Favorite Information Sources

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
In addition to Wikipedia, there are many online sources for detailed information. Some, better than others.
The list is essentially infinite, but there are some that I have found to be particularly good, for different reasons. For starters, here are some of my favorites. Will be interested in yours....

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

IMDb - Movies, TV and Celebrities

Open Culture

Statistic Brain | Numbers  |  Percentages  |  Financials  |  Rankings | Statistic Brain

World Debt Clocks

Great idea for a thread (as usual!). :)

IMDB is a great resource.

Allrecipes - Recipes and cooking confidence for home cooks everywhere is where I go first when I don't have a recipe for a dish I want to cook or when I have ingredients that I want to use up. I use the iPad app, which allows you to search, filter by cuisine, "hold the......", course, etc. and build a recipe box.

For book reviews, Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and Goodreads Share Book Recommendations With Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia

For Canadians only....
Home - Service Canada
TaxTips.ca - The Facts on Tax for Canadians (I think there may be a US version too)

For travel, particularly accommodation, Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor

For techniques, e.g. home repairs, www.youtube.com. It's amazing how a simple video can make it clear!

Last edited:
If you're a boxing fan there is no better site than BoxRec.com. Its main database currently has some 1.77 million professional bouts recorded--with some 2,000 new and historical bouts added every week by its Editors. They are 99% Marquis of Queensberry bouts (i.e., gloved, vs. bare-knuckle) fought since the late 1800s.

It has all kinds of search options: by name, date, location, card/show, etc. (Some shows have its own Wiki page, that may link to an on-line newspaper source that documents that card.) All fights are cross-referenced by opponent, date, venue, etc.

BoxRec also has a sister Wikipedia--which has a search box and Help link on every page. or keep up with the Recent Changes to that Wiki. Or the new images added recently to the Wiki. Or the Photo Gallery.

If you visit a boxer's Wiki page, you can then go to his Boxing Record link, and enjoy the information offered there.

You can spend countless hours cross-referencing fights, or reading history in the Wiki. Or participating in its Forum. Good fun!

Great idea for a thread (as usual!). :)
+1
For techniques, e.g. home repairs, www.youtube.com. It's amazing how a simple video can make it clear!
A little off topic, but one I've found that the information posted on "eHow" is particularly poor. I think maybe it is "provided content" from overseas, and much of it appears to be wrong or incomplete. There's some good stuff, but I always look at it with a suspicious eye now.

Our site right here is a good "heads-up" source for info well beyond ER. If something big is happening, there's a good chance someone will post about it on this board.

For politics, political news, editorials, polls, etc. (left, right, and center): Real Clear Politics.com http://www.realclearpolitics.comhttp://http://www.realclearpolitics.com/?state=nwa

Last edited:
My wife informs me of all I need to know :cool: .....

Heck - we're both reading different sections of the same newspaper, and she has to tell me what she is reading (along with her opinion of the article), while I'm reading another article and am trying to "digest" it.

She hasen't yet learned (after 44+ years) that I can't multi-task :facepalm: ...

Sometimes I just give up and put the newspaper away...

Heck - we're both reading different sections of the same newspaper, and she has to tell me what she is reading (along with her opinion of the article), while I'm reading another article and am trying to "digest" it.

And you are posting here @ the same time also...

Drudge Roport ~up to date semi info

Last edited:
mystery_news.png

Just stumbled across this one .... Numbeo

Cost of Living in United States. Prices in United States.

A member based information site, so much of the info is empirically based.

Cost of living. US Cities, and ExPat cities all over the world. Am just beginning to explore the website, and so far, looks very enlightening... Choose currencies, cities etc, and it shows a comparison of individual costs, such as cost of a beer, housing, taxi costs and many many common expenditures. Particularly interesting in that doing some international comparisons, while costs of food, for instance, may be very low... that may be more than offset by fuel or housing.

My look up was a comprison of NYC and Shanghai.

The site also compares things like property prices, crime, healthcare pollution, traffic and quality of life.

You'll need to spend a few minutes to find your way around the options. For anyone thinking about visiting or moving, a wealth of information.

(thanks for the dead or alive search page... had forgotten about that... a good site, especially for those of us who are now distanced from so many people who influenced our past.) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom