Entertaining Thoughts of a Good Used Vechicle

I was at my car when one of my neighbors who has the space next to me pulls up in what looks like a brand new car. I wondering if me getting a newer one inspired him to do so likewise or if that is pure coincidence.

Looks like he bought a brand new Toyota Camry to replace an older Honda Accord.

I made a "major" but needed addition to my car today with cardboard and masking tape. My old previous car (I miss some of it's conveniences) had one of those plastic thingies on the driver's visor that slid out to block the sun from giving me a left sided only face tan.

So a little cardboard and masking tape and tada :D, all set. (Oh, I ended up using tape of both edges so the new cardboard shade won't slip out).

Did you already start selling this online ? :LOL:

1 Pair Visormates Sun Visor Extenders for Honda Owners (not Element) : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://www.visormates.com/Photos.html

I Pimped my Ride

I pimped my ride today. Well, maybe not that drastic.

But I installed new car seats to cover the original seat material which is like dust and lint magnets.

Before and after photos:

p.s. I've put on about 2K miles on my Honda Fit in about 2 weeks. I'm getting close to 40mpg at freeway driving.

Attachments

• front seats before.jpg
    front seats before.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 4
  • front seat covers.jpg
    front seat covers.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 4
  • rear seat covers.jpg
    rear seat covers.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I pimped my ride today. Well, maybe not that drastic.

But I installed new car seats to cover the originals which are like dust and lint magnets.

Before and after photos:
Nice seats!

easysurfer said:
p.s. I've put on about 2K miles on my Honda Fit in about 2 weeks. I'm getting close to 40mpg at freeway driving.

Wow! So you have bought at least 50 gallons of gas. I have used the same amount of gas throughout the last 10 weeks of driving my big Toyota SUV. (I don't drive nearly as much!) I should file this post under "reasons why I don't need ultra-terrific gas mileage".

Last edited:
Thanks. Installing those seat covers are not for the faint of heart. My thumbs (a lot of pushing and pulling and tucking) are feeling the after effects.

That's one way to get hybrid MPG..drive less :)

Even with the Fit I was getting double the MPG what a friend who I was traveling with got on her Van. She would say, the good MPG I'm getting was making her sick in comparison.

I had a 250 mile trip yesterday and decided to drive like a granny (well, some grannies) just to see how good MPG I would get on my car. The end result 50.2 mpg at trips end.

Milking the gas mileage was fun for a moment, then not so fun and boring.

I hate buying cars. Not so much writing the check(although that hurts too), but the games they try to play(or maybe incompetence in this case) . I found a demo Traverse I liked on a local website and decided to go test drive it. Salesman comes out and shows me the one I'm interested in. After we come back from the test drive I tell him..... 'OK how about working up a price'. So we go in his office and he asks what features do I want on a Traverse?(this guy is old btw) I tell I want a price on the demo we just drove, nothing else. Then he says OK he needed to leave for the rest of the day and would call me first thing Saturday morning. I'm getting pissed at this point but tell him OK.

Saturday afternoon he calls telling me he has several models he can quote me on and asks which one would I like a quote. I told him 'WTH are you talking about?' You are suppose to be calling me with a price on the demo I drove. Then he ask which one was that? After he figured out which one he says he can knock off $X as the cash discount(same amount on website), not mentioning anything about the preferred discount and demo discount clearly shown on their website. When I called his hand on that he just said he couldn't do anything about that and he would have to get with his manager next week for any other discounts.

So I told him to forget it. I don't play games. I'm going to call the manager next week to explain why I'm not going to buy a vehicle from them. I will probably just wait until next year and look for a good used one. That was my original plan all along.

I'm convinced a million years from now the only thing that will survive are cockroaches and car salesmen - not that you'll be able to tell the difference...

Dawg, what a disappointing beginning to your search for a new vehicle. If it was me, I'd be going to another dealership today to see what they can do for me.

When I bought my Venza, I went to one dealership, was done haggling in less than an hour, and drove my Venza home the same afternoon, IIRC. Your experience with the old salesman sounds just awful.

Last edited:
Dawg, what a disappointing beginning to your search for a new vehicle. If it was me, I'd be going to another dealership today to see what they can do for me.

When I bought my Venza, I went to one dealership, was done haggling in less than an hour, and drove my Venza home the same afternoon, IIRC. Your experience with the old salesman sounds just awful.

Actually I had already talked to another one. A friend of mine works there, but they are real small and didn't have any models I was looking for. He could bring one in but I was trying to find a demo due to the better prices. I have a GM credit card with about $1k of discounts that can be applied to a new vehicle and demo's are allowed with certain mileage restrictions. Last year GM bumped it up to $2k during a sales promotion early in the year. Maybe that will happen again next year, although I have been told sales are better nationwide so it might not happen. But over the years, they have always had some bump up promotions.

Going to let my buddy keep an eye out for me. He might find one I like and I know he can offer me a better trade-in than this other outfit, so that will help offset the demo discount. And will keep and eye open for a low mileage program car. I have bought those before with warranty remaining and at a good price. Always some trade offs no matter how you go.

I hate buying cars. Not so much writing the check(although that hurts too), but the games they try to play(or maybe incompetence in this case) .

Dawg52, sounds like you hate buying cars as much as I do. I would recommend taking a look at Carmax. I bought my last one there and was pleased with the whole process. Shopped online, found what I wanted, went over test drove, wrote a check and drove away. Also unloaded my 225K mile junker. NO BS from a salesman/manager.

Dawg52, sounds like you hate buying cars as much as I do. I would recommend taking a look at Carmax. I bought my last one there and was pleased with the whole process. Shopped online, found what I wanted, went over test drove, wrote a check and drove away. Also unloaded my 225K mile junker. NO BS from a salesman/manager.

I agree the CarMax experience was MUCH better than the new car dealers I have been to lately. I wish they had new cars, I just don't think the discount on a 2-3 YO car is very attractive.

-ERD50

When going to CarMax and declining the extended warranty, I only had to decline once. Not like having to do so several times at a regular place.

Might look into it. There are a couple of other SUV's I like so that will open up the selection a bit.

Well...so much for owning a safe used car with the Fit :blush:

Only one of 11 small city and minicars passed the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's small front overlap crash test in which a car hits a barrier with the front driver's side corner at 40 miles per hour. It simulates clipping another car head-on or hitting a tree or pole.

The worst performer was the Honda Fit, which earned a "poor" rating in the test along with five other models and all but one of the rest were "marginal."

Only one small car passes tough crash test

At least, if the test was graded on a curve, only one car was acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom