Entertaining

Unless she was a stripper?

Sure, no problem. The more the merrier. But I never do anything very formally and always have way more food than needed.

It totally depends on who the guests are, and what the situation might be. I have brought strippers to a bachelor party that was otherwise going to be lame. That was a hit.

I suspect that if a homeless Vet was invited to one of my parties, I would be OK with it. Maybe someone's aging parent that the spouse just passed, I would be OK too.

If it's just bringing another mouth to feed, probably not.

So it is okay to accept homeless strippers as extra guests or aging widows that were strippers ?

We had a friend and this guy would alway always show up late to everything, this went on for a few years and finally the group of friends just started whatever it was after a normal delay of 10 minutes. Once he showed up a few times and realized we didn't wait, he started getting faster :)
With our guy, what really got him timely was when he missed out on the free appies a few times. We would rave about how great they were.

Now he will show up early! I think we have over-corrected!

I think it depends on a few things.
How far in advance do they ask if they can bring a guest. The day of the gathering would be quite rude for any party that wasn't a large outdoor party or similar unless there were extenuating circumstances. Three weeks in advance, then I would only think it was inappropriate if it was obviously an "intimate gathering" (wedding reception etc) and there aren't extenuating circumstances like I'll discuss next).

Other factors would include who the guest(s) was. A significant other that they weren't in a serious relationship when the invitation was sent but now it would seem rude to not invite that person if you were sending invites for a similar party would be an exception to many ideas of rudeness. A guy RSVPs for a wedding as a single guy 9 months ago but is now engaged or getting there asking to bring his significant other to that wedding wouldn't seem rude to me for instance, even though there would be additional costs to the host.

The "can't come unless I also bring this other person now" is another situation where the request to bring someone else wouldn't seem rude to me, but being offended if the answer was "sorry, we can't have anymore guests" would seem rude.

Then there's the type of event. A large gathering for something like a 4th of July outdoor BBQ with 20+ people coming, then asking to bring someone else along doesn't seem rude to me unless there were extenuating circumstances or the number of guests they're asking to bring was quite significant.

So, I guess the TLDR version of that is "it depends".

The guests in question were the parents of my SO's son's new girlfriend to a Christmas Eve family party . I said no because if I said yes it might open it up to all the in laws who have never been invited.Plus this is a sit down dinner with limited seating .

Back
Top Bottom