ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread

REWahoo! said:
Hey! Watch your language...

Wow, and I almost said "place the pit on your harvest gold countertop and later you can stick it on some toothpicks in a bowl of water, like some spindly legged old rotund guy at the beach".

I wonder why I have avocado on my mind this morning... :confused: :LOL:

Super bowls coming up...buffalo chicken wings

Grill or bake wings for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees or low heat on the grill, until done through.

If you're a purist, douse with franks red hot sauce. If you dont like storing your TP in the freezer and belching flames from at least 3 orifices, mix the franks with equal amounts of melted butter and then throw in a little lemon juice to taste.

Toss the wings in the sauce. Serve with blue cheese dressing.

Reuben Bratwurst...one of the ultimate superbowl foods

Cook brats per package directions. I simmer them in beer until done through and then grill them to lightly char. Nice technique with sausages as grilling them from a raw state often produces burned outsides before they're done through...a little simmer in water, beer, wine, stock or a compatible juice before grilling makes them juicier and assures they're cooked through...plus you can braise a buttload of them this way and then finish as needed on the grill in just a few minutes...great for large parties and/or people showing up at varying times.

Brown sliced onions in butter, put in a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm. Warm a can or jar of sauerkraut and also put it in a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.

Toast rolls, dress with swiss cheese, mustard and thousand island dressing. Top with a brat, some grilled onions and some sauerkraut. Put the cheese between the rolls and all the other stuff...it'll seal the bread from the juice/sauces and keep it from getting soggy and falling apart.

Okay, I don't know about any of the other Wednesday Weigh In people, but you are killing me here CFB! I guess I need to get some food in me, but boy do I wish I had one of your Brat sandwiches with onions and sauerkraut!

Killer...we had them at halftime yesterday. I'm not gonna eat for 2 more days. Unless theres still leftover wings...hmmm...uh oh.

Re:Ribs

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Get one or more slabs of baby back pork ribs. You can use this same methodology for regular slab ribs or even beef ribs, but they'll need a lot more cooking time.

Buy a box of extra wide foil...18" wide or more. Pull out an amount a little more than twice as long as the rib slab. Lay it out and put the ribs on top.

We're going to make a rub, but we're not going to rub it in. Simplest is just chili powder. I make a mix of 4 parts brown sugar, one part chili powder, one part cumin, one part black pepper, one part salt, and one part italian seasoning. Be creative. I make a bunch up and put it in a ziploc bag or a canister.

Sprinkle some of this on. You dont want a breaded appearance, so dont overdo it. Consider this as you would heavily "salting" the meat...you want good coverage but too much is not good.

Flip the ribs over so the curved part is face up. Dont bother rubbing this, it wont matter.
Fold the foil over, pinch it off all around snugly (dont rip it), put this in the fridge for an hour or overnight. Or dont, it'll still be ok.

Heat the oven to 350, remove the ribs from the fridge if you put them in the oven on a cookie sheet or something that can catch juice if the packet leaks. You can cook as many packets of these as your oven can handle, just dont stack them. Cook for roughly 60-90 minutes. Open the package at one end and tweak one of the bones. If its just starting to turn in its socket, its done. If the whole slab still has a lot of spring in it, its still underdone. If the bone pulls out, its overdone. Full slab pork ribs may take 2 hours or more...beef ribs even longer...for these you may also want to reduce the heat to 300 and increase the cooking time.

Take them out, and if you like put the wrapped ribs over a large pan and snip the foil in the middle to let the juice out into the pan...this is a good start for a homemade barbecue sauce. If you dont want the juice, do the unwrapping in the sink.

Using scissors or your fingers, unwrap the ribs and either throw them on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes until they get that brown and crispy look.

Carve them up and serve at the table with sauce on the side.

What we did here was braise the ribs in their own juices and our spice "rub", which has fully infused the meat without any extra work. They're moist, tender, tasty, and above all...easy.

An alternative if you like sticky sauced ribs and dont mind doing some extra work:

After you pinch up the rib foil pack, keep one end open and curved up like a funnel. Add a 1/2 cup of white wine, beer, or whatever floats your boat. A glop of chopped garlic. An extra spoonful or two of brown sugar. A few spoonfuls of balsamic or red wine vinegar. Seal it up. Cook as above. Drain the considerable juices from the foil into a pan. Taste it and add brown sugar, wine, tabasco and/or vinegar to taste. Boil it down until its bbq sauce/glaze consistency, paint it on the ribs, and serve. Dont put them under the broiler or on the grill, the glaze will just burn. Sticky and good.

Ribs are one of my favorites. Any rib recipe can be improved by removing the Membrane from the bone side of the ribs. Paring knife starts an edge and a paper towel seem to work the best for grabbing it and peeling it back.

Always come out more tender and makes falling of the bone easier. Don't go there..

W

Completely agree...I think in one of my rib recipe postings I mentioned that, but not in this one. Sure helps the rub get into both sides too.

I use a pair of pliers that I keep just for kitchen duty to grab an edge and pull.

Another kitchen hint:

Like chopped herbs in your food but dont like taking the time to pick the leaves from the stems before chopping? Parsley and cilantro are particularly a pain.

Two tips:

Lay a couple of the herb stems on a cutting board or plate and rake them in a parallel manner with the tips of a dinner fork along the stems. The fork will peel off most of the leaves and smaller stems and leave the larger stems behind.

Then, if you're coarsely chopping a lot of parsley, cilantro or other non-wispy herb, place them in a blender, cover with lots of water (but not enough to make the blender overflow), then pulse the blender until your herbs have been chopped to the desired level. This will also clean the herbs. Wait a few moments for any dirt to settle to the bottom of the blender. Drain in a colander or other mesh strainer to remove the water and pat dry if necessary with a paper towel. Great way to wash/chop a cup or two of herbs.

Crepes Sauvages

Another recipe I'd made a brazillion times when living in the frozen northeast tundra, and then made the mistake of making for my wife. Its either this or the eggs benedict now.

1 1/3 cups corn meal...the coarser the cornmeal, the crunchier the pancake. I use fairly coarse polenta
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder...use a little more if you find you want them poofier, less or none if you like thin crispy cakes
1/4 cup flour

Stir the dry ingredients and add a quarter cup of not-too-hot melted butter (nuke it until its soft, then let it stand while you're measuring the dry ingredients), mixing thoroughly to coat the dry materials and have no lumps.

Separately, combine 2 cups buttermilk and 2 beaten eggs. If you dont have buttermilk you can sort of fake the taste by mixing a cup of milk with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice and allowing it to stand. You can also mix milk with a tablespoon or two of plain yogurt to fake it.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry with as few strokes as possible.

Pour onto the griddle small and cook as regular pancakes, you're shooting for about 2-3" cakes. Stir the batter between rounds of cooking.

The batter will produce thin crispy pancakes with a nice crunch from the coarse cornmeal, unless you added a little extra baking powder. If you prefer a very tender cake but like the taste of this, leave out the baking powder when making, let the batter stand for an hour so the cornmeal will soften, then add the baking powder and cook.

I serve these with grade B maple syrup from trader joes, which IMO has better flavor than grade A.

CFB

How in the world does your wife stay so thin? (I think that I remember you saying she was very thin.) I would weigh a gazillion pounds if I were her!

She walks for 12 hours straight a couple of days a week!

The other moms in the neighborhood weren't too happy with her for a while after she not only lost all the 'baby weight' but another 10lbs on top of that.

She's also a regular treadmill user.

Its a funny moment when my 15-20lbs overweight carcass shows up at the doctors office with my wife and son, who are both rail thin. I'm quite sure the doc pictures us all sitting at the dinner table, a pile of food in front of me yelling "YOU CAN HAVE WHATS LEFT WHEN I FINISH!" as they hungrily look on. :LOL:

Got a couple more that I havent tried yet, but thought I'd throw out the parts that intrigue me as they're fairly self explanatory.

One is for potato pancakes, which as anyone who ever made them will tell you, shredding and squeezing the moisture out of taters is way too much work. This one uses defrosted frozen shredded hash browns (oreida) mixed with a little butter, egg, corn starch and minced scallions. Form, spray with PAM and bake in the oven for about 18 minutes. Allegedly foolproof and very quick and easy. I'll post the full recipe when i'm in a typing mood some other time. ;)

The other was for a faux smoked brisket to do indoors for the poor cold weather folks. Poke the brisket all over with a fork, hit it with a rub, wrap in a POUND of bacon, wrap that in foil and bake for four hours at 275, then shut the oven off and let it stand in the oven for another hour. Remove the bacon from the brisket, render it in a pan, drain off the fat and then make a nice bacon bbq sauce with it, brush it on the meat and pass it under the broiler for a few minutes to get rid of that brown/gray appearance caused by the bacon-braising. Allegedly imparts a nice smoky flavor and produces a very tender brisket. This one caught my eye because when I use my bullet smoker, I put a pork shoulder on the rack over a full brisket and let the smoky pork fat from the shoulder drip on the brisket to keep it moist and add flavor, and that really works great.

Recipes are from the new "Cooks Country" magazine that Cooks Illustrated is sending out to all current subscribers.

My daughter gave me this nice recipe for roast chicken. She said it was for single men with an innovative streak:

Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. F. Take a roasting chicken, about 5-6 lbs. Rinse chicken and remove package of gibblets. Rub all over with some butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stuff with a mixture of stove top stuffing and popcorn. Place in a roasting pan, and put it into the 350 deg. oven. After a coupler of hours, kneel down and listen for popping sounds. When the oven door blows open and the chicke's ass sails across the kitchen, the bird is done.

And you thought that men couldn't cook!

Dementia Brownies Recipe

REMOVE CLOTHING FROM OVEN AND PREHEAT TO 375.

MELT 1 CUP MARGARINE IN SAUCEPAN.

REMOVE CLOTHING FROM OVEN AND TELL MOM "NO, NO"

ADD MARGARINE TO 2 CUPS SUGAR.

TAKE SHORTENING CAN AWAY FROM MOM AND CLEAN CUPBOARDS.

MEASURE 1/2 CUP COCOA.

TAKE SHORTENING CAN AWAY FROM MOM AGAIN AND BATHE CAT.

APPLY ANTISEPTIC AND BANDAGES TO SCRATCHES SUSTAINED WHILE REMOVING SHORTENING FROM CAT'S TAIL.

ASSEMBLE 4 EGGS, 2 TSP VANILLA AND 1 1/2 CUPS SIFTED FLOUR.

TAKE SMOLDERING CLOTHES FROM OVEN AND OPEN ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS FOR VENTILATION.

MEASURE 1 TSP SALT, 1/2 CUP NUTS AND BEAT ALL INGREDIENTS WELL.

LET CAT OUT OF REFRIGERATOR.

POUR MIXTURE INTO WELL GREASED 9X13 INCH PAN.
BAKE 25 MINUTES.

RESCUE CAT AND TAKE RAZOR AWAY FROM MOM. EXPLAIN TO HER THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF SHAVED CATS WILL SUNBURN.

THROW CAT OUTSIDE WHILE HE'S STILL ABLE TO RUN AWAY.

FROSTING:
MIX IN A SAUCEPAN: 1 CUP SUGAR, 1 OZ UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE, 1/4 CUP MARGARINE.

TAKE THE DARN CLOTHES OUT OF THE BROILER AND PUT AWAY, FAR AWAY.

ANSWER THE DOOR AND MEEKLY EXPLAIN TO THE POLICEMAN THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW MOM HAD SLIPPED OUT OF THE HOUSE AND WAS STANDING NAKED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET.

ADD 1/3 CUP MILK, DASH OF SALT AND BOIL, STIRRING CONSTANTLY FOR 2 MINUTES.

ANSWER DOOR AND APOLOGIZE TO NEIGHBOR FOR MOM HAVING STUCK A GARDEN HOSE IN HIS FRONT DOOR MAIL SLOT. PROMISE TO PAY FOR THE RUINED CARPET.

REMOVE BURNED BROWNIES FROM OVEN.

Horseradish Short Ribs

A meal in itself...err...

1 pound carrots
1 pound thin-skinned potatoes
1 onion (1/2 lb.)
1 turnip (about 1/2 lb.)
4 pounds lean beef short ribs, fat trimmed, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces
1 cup fat-skimmed beef or chicken broth
About 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
About 1/4 pound watercress, rinsed and drained
Salt

1. Peel carrots, potatoes, onion, and turnip and cut into about 1/2-inch dice.

2. Rinse ribs, drain, and lay bone-down in a single layer in a 12- by 14-inch casserole (about 5 qt.) at least 2 inches deep. Distribute vegetables evenly around but not over meat. Pour broth and 1 1/4 cups water into casserole.

3. Coat tops of ribs with 6 tablespoons horseradish.

4. Cover casserole tightly with foil, tenting if necessary to keep foil from touching ribs. Bake in a 375º oven until meat is very tender when pierced, about 3 hours.

5. Meanwhile, break leaves from watercress and finely chop stems. Cover each separately and chill.

6. Uncover casserole and bake until ribs brown, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer ribs to a large platter and keep warm. Mix chopped watercress stems with vegetables and return to oven until watercress is slightly wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter. Skim and discard fat from pan juices, then pour juices into a bowl.

7. Garnish platter with the watercress leaves. Serve the meat and vegetables with pan juices, horseradish, and salt to taste.

No. She works 12 hour shifts at the hospital. On her feet almost the entire time on her way to...somewhere...

She wore a pedometer a couple of times and for a full shift it showed some ridiculous number like 21 miles.

and yes, she wears through a set of orthopedic shoes about every six months.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
No. She works 12 hour shifts at the hospital. On her feet almost the entire time on her way to...somewhere...

She wore a pedometer a couple of times and for a full shift it showed some ridiculous number like 21 miles.

and yes, she wears through a set of orthopedic shoes about every six months.

Your wife work at Sutter CFB? Mine does. She wears one of them gadgets that measures her rsteps lol. It gets up there some nights.

Nope, small hospital up north, and changing jobs to a smaller one near our new place. Yep, the mileage does add up!

Currently she's completely unemployed for about a week. She's watching the critters and gabe while i'm moving furniture and doing major repairs to the new house.

THIS is early RETIREMENT?!? :p ;)

BBQ Beef

Open can of Hormel canned Beef and place in skillet, cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, place on bun when hot. Fast, easy, good, little cleanup. The perfect recipe! :)

Rustic23 said:
BBQ Beef

Open can of Hormel canned Beef and place in skillet, cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, place on bun when hot. Fast, easy, good, little cleanup. The perfect recipe! :)

Sounds pretty tasty. However Im betting the calories are pretty much up there :D

Does anyone have a good recipe for Melamine Chicken?

Does anyone have a good recipe for Melamine Chicken?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-melamine.htm

Link below is the best recipe website I have ever found. Enter what you are looking for and it searches a data base. All recipes have reviews. I look for ones that are 4+ stars and 50 or more reviews. Read a bunch of the reviews as people tweak them a bit, like too salty cut it iin half or make double the sauce for dipping etc.

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=mai+tai

Back
Top Bottom