Why Upgrade Razors?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just ran out of blades for my Gillette Mach 3 razor, and before ordering I stopped to look at the history - I've been using the Mach 3 for 24 years! Gillette and others have introduced several new models since, but they're all more expensive (blades) and I doubt they actually shave any better (is 5 blades really better than 3?), so I ordered another 20 replacement blades. I usually welcome change, but not in all things I guess... :blush:

I am sure there will be some here who have been using the double edge safety razor blades all along - they were introduced in 1880! That is what my Dad bought me to [-]cut[/-] nick my face with as a young teen... :LOL:

I just ran out of blades for my Gillette Mach 3 razor, and before ordering I stopped to look at the history - I've been using the Mach 3 for 24 years! Gillette and others have introduced several new models since, but they're all more expensive (blades) and I doubt they actually shave any better (is 5 blades really better than 3?), so I ordered another 20 replacement blades. I usually welcome change, but not in all things I guess... :blush:

I am sure there will be some here who have been using the double edge safety razor since double edged blades, they were introduced in 1880! That is what my Dad bought me to [-]cut[/-] nick my face with as a young teen... :LOL:

All I can say to this is, my five blades work just fine. :LOL:

I use the 5-blade Fusion but fully realize that it is mainly gimmick. I have no real need for an ultra close shave anymore and a single blade lasts months. Usually only shave 2-3 times a week. Get blades when on sale at Costco but has been quite awhile.

I use the 5-blade Fusion but fully realize that it is mainly gimmick. I have no real need for an ultra close shave anymore and a single blade lasts months. Usually only shave 2-3 times a week. Get blades when on sale at Costco but has been quite awhile.
Yeah, I just ordered a 20 pack from Costco (BIG discount), they'll probably last me about 3-5 years?

Not that one opinion is gospel but...

Which Razor Should You Choose?

Mach 3 seems to outperform the Gillette Fusion Proglide (5 blade) in every respect, except the closeness of the shave. This model is a little cheaper; moreover, it will not irritate your pores and skin.

Unless you have wiry and tough facial hair, it will be better if you choose Mach 3.

On the other hand, the Gillette Proglide also has its own advantages.

For example, it is packed with Flexiball technology to provide better control. Furthermore, its precision trimmer allows you to shave tricky areas with ease.

Fusion ProGlide also comes with thinner blades than standard Fusion models; Although this eliminates the clogging issues, narrower gaps still exist.
https://www.leesrazors.com/gillette... reasons: Offer the shaving faster and easier.

Many years ago I bought a Cosco pack of disposable razors (Schick) that have three blades and a lubrication strip (worthless). My facial hair is not very thick and I shave every day so I don't replace blades/razers often. In fact, I started changing out my blade when my can of shaving cream runs out just so I could make sure I'm refreshing my blades at a reasonable interval. I'm down to my last few razors so by next year, I'll probably have to get something.

I've tried the Harry's razors (five blades, six if you count the trim blade) and I can't say they do anything the cheap disposable razors I have do. I'm pretty sure that I'll get something similar to the Schick razors that I have. Something middle of the road in price and two to three blades. I like the disposable razors because I get a new handle with each blade. Plus, I can throw one in my travel bag and not have to mess with an extra handle or blades.

I think they've made shaving a bit more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, come on - five plus blades? Stick with what works at the best price you can get.

When I am forced/want to shave I use a combination of the 1880 era safety razor (Merkur with Feather blades) and some Harry's razors that I have a stock of.

Proraso Azur Lime as the shaving cream of choice.

I've used a Norelco 3-head electric razor forever. My dad used the same. I probably replace it every 10 years or so.

Every now and then, for a super special occasion, I may shave with a 2/3/5-blade razor, whatever we happen to have in the house. The blade does give a closer shave than the electric, but the electric is fast, easy, and safe and does a perfectly good job.

I've used a Norelco 3-head electric razor forever. My dad used the same. I probably replace it every 10 years or so.

Every now and then, for a super special occasion, I may shave with a 2/3/5-blade razor, whatever we happen to have in the house. The blade does give a closer shave than the electric, but the electric is fast, easy, and safe and does a perfectly good job.
Maybe Norelco's are better but I have a Braun self-cleaning shaver I used to use when running late (before work), but it always tore up the skin on my face worse than any blade razor. So I haven't used it once since I retired...

Maybe Norelco's are better but I have a Braun self-cleaning shaver I used to use when running late (before work), but it always tore up the skin on my face worse than any blade razor. So I haven't used it once since I retired...

When I had a Braun I had the same problem... and it was LOUD...

I used to use a Norelco and would have problems getting some of the neck hairs and I would get irritation sometimes when I tried harder to get them cut...

NOW.... I just use a small clipper to cut me down to a day old stubble look... maybe every 3 to 5 days... I do not need to be clean shaven... at least not often.

Last edited:
I use the cheap disposable razors to the point they rust so badly I'm afraid of getting tetanus. Agree with the Jerry1 the lube strip is worthless.

I'm still working on a couple of bags of Shick dispo razors and also a bag or two of Bic dispo razors. I bought these on sale before I FIRE'd. IIRC I have about a dime in each razor. One such razor lasts for 2 or 3 months as I only shave once or twice a week now. IF DW grabs one of my razors, she can ruin it pretty quickly. Other than that, I'd have a life-time supply. YMMV

This is what I use. It's a really close shave.

Attachments

• razors.jpg
    razors.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 51
I got the the 1880 era safety razor to try shaving like a REAL man, (not as REAL as Gumby though :eek: ).

The first 5 times or so, it looked like I had been in a fight. It took some time to mostly get the hang of it.

I switched back to the modern multi-razor ones, so that I don't dread shaving.

Life in the old days was brutal :cool:

I got the the 1880 era safety razor to try shaving like a REAL man, (not as REAL as Gumby though :eek: ).

The first 5 times or so, it looked like I had been in a fight. It took some time to mostly get the hang of it.

I switched back to the modern multi-razor ones, so that I don't dread shaving.

Life in the old days was brutal :cool:

It's pretty obvious why a lot of men in the "old days" had beards.:LOL:

I use the cheap disposable razors to the point they rust so badly I'm afraid of getting tetanus. Agree with the Jerry1 the lube strip is worthless.

I'm still bummed that I can't get the super thin headed, twin bladed razor without a lube strip that I used for many years. Now they are all either big bulky heads that don't really fit my face or have that annoying strip!

electric Norelco here. as the man once said..."i just want a shave, not a self-sacrifice. besides, i shave maybe once or twice a week.

I recently dumped my Mach 3 and decided to try this Walmart store brand model. Both the razor and the blades are significantly cheaper than my Mach 3 was. Honestly, This new one shaves me so much better than the Mach 3 did. I loved it so much that I bought a second one for my travel bag and dumped the Mach 3 I had for travel.

Attachments

• 521A0824-DB3B-467C-911E-61FB463CBC70.jpeg
    521A0824-DB3B-467C-911E-61FB463CBC70.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 32
I use the disposable 2 blade cheap ones. Nothing fancy and do the job with whatever cheap shaving cream in a can. Definitely an area I LBYM.

I use the Mach III but I'm gonna try the Equate in 22 years when I need a new blade. ;)

I use an electric shaver for most scenarios and "trim" up a few areas with the Mach III so it doesn't wear out very fast...but I do change it more often than every 22 years.

I'll never forget the first shower in Basic Military Training. It was incredible to see 60 guys try to shave themselves in a matter of 30 seconds. Half had never learned how...it was a mess.

Back
Top Bottom