Electric shaver

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Beginning 1/1/14 I was looking forward to ditching the Gilette Mach 3 expense and just using my older Braun shaver. Love not having to use the foam and blade, but am a little disappointed in the 'hit and miss' of the Braun. I bought a new blade and foil for the shaver so it's not the problem. No matter what, I can't get a close shave in some areas of my ugly kisser.. generally my neck. It's an 'ok' shave, but not how I'd shave for a nice night out with DW.

Is it technique? Lack of using some kind of beard prep? I'm clueless..

Two things I do to make up for my electric shaver shortcomings 1) That 'lectric shave' stuff actually works for me to get a better electric shave 2) once a week I do a razor shave to tidy up some spots near my beard.

For me, the only way to get a close shave when using an electric razor is to use a blade right after. If I just used an electric razor I would need to shave again by lunchtime.

I only use a blade now with a high quality shave cream (Zirh or Jack Black)

I think that electric shaver have a much shorter life than what we (I) think they should have.

After several years without one I was given one for Christmas and think it is wonderful. It is a Philips Norelco, it was a two pack from Costco with a triple head and a double head travel shaver...funny I guess they think the triple head is to bulky to pack..??.

Have to report back in about two years.

In my experience the closeness dimishes disappointingly rapidly with the age of an electric. Their blades get dull in less than a year's use. For some models you can buy just a new cutting head, which can dramatically improve the results.

It also helps to have it fully charged up. Same with beard trimmers.

Makes a big difference in my experience.

I agree with all points here. I shave daily with a fairly high end Panasonic electric, but need to touch up once a week with a real razor. Also, my electric is going on 3 years old and it doesn't perform like it used to. Neither do I though.

I bought an old Norelco from Service Merchandise ( remember that place?) about 25 years ago and the blades (never been replaced) still give me a close enough shave. Surely, the shave is not a close as a blade, but I like not having to lather up each time.

On that shaver, the NiCad Batteries don't hold a charge anymore so I just use it as a corded one.

Back then, the shave was a fancy one (about $130) with a charge guage and the ability to just rinse blades and shavings under a faucet.

Now something similar can be had for a much lower price. Or I've been thinking of getting a cheap travel one that runs on batteries.

For me, the only way to get a close shave when using an electric razor is to use a blade right after. If I just used an electric razor I would need to shave again by lunchtime.

I only use a blade now with a high quality shave cream (Zirh or Jack Black)
This is what I do-if it really matters, I go first with a Norelco, then follow up with a blade.
In my experience the closeness dimishes disappointingly rapidly with the age of an electric. Their blades get dull in less than a year's use. For some models you can buy just a new cutting head, which can dramatically improve the results.
I second this. New cutting heads make the razor new.

IMO, if you have a Van Dyke or similar beard, buying one of the electric trimmers will help to make you look sharper. I had breakfast with one of my sons a few weeks ago and I immediately noticed his much improved beard edges. This is hard to do with either a regular electric shaver, or one of the modern multi-blade safety razors.

Ha

Last edited:
Every so often I go back to an electric shaver for the convenience. Unfortunately, continued use of electric shavers tends to give me "razor bumps" (ingrown hairs, which can get infected). I don't know if this is ever a problem with facial hair, but it sure is with leg hair. At least, for a true brunette.

Amethyst

I use a $30 Remington from the Stone Age. Does an okay job, better when fully charged, but I have to touch up with a razor a couple of times per week.

REMINGTON-DA-307-MICROSCREEN-TRAS-MAKINASI__58246932_0.jpg

I've tried electric razors but was just never satisfied with the shave quality. The blade shave gets me through the day looking pretty good, and it takes less time than an electric razor (less back and forth needed to get every whisker). I wipe the blade down when I'm done and get about a month out of each disposable (Mach 3), so about $10-$15 per year in blades. Seems reasonable.
Admission: To save time/hassle, I shave while I'm showering in the morning. I know it wastes some hot water, but it's not much.

I bought an old Norelco from Service Merchandise ( remember that place?) about 25 years ago and the blades (never been replaced) still give me a close enough shave. Surely, the shave is not a close as a blade, but I like not having to lather up each time.

On that shaver, the NiCad Batteries don't hold a charge anymore so I just use it as a corded one.

Back then, the shave was a fancy one (about $130) with a charge guage and the ability to just rinse blades and shavings under a faucet.

Now something similar can be had for a much lower price. Or I've been thinking of getting a cheap travel one that runs on batteries.
I've had two corded electrics and never used a blade. The first was the Norelco with self-sharpening blades (1980), and the second is a Remington of the same design (three circular floating heads - 2005). You can get a closer shave with a blade, but it's only "a couple of hours" closer, hehe!

I had to work on the Norelco quite a few times to keep it working for 25 years! I did use a battery Norelco with floating heads for 6 months, but the blades were not self sharpening, and they wanted a fortune for a new set! I could buy 2 Remingtons at the time for what they wanted for one set of blades.

I've had two corded electrics and never used a blade. The first was the Norelco with self-sharpening blades (1980), and the second is a Remington of the same design (three circular floating heads - 2005). You can get a closer shave with a blade, but it's only "a couple of hours" closer, hehe!

I had to work on the Norelco quite a few times to keep it working for 25 years! I did use a battery Norelco with floating heads for 6 months, but the blades were not self sharpening, and they wanted a fortune for a new set! I could buy 2 Remingtons at the time for what they wanted for one set of blades.

The old Norelco I have is self-sharpening, with 3 floating heads.

Here's the model I got (as you can see, the reviews are from awhile ago):

http://www.amazon.com/Norelco-6865X...B64/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

It's sure it's a matter of preference, but I like the floating heads more than the floating foil type like Braun.

I've been tempted to look at a Norelco travel one:

Amazon.com: Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Travel Electric Razor: Health & Personal Care

Or another 3 head one:

Amazon.com: Philips Norelco PT724/41 Philips Powertouch Electic Razor: Health & Personal Care

But my old one still works like, well..an old reliable razor :)

Last edited:
I use a Braun razor with the cleaning/re-charging station. It does a very good job and is always clean. I think the daily cleaning goes along way towards improving the shave. The only other razor I have is an ancient double edge blade Gillette.

OP here... out of curiosity I dropped by Walgreens this afternoon a got a bottle of 'Lectric Shave (6.99).. it seems to actually work well...shaver easily got the patches I missed this morning.. will test it over next few days.. thanks everyone for the feedback..

The old Norelco I have is self-sharpening, with 3 floating heads.
I'm confused by the electric razors being sold with "self-sharpening blades" and then if you dig a little, you find that the replacement heads are to be purchased every 6 months :facepalm:. When I say "self-sharpening", that should mean a heck of a lot longer than 6 months! I'm talking a decade or two!

I'm confused by the electric razors being sold with "self-sharpening blades" and then if you dig a little, you find that the replacement heads are to be purchased every 6 months :facepalm:. When I say "self-sharpening", that should mean a heck of a lot longer than 6 months! I'm talking a decade or two!

To be honest, I've never really looked into the term that much. I just assumed that the self-sharpening should last longer than "regular" but I've never needed to change the blades of that razor. I'm definitely not super hairy but do need a shave every day.

Back
Top Bottom