Executricks---Better Than FIRE!!!!

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Jeez, here I've been loving being FIREd, but now I see there is a better way, where you can still enjoy the lack of stress and loafing while continuing to get a paycheck. :rolleyes: If only I had seen this book before ER:

Barnes & Noble.com - Books: Executricks, by Stanley Bing, Hardcover

Too bad I wasn't a "power player(s) who have made their jobs into a waking festival of indolence and fun, and gleaned a vast range of executricks they have developed over the years, based around several core concepts:
  • Delegation, or getting other people to do the stuff you don't want to
  • Absence, or the ability to get "work" done while not being physically on the scene
  • Abuse of status
  • Acting visionary when confused
  • Intense engagement (used only in crisis)
wellspring of executricks flow from these simple precepts, including:
  • The use of the cell phone and BlackBerry to establish a permanent state of simultaneous Omniscience and Not-Presence
  • Roping off mealtimes as zones of defensible entitlement
  • Travel as an alternative to work
  • The art of the nap
  • Golf -- the ultimate dodge
  • Philanthropy and social activism, a pleasant parallel universe"
-----------------------------------------------------------

Why do I always find out about these things too late?

Jeez, here I've been loving being FIREd, but now I see there is a better way, where you can still enjoy the lack of stress and loafing while continuing to get a paycheck. :rolleyes: If only I had seen this book before ER:

Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: Executricks, by Stanley Bing, Hardcover

Too bad I wasn't a "power player(s) who have made their jobs into a waking festival of indolence and fun, and gleaned a vast range of executricks they have developed over the years, based around several core concepts:
  • Delegation, or getting other people to do the stuff you don't want to
  • Absence, or the ability to get "work" done while not being physically on the scene
  • Abuse of status
  • Acting visionary when confused
  • Intense engagement (used only in crisis)
wellspring of executricks flow from these simple precepts, including:
  • The use of the cell phone and BlackBerry to establish a permanent state of simultaneous Omniscience and Not-Presence
  • Roping off mealtimes as zones of defensible entitlement
  • Travel as an alternative to work
  • The art of the nap
  • Golf -- the ultimate dodge
  • Philanthropy and social activism, a pleasant parallel universe"
-----------------------------------------------------------

Why do I always find out about these things too late?

My former boss could have written that book.

Mine too! Especially the parts about "travel as an alternative to work" and "delegation or getting other people to do the stuff you don't want to do." Ohhhh, it's bringing back some really BAD memories.....

Execu-Incompetence is more like it.

This list brings back, well, I wish I could say memories, but more like the present reality.

Fond memories of the past. I knew one person that was so good at this he even turned down a retirement buyout package. Why settle for less when you can have it all with a big paycheck. :D

About a week after the offer expired they took him out behind the barn and we never saw him again. :bat:

Yeah, but there is a downside. If you are sneering at the bums described here then, like most of us, you are stuck with a work ethic. In that case instead of loafing that exec job will keep you occupied 24x7 and, if you are like me, it will wake you up at 4:00 AM worrying about whatever.

Well, now I know what my director has been reading... I just need to find it and burn it. Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom