Every 3rd auto oil change, change filter?

Oil in normal service automobiles doesn't "wear out" , it just gets dirty and contaminated.

If you could measure the decontamination factor of a filter with a differential pressure gauge and downstream sampling you could then change based upon exhausting the filter's ability to remove contaminants. Obviously that's not practical on an auto engine with $5 filters.

Speaking of barns, have you every noticed that it's at least 10 degrees colder in the barn than it is outside in the winter. How can that be!

That's so the cold start ballasts on fluorescent barn lights won't work so you have to stumble around in the dark......

But seriously and on topic, why not just follow the instructions in the owner's manual? Is it a stretch that the engineers that design an incredibly complex, yet reliable engine also know how to maintain it?

But seriously and on topic, why not just follow the instructions in the owner's manual? Is it a stretch that the engineers that design an incredibly complex, yet reliable engine also know how to maintain it?

A thought that has often occurred to me.

I had an instructor in college who often said "When all else fails, try following directions". That has proven to be remarkably reliable advice.

A thought that has often occurred to me.

I had an instructor in college who often said "When all else fails, try following directions". That has proven to be remarkably reliable advice.
On the other hand, I've known some real "book" smart people (e.g. PhD's) that can write up a detailed set of instructions on how to start and stop a cars engine, when all's I really needed to know was "Press the red start/stop button". But I guess if that didn't work, I'd read the instructions if they would quit using .01 fonts.

But back on topic, sort of. I have another "car nut" friend that swears that most modern motor oils will work just as well as any others. The key is changing it regularly. I agree that changing it regularly is a key, but I do try to follow the viscosity recommendations for each engine.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Tacoma the oil and filter gets changed ever 12,000 miles. I also grease the 5 u-joints on the drive shafts. Air filter change every other oil change. I use full synthetic oil, it really helps with the starting in cold weather too, as we're due for another -20 night tonight.

A car question always brings out many post. A clarification. Honda, recommends filter change every other oil change. I change my oil at 4,000. (not honda recommendation).

I guess, I should have re-worded my original post. If I change my oil every 4,000 miles, can the oil filter last 12,000 miles without failing.

Again, the cost of the filter is not the issue. With the Fumoto valve, draining super
easy. Just getting lazy, and would like to skip changing the oil filter as often.

I think a couple of posts said should not be issue, cause I change oil so often, which
is my thinking also. Just interested in others opinions. Thanks.

If I change my oil every 4,000 miles, can the oil filter last 12,000 miles without failing.

In fact, most major oil filters product warrantees say something like, "this limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the ownerʼs vehicle or engine manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements".

Look up the warranty policy of the oil filter manufacturer you use. That's no guarantee against failure, but it'd be good to know if you'd be covered if there was a failure.

Sounds like you would not be legally covered.

Agree with Bamaman, you would do better to leave the oil and change the filter. If you get the option, a filter with synthetic media is better than paper media. As stated the oil really does not wear out, it gets dirty and loses the additive package. A good filter helps the dirty interval, and good synthetic oil helps the oil last longer.

But if DIY, changing filter with oil change is easy.

But if DIY, changing filter with oil change is easy.

Maybe in most cases, just got past the 24 month dealer provided maintenance on my Tacoma so took a closer look at what it will take for me to do the oil changes going forward. Have easy access to the oil drain plug but have to remove the skid plate to access the oil filter. I'll still do it myself, just not as quick and easy as I had hoped.

Back
Top Bottom