Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We have a LOT of redtail hawks around here. There are three that frequent our neighborhood, and help control the stray pet population.
Here's a pic of the visitor we had today - when he gets a bit more healthy i'm sure he'll be doing some small animal control. Rufus:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 088.jpg (1.83 MB, 18 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never seen a wild bald eagle. I'll have to put that on my list of must do's. We do have Osprey nests scattered throughout our community including one right accross the canal from us. Quite a treat watching them fish right in the harbour and raising their young in the spring. They like to eat their catch right on top of the dock pilings. I'd luv to have a high power telephoto camera for recording them up close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0028.JPG (207.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #23

Quote:
We see them here by the Illinois River quite often. There are several dozen that nest in the area.
Same here - see them below the dams hunting for fish, and in nearby nests
Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #24

There is a nesting pair of bald eagles that returns to the area every winter, along a major highway about 10 miles east of town. There's a parking area along the side of the road there where people pull over, grab binoculars and cameras and observe.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was walking the dog last summer and notice two large birds circling very high in the sky above me. At the time I brushed it off as a couple of buzzards. I realized later that in the back of my mind something didn't quite fit. I should have been more aware since I'd seen scores of eagles in Alaska back in the mid-seventies soaring very high.

About thirty minutes later I was sitting on the back porch with DW. Suddenly her eyes got that big "surprised" look as she peered over by shoulder. I turned just in time to see a very large bird crossing low over the lake. It wasn't a buzzard or a hawk, and DW, who got a much better look at it, said the head was a lighter color than the dark brown body and wings. How could it have been an eagle though, since I'd never seen one in our part of GA, but it sure looked like a eagle.

At a New Years Eve party I asked a professor in the forestry department about it. He said he has recently seen both golden and bald eagles in our area. So now I'm convinced it was a golden eagle. Spectacular sighting. Haven't seen it again.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wish the responders would, at least, tell us what State you are in. Please? Promise that none of us will show up at your door for dinner...
It's great to know there are lots of eagle spots, but where are you guys located?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #27

Saw lots of them in Alaska on our cruise. Here's a picture I got of a whale and an eagle at the same time.

Grumpy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0325 Humpback and Eagle.jpg (34.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Same here - see them below the dams hunting for fish, and in nearby nests
Dams on the IL or MS? I'm a short distance up-river from Starved Rock on the IL.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Saw lots of them in Alaska on our cruise. Here's a picture I got of a whale and an eagle at the same time.

Grumpy
I wonder if the eagle was thinking "Hmmmm, LUNCH...SUPER-SIZE it!!!"
Old 01-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

When I lived on the Mississippi River, I saw them all the time. Actually, the kingfishers were neater, they could hover forever, then dive down and snap up an unsuspecting fish......

However, I once saw an eagle pluck a squirrel right off an old fallen tree............they are darn good hunters...........

Darnest thing I ever saw: A red-tailed hawk plucked a chipmunk right off my driveway right as 2 Cub Scouts were walking up to sell me something. I never saw two kids run that fast in my life.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Dams on the IL or MS? I'm a short distance up-river from Starved Rock on the IL.
I saw them at Starved Rock on an eagle watch last January. I'm 36 miles upstream in Morris. My BIL and SIL said they saw some in trees along the Mazon Creek south of Morris.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Local wild peacocks? I never even knew they were wild. I'm going to look them up on the net now....very cool.
Yep, they're everywhere around the sacramento region. Pretty tame too.

We came across a couple wandering around near the edge of one of the local parks last year. Gabe ran up to it and touched the tip of its tail. It stopped, whirled around and laid out the full plumage. He was quite impressed.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #33

Quote:
I saw them at Starved Rock on an eagle watch last January. I'm 36 miles upstream in Morris. My BIL and SIL said they saw some in trees along the Mazon Creek south of Morris.
Hey, we're dang near neighbors! I'm in Ottawa.

I went down to the river this morning, but didn't see any. Of course the river is still pretty much unfrozen, so they're probably still sticking around the locks & dam. I'll have to head down that way in the next couple of days and check it out.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Hey, we're dang near neighbors! I'm in Ottawa.

I went down to the river this morning, but didn't see any. Of course the river is still pretty much unfrozen, so they're probably still sticking around the locks & dam. I'll have to head down that way in the next couple of days and check it out.
Yes we are practically neighbors. When I took the starved rock "eagle watch" tour, the tour buses stopped by the Corps of Engineers facility on the north side of the river where we watched the eagles through telescopes. I dont know if anyone not on the tour can stop in and use their telescopes though.

Here's a pic i took - actually its my pic of a pic in the photo contest at the Smithsonian

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #35

Quad Cities here, so we are all living close by.
Saw mayb 20 some eagles flying over the house across the street from us last year. Why there, I have no idea, but they were circling that particular house for an hour or so. Really bird watching is like watching fish to me--fascinating.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #36

Quote:
I dont know if anyone not on the tour can stop in and use their telescopes though.

Here's a pic i took - actually its my pic of a pic in the photo contest at the Smithsonian
Very nice pic!

Yes, anyone can stop at the COE's lock & dam site and go to the Illinois Waterway Visitor Center and use the telescopes. We used to go there a lot just to watch the barges go through the locks.....kids love it! The hours, according to the IDNR, are 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm.

Here's a link to the "Eagle Watching Weekend". (Which is this coming weekend BTW)

Here's a picture taken there, that is not unusual at all! A lot of times you'll see many more eagles than this!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

It is so amazing how many eagles are around now, compared back in the 1960s and the DDT years. Remember Rachel Carlson's Silent Spring?

My dad built transmitters used to track wildlife. I remember in the mid-60s he got a call from one of his biologist friends that an eagle pair was nesting near Ballclub lake. We got in the car and drove hours to see the eagle pair. First eagles I had ever seen. Now they are everywhere.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I've also seen some along the Mississippi norht of St. Louis. Stopped a couple of locks. They were sitting up in the trees next to the parking lot so you could get pretty close. Land between the lakes in Kentucky has eagle watching tours in the spring. Last fall while bike riding, we spotted a pair in some trees near the road. One of our group was from Norway, and never seen one before, so she was pretty excited.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Very nice pic!

Yes, anyone can stop at the COE's lock & dam site and go to the Illinois Waterway Visitor Center and use the telescopes. We used to go there a lot just to watch the barges go through the locks.....kids love it! The hours, according to the IDNR, are 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm.

Here's a link to the "Eagle Watching Weekend". (Which is this coming weekend BTW)

Here's a picture taken there, that is not unusual at all! A lot of times you'll see many more eagles than this!
Thanks for the link - I'll round up the wife and MIL and check out "Eagle Watching Weekend"
Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks for the link - I'll round up the wife and MIL and check out "Eagle Watching Weekend"
And it's supposed to be nice weather this weekend, too! Enjoy!