Exit Interviews not on Paid Time

Or you could pull a Marshawn Lynch. "Yes, thank you, next question, Yes, thank you, next question, yes, thank you, next question. . . . . . "

Nobody here will get any severance. The only lure for the exit interview is the actual COBRA paperwork. I don't know if this may apply to me but I think I'll ask them to mail the paperwork to me.

There is the "traditional" Mexican lunch for the department. I'm amazed that with layoffs without ceremony are going on in our other division that we're still doing these. I went to one just last week for someone that only moved to another department.

Good joke. It reminded me of kids that were concerned about their "permanent record" when they graduated from high school.
My high school issued fines for parking infractions. I had several over the years and was told I would not be able to get my diploma if I didn't pay them. I didn't and got my diploma like everyone else.

It's funny that companies will pay $$$$$$ for surveys to find what their employees think of them but yet will not listen to what is said during an exit interview, and I believe this to be true. If the employee's feedback doesn't fit into a question and answer from some survey that can be easily quantified, measured and compared to industries standards it's of no use. It's too bad that the "data driven" mode industry is in ignores their employee's opinions when it doesn't fit in to what the employer thinks is important.

Loki, that was a joke, right? I mean I don't even know where my permanent record is located! I move around a lot and and. Well, at least "they" can't take away my birthday, right?

It's funny that companies will pay $$$$$$ for surveys to find what their employees think of them but yet will not listen to what is said during an exit interview, and I believe this to be true. If the employee's feedback doesn't fit into a question and answer from some survey that can be easily quantified, measured and compared to industries standards it's of no use. It's too bad that the "data driven" mode industry is in ignores their employee's opinions when it doesn't fit in to what the employer thinks is important.

Good point! I completed many employee satisfaction surveys and the bigwigs held all of these big meetings (oh, did I HATE those meetings!) with PowerPoint presentations with the results including lots of fancy-shmancy bar charts which were nothing more than a huge waste of time and money. But we never saw anything done differently.

We did have a teamwork-morale task force in the mid-1990s, both local (my division and perhaps others) and broader. We implemented many of the local suggestions and, to the bigwigs' credit, they did implement some of the broader ones such as getting rid of the formal dress code all year round. But it seemed like they were just throwing us a bone.

In all the years I worked at MegaCorp, we never had a policy change driven by exit interviews.

Loki, that was a joke, right? I mean I don't even know where my permanent record is located! I move around a lot and and. Well, at least "they" can't take away my birthday, right?

Friend used to say "they can kill me but they can't eat me". Dunno why he said that and am not sure why he thought it was true.

Understand. I worked for a large corporation exactly one time and made no kind of a career out of it. Any and all of my comments are liable to be specious. Count me with Twain - the truth is so precious it should be valued highly and kept close, not thrown out casually.

Nobody here will get any severance. The only lure for the exit interview is the actual COBRA paperwork. I don't know if this may apply to me but I think I'll ask them to mail the paperwork to me.

That's what my last employer did, anyway. COBRA wasn't even discussed during the exit interview and I didn't think to bring it up. I figured afterwards I'd get something in the mail. One week later I e-mailed HR and asked why I hadn't gotten anything. Well, they farm that out to a 3rd party company and they'll send it to me. What, I asked, if I needed emergency medical care in the meantime? I knew COBRA was retroactive once you got the paperwork and paid your premiums, but in the meantime you have no proof of coverage. She didn't seem terribly concerned; said I should just explain to the providers that I wasn't on COBRA yet. Uh-huh. Sure. And I had a sprint triathlon coming up that weekend. :mad:

Fortunately I survived the triathlon without needing medical attention although I did get out of the lake early. Too darn cold, even with a wet suit. It was a beautiful day, though, so I finished the 12 mile bike ride and the 5K anyway. COBRA paperwork arrived the next day.

Long way of saying: you don't need an exit interview to collect COBRA paperwork and in some companies it may not even be available.

which place?

that's one thing I miss about Houston
It's not really that good. It's just right next to our building.

My boss announced my 27 Feb retirement today at a department meeting. It looks like with the new corporate austerity my lunch will be "Dutch treat." It should be a much smaller group. When it was paid, we had pretty close to 100% attendance.

Back
Top Bottom