Fall Colors yet?

I and DW went camping. The best colored leaves were the poison ivy!!! >:D

During fall bird migration the turning colors of poison ivy is a signal that the berries are ripe and ready to eat. Many birds follow the ripening of these berries as they fly south.

On the flip side hummingbirds follow the flowering of Jewelweed on their migration north.

Funny thing is that Jewelweed can relief the itch of poison ivy.

jewelweed.JPG

We used to follow the changing colors as well...

Attachments

• weed.jpg
    weed.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 68
New England has the best fall foliage. I have not traveled to many other countries with fall foliage in order to tell with authority, but could not imagine if something would be better....

I'd have to agree about New England. Lived 4 years in Germany (latitude close to that of Montreal) and although there was some nice fall color, it's not nearly as spectacular.

I'll never forget flying from London to DC with my British boss once in early October. It was a beautiful clear day and we flew over New England for the better part of an hour. We stood by one of the exit doors looking out the window, entranced by the amazing beauty unfolding below us. He had never seen anything like it. Very cool.

We're getting an RV soon and I hope to convince DH to do a foliage trip next fall. But it's a long way from Texas...

Last edited:
I just thought about the area further up north of the St. Lawrence River, that may also have the same trees. Of course with the maple leaf being on the Canadian flag, our neighbors surely have many of these trees. I have been to Montreal, Quebec City, and Toronto a few times, but never in fall. So, I just looked up on the Web. Yes, I found some spectacular photos taken there also.

I will definitely do a long RV trip to New England one fall season, and will be starting from even further west than TX. So many places to go, so little time (even in retirement!).

Talk about fall, it's time for this music, even if it has been posted a few times.

And if you've learned your lesson well
There's little more for her to tell
One last caress, it's time to dress for fall​

Summer of 42 - YouTube

Last edited:
Convict Lake in California.

Just got back from a hike around convict lake. my connection is lousy at the lodge so this is the only pic uploaded but the grove at the end of the lake has a bunch that are this color.

47207_3788130951122_234093048_n.jpg

Just shot this one today on a walk, the intense color struck me as interesting.

Attachments

• Photowalk_fall_color.jpg
    Photowalk_fall_color.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1
Fabulous pics! Your foliage looks to be just a week or so behind us.

As much as I grouse about the winter, having 4 true seasons is great.

It's hard to describe the visual magic of seeing a waterfall of leaves blowing off a tree in a medium breeze, drifting across a road or field, slowly circling down to the ground.

The flocks of migrating birds fly by in waves, changing direction and height in some sort of instinctive choreographed motion.

The previously all-green landscape comes ablaze in colors that would rival any skilled artist's pallet. Red, oranges, browns, yellows...in all hues. Everywhere I look, I am amazed at the glorious spectrum. It is hard to keep my eyes focused on the road while driving. I do a lot of pulling over.

Freebird,
What a beautiful post...very poetical.

In the low desert, here's my "fall color". It is only when it is cool enough like it is now, 96F high, 67F low, that our squash vine can blossom and bear fruits. The bees are very busy buzzing around the flowers. Do you know that a squash vine has both male and female flowers? I did not know that either.

My wife goes out and contemplates this vine every day, along with other plants like our two okra plants that produce 8 to 10 pods a day. Okra pods grow fast too!

img_1240054_0_4e647ba6bf577c8e5154bb563cc0497b.jpg

Last edited:
A small tree next door that usually comes out in bright red color in the fall. Last year we had a heavy rain at the peak that took off most of the leaves. This year I got some of it in time. I do think it's actually brighter today than yesterday so when the sunlight hits the entire tree I'll try again.

Attachments

• The_tree_next_door-1.jpg
    The_tree_next_door-1.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 3
  • The_tree_next_door-2.jpg
    The_tree_next_door-2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
  • The_tree_next_door-4.jpg
    The_tree_next_door-4.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2
img_1240764_0_178fdb917b1e9e3150bd71ed9ce2b5fc.jpg

From the deck of my camp at Woodhaven Lakes...in Sublette, Illinois
Yesterday was a beautiful day for biking... Spent several hours of slow riding on some of the 55 miles of roads and trails, inside the campground. Settled in the middle of a climax black oak forest, colors are sometimes not as bright, but this year was excellent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom