Entering stasis for a decade

This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone (?) episode where a guy embezzles a modest amount of money from his company, instantly admits guilt and is sentenced to 20 years. He got 20 because he wouldn't disclose where the money was or give it back.

The show ends 20 years later with him sitting in a first class cabin on a cruise ship sipping a drink. His last line is "Do you know what $100,000 compounded over 20 years turns into?" (well, back then it was a lot of money)

Gotta admit, I don't remember that one. I do remember one called "The Rip Van Winkle Caper", where four guys $1M in gold bricks, hole up in a cave in the desert, and go into suspended animation, to awaken 100 years later. It didn't end well. One guy died while in stasis when a rock fell and broke his chamber. The other guys ended up turning on each other, and the lone survivor dies of thirst...and it turns out in the future, they found a way to mass produce gold, so it's essentially worthless.

Wouldn't work for me. I have to get up to pee twice a night.

No.

The reason people want to live for a long time is because they love their live. Sleep for 10 years and much of what you love will change and you'll have to catch up or mourn things you loved.

Caveat...

If I had some terminal illness that could be slept with me, and could expect I'd have a good chance of a cure on the other side....then maybe..

Imagine a world, where we have the science to put you to sleep for 10 years. It's safe at ten years or less, you don't age, no side effects, and relative cheap, let's say 20k a head.

Would you, at any point in your life, sleep a decade to boost investments? You can bring your spouse and anyone else who agrees.

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

So does getting layed off age 50, spending severance pay, some temp work aka jobshopper, selling and consuming a rental property proceeds, having a few dividend stocks, taking an early non cola small pension at 55, count?

Not to mention being a really really cheap SOB.

heh heh heh - that means my 401k rollover 1993 to 2006 in index funds had time to grow. Also during the period made the mental shift from unemployed slacker to really high class(in my mind) ER. :rolleyes:

My beer stash would go flat.

Yup, that's a deal-killer right there.

For all the reasons mentioned I wouldn't do it either. Now, we could go for a shorter period, like January to March. We both hate cold weather.

I don't think so. I like to have at least an understanding of the risk/reward ratio for an endeavor, and to believe that it is favorable. With this, it is really unknown.

I'd probably at least give it serous consideration for the jump forward 10 years in technological and medical advancements. And, after 10 years, my sleep debt should just about be repaid. It would be nice to wake refreshed.

Thought you were talking about the market, like Japan. Stasis doesn't look so bad right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom