Ever seen a live eagle?

Wish the responders would, at least, tell us what State you are in. Please? Promise that none of us will show up at your door for dinner...
It's great to know there are lots of eagle spots, but where are you guys located?

Saw lots of them in Alaska on our cruise. Here's a picture I got of a whale and an eagle at the same time.

Grumpy

Attachments

• IMG_0325 Humpback and Eagle.jpg
    IMG_0325 Humpback and Eagle.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5
When I lived on the Mississippi River, I saw them all the time. Actually, the kingfishers were neater, they could hover forever, then dive down and snap up an unsuspecting fish......

However, I once saw an eagle pluck a squirrel right off an old fallen tree............they are darn good hunters...........

Darnest thing I ever saw: A red-tailed hawk plucked a chipmunk right off my driveway right as 2 Cub Scouts were walking up to sell me something. I never saw two kids run that fast in my life.........:)

Dams on the IL or MS? I'm a short distance up-river from Starved Rock on the IL.

I saw them at Starved Rock on an eagle watch last January. I'm 36 miles upstream in Morris. My BIL and SIL said they saw some in trees along the Mazon Creek south of Morris.

Local wild peacocks? I never even knew they were wild. I'm going to look them up on the net now....very cool.

Yep, they're everywhere around the sacramento region. Pretty tame too.

We came across a couple wandering around near the edge of one of the local parks last year. Gabe ran up to it and touched the tip of its tail. It stopped, whirled around and laid out the full plumage. He was quite impressed.

I saw them at Starved Rock on an eagle watch last January. I'm 36 miles upstream in Morris. My BIL and SIL said they saw some in trees along the Mazon Creek south of Morris.

Hey, we're dang near neighbors! I'm in Ottawa.

I went down to the river this morning, but didn't see any. Of course the river is still pretty much unfrozen, so they're probably still sticking around the locks & dam. I'll have to head down that way in the next couple of days and check it out.

Hey, we're dang near neighbors! I'm in Ottawa.

I went down to the river this morning, but didn't see any. Of course the river is still pretty much unfrozen, so they're probably still sticking around the locks & dam. I'll have to head down that way in the next couple of days and check it out.

Yes we are practically neighbors. When I took the starved rock "eagle watch" tour, the tour buses stopped by the Corps of Engineers facility on the north side of the river where we watched the eagles through telescopes. I dont know if anyone not on the tour can stop in and use their telescopes though.

Here's a pic i took - actually its my pic of a pic in the photo contest at the Smithsonian

eagles.jpg

Quad Cities here, so we are all living close by.
Saw mayb 20 some eagles flying over the house across the street from us last year. Why there, I have no idea, but they were circling that particular house for an hour or so. Really bird watching is like watching fish to me--fascinating.

I dont know if anyone not on the tour can stop in and use their telescopes though.

Here's a pic i took - actually its my pic of a pic in the photo contest at the Smithsonian

Very nice pic!

Yes, anyone can stop at the COE's lock & dam site and go to the Illinois Waterway Visitor Center and use the telescopes. We used to go there a lot just to watch the barges go through the locks.....kids love it! The hours, according to the IDNR, are 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm.

Here's a link to the "Eagle Watching Weekend". (Which is this coming weekend BTW)

Here's a picture taken there, that is not unusual at all! A lot of times you'll see many more eagles than this!

Attachments

• Eagles overlook the Illinois River in this view from the Illinois Waterway Visitor Center 2.jpg
    Eagles overlook the Illinois River in this view from the Illinois Waterway Visitor Center 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 35
It is so amazing how many eagles are around now, compared back in the 1960s and the DDT years. Remember Rachel Carlson's Silent Spring?

My dad built transmitters used to track wildlife. I remember in the mid-60s he got a call from one of his biologist friends that an eagle pair was nesting near Ballclub lake. We got in the car and drove hours to see the eagle pair. First eagles I had ever seen. Now they are everywhere.

I've also seen some along the Mississippi norht of St. Louis. Stopped a couple of locks. They were sitting up in the trees next to the parking lot so you could get pretty close. Land between the lakes in Kentucky has eagle watching tours in the spring. Last fall while bike riding, we spotted a pair in some trees near the road. One of our group was from Norway, and never seen one before, so she was pretty excited.

Very nice pic!

Yes, anyone can stop at the COE's lock & dam site and go to the Illinois Waterway Visitor Center and use the telescopes. We used to go there a lot just to watch the barges go through the locks.....kids love it! The hours, according to the IDNR, are 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm.

Here's a link to the "Eagle Watching Weekend". (Which is this coming weekend BTW)

Here's a picture taken there, that is not unusual at all! A lot of times you'll see many more eagles than this!

Thanks for the link - I'll round up the wife and MIL and check out "Eagle Watching Weekend"

Back
Top Bottom