RE 2 Year Update - Same problems when retired, but better still to retire

Toddtheformeraccountant

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, I RE'd now about two years ago, in April 2021. I'm 57 now, wife is 58.

Here's my update!

What I suspected is true...that my basic makeup/mentality did not change, that the same basic struggles and downers while working, are STILL struggles and downers in retirement, just different.

First I am still a bit of a worrier, which really sucked given my career (a controller for an S&P 500 company)...there is ALWAYS something to worry about or be concerned about or lose sleep over.

That worrying mentality has not changed, I simply worry about DIFFERENT things. I'm more familiar with what is going on in my family's lives....whether the kids or sisters or other relatives, and am more engaged and aware of the struggles they are going through, and able to offer help, so naturally, I begin to worry/get concerned about those things instead. Though there is not nearly as much lost sleep as worrying that our financial statements or controls were messed up and I would be fired and a laughingstock.

I was pretty disciplined before RE....mapping out my day, figuring out what needed to be done and checking off my to do list. Making sure I exercised. Making sure stuff stays in order. I still am disciplined, with DIFFERENT things...the things I have on my to do list now. Though now I'm a bit more relaxed about it, because the ramifications of procrastinating now is, I'll just do it tomorrow.

As for activities....used to spend 50 hours a week working, another 10 hours thinking about work, the rest with family or loafing. I'm still busy...between exercise, piano playing, reading various books, doing the gardening, reading the Bible, doing bible studies, volunteering at my church, taking care of our pool, fixing things about the house, cleaning the house, etc., I am probably spending the same 50 hours a week.

Many things I thought I would do, I have not yet taken up. I'm looking back at my "retirement activities" list and there's a good 15 or 20 different activities out of 30 that I have not touched yet. Some were probably just wishful thinking...like teaching an accounting class...I have been asked by a few folks in the education community to teach but no thanks, I think I just thought before I retired that might be something fun, but now that it's possible, no thanks.

Haven't traveled as much as we expected, though wife and I are fixing that over the next several months, just took a trip to Canada and have a two week trip to Europe planned in October.

As for regrets...none. I was expecting some time in the first few years at least a bit of contemplation, should I have worked a few more years? Am I going to get bored? Well, does "boredom" come or a lack of activity or monotony? Yes, and it did before I was retired too. Work became monotony. Now, sometimes gardening can be monotony. Sometimes I lose focus or discipline on whatever I'm working on ...like practicing piano, and have to take a couple days off. But that was the case with work as well....I would take "mental health" days (while still being at work) just focusing on something totally outside my area of responsibility and trying to recharge my batteries. That's true now, too, in retirement.

But the acid test is....would I trade the monotony/stress/worry/occasionally lack of focus or drifting of retirement, with the same downsides working? Not a chance.

Bottom line...I have not thought for ONE SECOND that I'd rather be working. When I retired, I wasn't expecting that it would be fantasyland and constant bliss. And that expectation IS met, retirement can occasionally suck, because life can suck and be imperfect, we live in a fallen and imperfect world, but but I'd much rather be living any "suck" day of lack of focus or boredom or indecision about what to do, in retirement than any of the occasional "bliss" or "mountaintop" days that happen in a challenging career.

Quick update on finances....kept it simple, with about 55% equities index funds, 45% bonds index funds, 5 years expenses in CD's. Spending less than we expected....probably about 2% withdrawal rate. Assets have increased a bit since retired in April 2021....

Last edited:
Great update, glad you are enjoying retirement.
It is nice to be able to do things that you want too, not what you "have" too via work.

Nice update Todd. It’s funny how retirement picture is painted as someone sitting on the beach sipping pinacoladas all day. What you shared sounds wonderful and real. Nothing wrong with the beach picture but like you said that love will soon become like. Enjoy the best days of your life.

I find it interesting that you thought about teaching... I am a CPA also and that was one of the things that I wanted to do...

I 'taught' a lot of people when working and enjoyed passing on knowledge.. but when it came time to get a job teaching at the local community college I found that actually getting a job was a job in itself... they wanted so many references and other things that I was not willing to spend the time getting that I passed... I then found out the pay was horrible (not that I was looking for big money but $1200 to teach on class for a semester seemed low)... so I passed...

As for worrying... that seems to be part of the makeup for an accountant... I am 8 years since my last real job and I still worry at times... less so than before but still there... funny thing is my DW is a MUCH bigger worrier on things.. always thinking of the worst thing that could happen and expecting it... (BTW, not what I worry about... I think hers is silly at times)...

Now that COVID is less you can actually travel more... that put a crimp in ours for a couple of years...

Thanks to this forum and posts like this, was just saying to DW the other day how my picture of my future retirement has started to change. I think in the past I just had this picture of it as this nirvana where every day would be sitting by the pool sipping margaritas. Then, more recently I was thinking of it as this new active phase where I was going to teach and write books and do consulting and generally fill up the time with all kinds of productive personal enrichment stuff. But, most recently, I've evolved to a picture where hey, its going to be a lot the same as now (still working) only minus the work part!

I'm sure in the end it will be some of all of the above. But, I see that it's not going to be all that radical of a change. And the problems we have now, will still be the problems we'll have in retirement, with the added element of managing our finances a bit differently.

I predict, knowing me, that the first three years will be a bit stressful. I too am a natural worrier. We'll be consolidating housing - which is a very big deal. And making some other big decisions changes. Plus, I suspect my time will be in high demand for other work, community stuff, etc., So will take a while for the dust to settle, but I'm looking forward to it all nonetheless.

BTW, look around and see what different boards etc. that you can get on... I got mad at my water board as they wanted to spend a bunch of money on useless stuff... so I ran for the board and won...

I spend a few days a month doing some stuff for them (being retired lets me do more than working people)... but I can do it on my time... I was surprised to find out it is paid a per diem but that is not why I ran..

I have thought about doing some charity work but have not gone down that path yet... My mom did charity work after she retired but they relied on her too much... I do not want to have it be a big time sink...

However, there are a lot of charities that NEED accounting help.. hmmm, maybe I will look into that a bit more now...

..like teaching an accounting class...I have been asked by a few folks in the education community to teach but no thanks, I think I just thought before I retired that might be something fun, but now that it's possible, no thanks. ....

You might want to reconsider that one. Similar background here... controllership and big 4 consulting. Back when I was in industry when I was assistant controller before becoming controller, I taught Intermediate Accounting I for community college for a few years and really enjoyed it. Considered it in retirement but we travel too much to make it work.

Nice update Todd. It’s funny how retirement picture is painted as someone sitting on the beach sipping pinacoladas all day. What you shared sounds wonderful and real. Nothing wrong with the beach picture but like you said that love will soon become like. Enjoy the best days of your life.
Thanks so much! Yep definitely enjoying it. :)

I find it interesting that you thought about teaching... I am a CPA also and that was one of the things that I wanted to do...

I 'taught' a lot of people when working and enjoyed passing on knowledge.. but when it came time to get a job teaching at the local community college I found that actually getting a job was a job in itself... they wanted so many references and other things that I was not willing to spend the time getting that I passed... I then found out the pay was horrible (not that I was looking for big money but $1200 to teach on class for a semester seemed low)... so I passed...

As for worrying... that seems to be part of the makeup for an accountant... I am 8 years since my last real job and I still worry at times... less so than before but still there... funny thing is my DW is a MUCH bigger worrier on things.. always thinking of the worst thing that could happen and expecting it... (BTW, not what I worry about... I think hers is silly at times)...

Yep that all makes sense. Yeah for me, the teaching thing sounded good when it was a few years down the road when planning, but then when it was imminent...I realized...geez I have to work, deal with a bunch of people...and I'm an introvert so that's not fun, so that one fell out.

Yeah and I think you're right, worrying is what makes a good accountant. For me it's the opposite, I'm Mr. "worst case scenario" and it drives my wife crazy, who is a bit of a Pollyanna. either way kind of tough to be a good accountant with a "whatever man" attitude. :)

You might want to reconsider that one. Similar background here... controllership and big 4 consulting. Back when I was in industry when I was assistant controller before becoming controller, I taught Intermediate Accounting I for community college for a few years and really enjoyed it. Considered it in retirement but we travel too much to make it work.

I think what really turned me off is realizing that I"m an introvert...and having to deal with a bunch of new people each semester would be not fun. Are you an extrovert?

Thanks for this candid update. I’ve been retired for a bit over 1 1/2 years and I can relate to many of your experiences. Your post may inspire me to write a similar update/review at some point. For now, just a few comments. Like you, I have NOT had one second of regret. One of my observations that may or may not apply to others: you will probably NOT reinvent yourself in retirement. So, for example, if you’ve never been much of a travel-bug it’s unlikely you’ll become one after retirement. Sure, you may travel more than you did prior to retirement, but it’s likely to be a modest (rather than radical) change. Same with most other things such as exercise, gardening or reading—if you rarely carved out time to do these things prior to retirement it’s unlikely (in my opinion) that these will become frequent activities or passions after retiring. On the other hand, if for example you’re passionate about travel but do so sparingly and you find yourself dreaming of a time when you can travel more often, then sure, you’ll likely crank up the traveling during retirement. All of this might sound obvious, but it seems like a lot of folks have unrealistic expectations regarding their activities during retirement.

Congratulations on 2 years in. Thanks for the update. We always like to hear success stories. Keep us posted in the future.

Back
Top Bottom