safety issues w/ using an electric pressure washer ?
I guess it must be ok if they're sold but somehow it bothers my old intuition about mixing water and electricity? I imagine some of these things must be made in China these days and , although I'm sure they will take over the world someday, with stories of lead, etc. in food/toys, I'm not so sure about today.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Are there any safety issues w/ using an electric pressure washer ?
I guess it must be ok if they're sold but somehow it bothers my old intuition about mixing water and electricity? I imagine some of these things must be made in China these days and , although I'm sure they will take over the world someday, with stories of lead, etc. in food/toys, I'm not so sure about today.
I always use mine with a GFI. I have a portable one that plugs into any outlet. Other danger is, of course, puncture if you spray your skin with high pressure water.

Like this: Amazon.com: TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection: Home…
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I always use mine with a GFI. I have a portable one that plugs into any outlet. Other danger is, of course, puncture if you spray your skin with high pressure water.
I would think that most units (as mine does) has a GFI on the plug (which I also plug into an outdoor GFI plug - sort of "double bagging" ).

And yes, I did spray my thumb one time (while holding something to be cleaned). It did give me a "groove" (e.g. broken skin, but no blood).

Even the "cheap units" are more powerful (on concentrated spray) than you could imagine...
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Like this: Amazon.com: TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection: Home…
travelover......thanks, I like this idea. This was a good test of my "find anything" spreadsheet but I did find one of the 2 portable ones that I remember having in the distant past.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

DH bought an $85 one at home depot. He used it for light jobs for about 2 years and then it was done. We've moved since then, and he needed a better one for much bigger jobs. His is gas-powered, Craftsman, cost about $500 with warranty. He loves it and our place has never been cleaner! (I like it for removing weeds between cracks in the driveway and sidewalks.)