Evaluate this Homemade Gift Idea

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I can't decide whether this is a good idea for a gift or not.

DW was doing some experimenting with leftover yarn, and made a "felted bowl." It is something that is knitted, and then run through the washing machine with hot water to shrink it.

img_744683_0_72ae6e208e8bbea6cf14d1a808cb4eee.jpg

I found that it works great for putting my glasses in, so that they won't get scratched:

img_744683_1_6b512cdd21930e423b069f4ea34e5f7c.jpg

I use it all the time when switching between reading glasses and computer glasses.

She could make some of these for presents, in a more oblong shape that would fit glasses better.

Do you think that would make a good present, or is it silly?

Al, I would think it would depend on who the gift recipients are. By that I mean are the people you are thinking of giving these to likely to use them? I know personally I would think WTF, but I am not into the whole artsy-fartsy thing, so I am probably not the most qualified person to provide assistance.

I don't know but I like the usage idea. Since I have a cat that likes to knock things off tables, it wouldn't work for me. But again the idea is good, I always keep a case nearby that can be closed so that if it falls, all is well.

I like the idea....but again, it all depends on who the gift would be for.

I would use something like this with two conditions:
1) It should include an explanation and illustration
2) It should be washable (include instructions)

Could it be inverted to make a hat? I am always losing hats.

I like it, but I like this kind of thing. So it depends on the person.

For example, my man necklace idea is falling flat, but the necklaces I did for women friends was a hit.

I think you would need to put something in it, so the recipient sees that it is meant to be a bowl. I picture someone putting it on their head like a cap :D. Could make for an interesting "Thank You" card, if they included a picture wearing their new bowl!.

We keep a number of small woven baskets for the same reason - so yes, I think it could make a nice gift. Color co-ordination with the recipient's home might be an issue. We have some light 'natural' baskets, some dark stained ones, all depends on the room.

-ERD50

I like it, but I like this kind of thing. So it depends on the person.

For example, my man necklace idea is falling flat, but the necklaces I did for women friends was a hit.

Martha if you can find some shark's teeth, or bear claws, or even Porcupine claws on leather, you have an awesome necklace for men. Tell 'em it will enhance their sexual stamina. That's how that cute saleswoman sold me mine.

Since I started wearing a necklace I never take it off, except to shower.

I don't know how I ever made it to age 67 without a Manlace.

Ha

I think you would need to put something in it, so the recipient sees that it is meant to be a bowl. I picture someone putting it on their head like a cap :D. Could make for an interesting "Thank You" card, if they included a picture wearing their new bowl!....

I recently went to an art exhibit where the artist was giving away his small ceramics on the condition that the recipient submit a photo to his website along with some text about how and where the item is used.

He received my input but hasn't issued the certificate yet. His artistic concept is that it is not art until .... "Undocumented, uncertified works are not considered official works of art." So goes contemporary art.

Last edited:
Do you think that would make a good present, or is it silly?
Car keys, coins, toothpicks in the kitchen, emptying out your pockets on the dresser at the end of the day, all those little things you find around the house that you don't recognize until after you've thrown them away...

Potholders?

And if you soaked it in catnip then I can only imagine the hours of fun a cat would have with one of them.

Potholders?

I have two treasured pot holders that look something like that. My uncle said his mother-in-law who made them had to be very careful to find heat-resistant material.

Last edited:
Al, I would think it would depend on who the gift recipients are. By that I mean are the people you are thinking of giving these to likely to use them? I know personally I would think WTF, but I am not into the whole artsy-fartsy thing, so I am probably not the most qualified person to provide assistance.

That was my response, too. Sorry, Al!

I find something that is not bendable is a lot handier for the uses suggested. I use a gilt tray for my keys and mail, and a ceramic tray for my glasses:

3016800030_78b3942d17_o.jpg

I like my ceramic tray! If I used the yarn hat for these purposes, it could be bent in a weird shape when needed and I would be straightening it out all the time.

On the other hand, I agree that it might make a nice hat. (?)

Last edited:
I think you need to expand the uses - if you adjust the size
One
Hat
Dust cover
Candy bowl - wrapped only

Two
String them together for a bra

Al the bowl is beautiful and obviously took alot of time to make. I just wonder if people who it would be given to would know it was a bowl at first because it is made of non-tradional materials? Felted wool items are very trendy especially with women between 20 and 30. Could she make crocheted purses? Tell her to check out what is selling on Etsy. I would love a felted wool purse!

I was thinking purse, too. I love little tiny zippered cases for various things! In Mongolia, wool is pretty much all they've got, so felted items are very popular.
It is very cool, and if you explained that it was a bowl, I'd be all into it as well. Not for glasses, but other stuff that accumulates.
I bought a handful of wool felt tree ornaments to bring back from Mongolia--that might be another idea.

Al, I'd use a felted bowl for jewelry and things I didn't want scratched. But for glasses, I'd prefer a felted wool glasses slipcase, which would probably be easier for her to make.

I like the idea (felted items as gifts)! I have seen felted purses and tiny keepsake size bags etc in books. I've never seen bowls but depending upon the shape of the bowl, it will be good for some things.

I have never tried felting, but the bowl doesn't look quite felted to me. The ones I've seen - you cannot see the individual yarns. Maybe the bowl needs to be washed with hot water one more time? (Like I said, I've never done felting, so I have no idea what I am talking about!)

Here is one photo I've found googling.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/karendawn/Knitting/Purses1.jpg

tmm

OK, thanks guys. I think the general consensus is that it's not a great gift idea.

She does make tons of purses and hats and gloves (see pictures) but I think we've pretty much saturated the family gift market with those.

img_745363_0_ad2be548b8dd98569d23193e46e6c0fd.jpg

img_745363_1_5a8e640c2c4bfb57966a4fa59f2442f0.jpg

img_745363_2_2eed31a0b77c97ae628dfc5630d955d7.jpg

img_745363_3_d0d8ac830674dc27f73090075504b6b8.jpg

img_745363_4_b7770659880e96b34d42ef80b8d98a11.jpg

img_745363_5_b3b6a9b72bfb8b5304369ee8a4b94612.jpg

img_745363_6_f2f878099fcb433875a1d0f0e38f8535.jpg

img_745363_7_2e5655667fa3fea12c3067149ef53cec.jpg

Dang Al - major kudos to your wife! Great assortment - was taken by the fingerless mittens and had a thought - could she make a mitten that had the back of the mitten extend down and around the fingers but was able to be opened when one wanted to use the fingers? Sort of like this? Shooting Gloves - just a possible variation.

Like her version of fingerless mittens - used to use gloves minus finger tips when i was mechanicing for a living and using air tools in the cold - separating the fingers in little tubes didn't seem real good from a warmth standpoint

send me one!!! i like fall colors. or sapphire blue is my fave color. :cool:
it could also be used for daily do-not-lose things like car keys, cell phone, wallet, etc. maybe cut and set some clear plastic set in the bottom for holding its shape?
not a silly idea at all! :D
and i love the turquoise hat. very stylish...

Back
Top Bottom