Join Early Retirement Today

Favorite Cities
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Favorite Cities

America's Favorite Cities 2007 | Travel + Leisure

Philadelphians finished last in the attractive category

Minneapolis has better weather than Chicago & Boston
San Diego has the best weather except when there is a fire.

there is even a category for coffee! - guess who's number 1...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Why is everyone so surprised that mpls. has great weather? If the truth were known we would have more people coming to mn. than florida and arizona combined. All minnesotans are taught from an early age to spread these rumors so we can have the twin cities to ourselves. Don't tell anyone were you heard this.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Why is everyone so surprised that mpls. has great weather? If the truth were known we would have more people coming to mn. than florida and arizona combined. All minnesotans are taught from an early age to spread these rumors so we can have the twin cities to ourselves. Don't tell anyone were you heard this.
I've been to MN... it does not have "great" weather year-round. Half the year... spring/fall definitely great weather. Summer/winter, I'll pass.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 AM   #4

Thank you so much for posting this as it is just what I needed right now.
Once I emailed Travel&Leisure about not being able to find their ratings from the past year. Something was wrong with their site, I think. Much to my amazement, the editor emailed me back the next day. Impressive!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #5

I'll take Buffalo pizza over chicago pizza any day.

I've had both, I prefer eating in Buffalo.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior View Post
I've been to MN... it does not have "great" weather year-round. Half the year... spring/fall definitely great weather. Summer/winter, I'll pass.
PW, you sound like a CA snob (or former Californian, you moved right?)

we just have hot/dry and cool/occasional rain as our seasons...if you can call them that. guess we should add smoky...used to just be smoggy!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think La Crosse, Wisconsin is a beautiful place........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I think La Crosse, Wisconsin is a beautiful place........
tis..the whole upper midwest is...people in San Diego should take note...but like mn54 said their perceived notion that winter up north is too horrible will keep them away probably....we mostly have our fires in the fireplace and fire ring here..there are exceptions but few people live anyway near the ones up in Boundary Waters, etc.

I love the weather here in MN...winter could be a month or 2 shorter, but global warming should take care of that..I did golf on Dec 10th here last year... By the way for those who didn't know already - I am from California - 13 years now in Mn and no urge to go back - too many people and too much traffic for starters...traded my 75 min commute on a good day for a sub 30 min one here
Old 10-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #9

since we're talking WI or MN, madison is a fun town, i like the capitol city/univ-town/lake combo there. and minnesotans were about the nicest people i ever met don't ya know!

as a native socalifornian, i always marvel at the beautiful, clear skies many other metropolosis' have instead of the smog (now smokey) skies!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always been a fan of the people of the upper midwest. Even in big city Chicago there is a refreshing lack of pretense and a friendly spirit.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #11

If I might interject here: Me, I think Chicago has worse weather than Minneapolis only because Minneapolis is steadier weatherwise. Meaning, they don't get those big arse gusts of wind coming from Lake Michigan that make little old ladies hang on to the edge of buildings so they don't fall (that's a true statement, by the way) or monsterous snowstorms that put the city into a halt very quickly and within a few hours.
On tv in Chicago they say "The Hawk is blowing," and it means the wind is really bad that day...and they mean that one! The wind goes right thru you if you are anywhere close to the Lake.
Chicago can get big, big snowstorms all of a sudden more than Minneapolis, which totally stops all public and private transportation, as I remember. Maybe this is why Minneapolis has a better rating?
Hint: Expect 2 colds minimum a year if you live in Chicago innercity by the Lake, which means stock up on zink!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
PW, you sound like a CA snob (or former Californian, you moved right?)

we just have hot/dry and cool/occasional rain as our seasons...if you can call them that. guess we should add smoky...used to just be smoggy!
Guilty, as charged. And I'm not saying that CA weather is any "better" just different. Some say it's "great" weather, but that depends on where you live and how much heat you can take. The fall and spring are very nice most of CA, but in most of the US fall and spring are nice.

People just trade off mostly the elements... wind/rain/snow/humidity/heat for their summer/winter months.

Though I will say here in the Pacific NW, the summer has been amazing. Not too hot, not too cold, not humid... light breezes. Perfect.

However, I'm well aware that winter will disqualify this area from the "great weather" category as well.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If I might interject here: Me, I think Chicago has worse weather than Minneapolis only because Minneapolis is steadier weatherwise. Meaning, they don't get those big arse gusts of wind coming from Lake Michigan that make little old ladies hang on to the edge of buildings so they don't fall (that's a true statement, by the way) or monsterous snowstorms that put the city into a halt very quickly and within a few hours.
On tv in Chicago they say "The Hawk is blowing," and it means the wind is really bad that day...and they mean that one! The wind goes right thru you if you are anywhere close to the Lake.
Chicago can get big, big snowstorms all of a sudden more than Minneapolis, which totally stops all public and private transportation, as I remember. Maybe this is why Minneapolis has a better rating?
Hint: Expect 2 colds minimum a year if you live in Chicago innercity by the Lake, which means stock up on zink!

You bring back "fond" memories of the Midwest, Orchid, I always enjoyed the expression, "cooler by the lake," especially in the summer, in all senses of the word, cool.