Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Fastinating, but not for me. I'm a homebody. More power to them though!

Jean Cocteau: 'I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.'
Lovely quote and so very true...with cats maybe even more so than dogs (and I am a dog person). The little creatures do have a way of winding their tendrils around one's heart and can make a house a home. I enjoy coming home to my little dog every day and he breathes some life into the four walls. I admire your work with animal rescue, Purron. I do a little work in this area but not as much as you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Sounds familiar. Embarrassingly enough, this is the first time I have heard about them. I'm looking over their website now, but I haven't found a discussion about the 75% for 5 years yet. Do you have a link?
I am positive it was on their website when I read it. But their website has evolved from disorganized to super spaghetti since. Anyway it was also in the book, which I can no longer locate.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

They talk about it for a bit in the 3rd paragraph here:
Bicycle touring around the world on a bicycle
Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #24

It's really weird the things you focus on, but my immediate thought was that anyone who spent that much time on the bike would have the physique of Lance Armstrong and I'm not seeing it in the pictures.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #25

I speak 3 languages: english, profanity and sarcasm.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
It's really weird the things you focus on, but my immediate thought was that anyone who spent that much time on the bike would have the physique of Lance Armstrong and I'm not seeing it in the pictures.
It depends on how fast and far you go each day. And how much you eat.
My bet would be 25 miles at 10mph for the touring, whereas Lance belongs to the 80 miles at 25mph class.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #27

I think they do 40-50 miles a day when they are riding and probably at 8-9mph. They carry a lot of stuff with them, relatively speaking of course.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #28

they don't cover much ground. it's more of a pack up your life, move 40-50 miles down the road, unpack, repeat. (not that this doesn't sound interesting to me).

This man (and i'm reading his books), could cover some serious ground at his peak. in his book he cites putting in a couple of centuries, implying sometimes they were back to back. 4 years and he did it all on 7000 GBP (not that he didn't have to plead to the masses for money at times).
Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #29

That young man is one of my heroes.

Moods of future joys - Alastair Humphreys

I read both of his books as soon as they came out.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
... 4 years and he did it all on 7000 GBP (not that he didn't have to plead to the masses for money at times).
Where did you get that info? When did he ask for money from the masses?

Yes, he raised money, BUT NOT FOR HIMSELF!!! He did it for the UNFORTUNATE children of the world. Geez!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #31

Thanks for the travel blogs. Here's another bike travel blog - this travel is in the US so far
The Path Less Pedaled

An interesting side effect of saving a very large percentage of your income is that it reduces your living expenses to a point where you can save enough to support it very quickly. (Jacob speaks of this in his blog).

If you save 75% of your take home salary (constant in real $), you'll need under 8 years (4% real return) to save enough to live on a 4% withdrawal rate.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Where did you get that info? When did he ask for money from the masses?

Yes, he raised money, BUT NOT FOR HIMSELF!!! He did it for the UNFORTUNATE children of the world. Geez!
he went on the news in arizona to plead for a new bike. well, it was more of a shameless plug looking for sponsorship.

i'm not trying to take away what he did, i'm just saying that it may not have been exactly 7000 gbp. that's all. it was amazing, i'm super jealous and i'm sure i would have asked for more than he even was tempted in doing.

can't wait to finish, he just got to canada.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If you save 75% of your take home salary (constant in real $), you'll need under 8 years (4% real return) to save enough to live on a 4% withdrawal rate.
This is certainly true. As your savings rate increases, your "years of work required" decreases rapidly. If things turn out like we are projecting, we will have accomplished FIRE in around 11 years in two not particularly highly compensated fields.