Join Early Retirement Today

Favorite Information Sources
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Favorite Information Sources

In addition to Wikipedia, there are many online sources for detailed information. Some, better than others.
The list is essentially infinite, but there are some that I have found to be particularly good, for different reasons. For starters, here are some of my favorites. Will be interested in yours....

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...orld-factbook/

IMDb - Movies, TV and Celebrities

Open Culture

Statistic Brain | Numbers**|**Percentages**|**Financials**|**Ranking s | Statistic Brain

World Debt Clocks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great idea for a thread (as usual!).

IMDB is a great resource.

Allrecipes - Recipes and cooking confidence for home cooks everywhere is where I go first when I don't have a recipe for a dish I want to cook or when I have ingredients that I want to use up. I use the iPad app, which allows you to search, filter by cuisine, "hold the......", course, etc. and build a recipe box.

For book reviews, Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and Goodreads Share Book Recommendations With Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia

For Canadians only....
Home - Service Canada
TaxTips.ca - The Facts on Tax for Canadians (I think there may be a US version too)

For travel, particularly accommodation, Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor

For techniques, e.g. home repairs, www.youtube.com. It's amazing how a simple video can make it clear!

Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you're a boxing fan there is no better site than BoxRec.com. Its main database currently has some 1.77 million professional bouts recorded--with some 2,000 new and historical bouts added every week by its Editors. They are 99% Marquis of Queensberry bouts (i.e., gloved, vs. bare-knuckle) fought since the late 1800s.

It has all kinds of search options: by name, date, location, card/show, etc. (Some shows have its own Wiki page, that may link to an on-line newspaper source that documents that card.) All fights are cross-referenced by opponent, date, venue, etc.

BoxRec also has a sister Wikipedia--which has a search box and Help link on every page. or keep up with the Recent Changes to that Wiki. Or the new images added recently to the Wiki. Or the Photo Gallery.

If you visit a boxer's Wiki page, you can then go to his Boxing Record link, and enjoy the information offered there.

You can spend countless hours cross-referencing fights, or reading history in the Wiki. Or participating in its Forum. Good fun!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Great idea for a thread (as usual!).
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
For techniques, e.g. home repairs, www.youtube.com. It's amazing how a simple video can make it clear!
A little off topic, but one I've found that the information posted on "eHow" is particularly poor. I think maybe it is "provided content" from overseas, and much of it appears to be wrong or incomplete. There's some good stuff, but I always look at it with a suspicious eye now.

Our site right here is a good "heads-up" source for info well beyond ER. If something big is happening, there's a good chance someone will post about it on this board.

For politics, political news, editorials, polls, etc. (left, right, and center): Real Clear Politics.com http://www.realclearpolitics.com
Old 11-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
gone traveling

My wife informs me of all I need to know .....

Heck - we're both reading different sections of the same newspaper, and she has to tell me what she is reading (along with her opinion of the article), while I'm reading another article and am trying to "digest" it.

She hasen't yet learned (after 44+ years) that I can't multi-task ...

Sometimes I just give up and put the newspaper away...
Old 11-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heck - we're both reading different sections of the same newspaper, and she has to tell me what she is reading (along with her opinion of the article), while I'm reading another article and am trying to "digest" it.
And you are posting here @ the same time also...

Drudge Roport ~up to date semi info

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

National Enquirer?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Old 11-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The title says it all.....

Dead or Alive? - Search Page
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just stumbled across this one .... Numbeo

Cost of Living in United States. Prices in United States.

A member based information site, so much of the info is empirically based.

Cost of living. US Cities, and ExPat cities all over the world. Am just beginning to explore the website, and so far, looks very enlightening... Choose currencies, cities etc, and it shows a comparison of individual costs, such as cost of a beer, housing, taxi costs and many many common expenditures. Particularly interesting in that doing some international comparisons, while costs of food, for instance, may be very low... that may be more than offset by fuel or housing.

My look up was a comprison of NYC and Shanghai.

The site also compares things like property prices, crime, healthcare pollution, traffic and quality of life.

You'll need to spend a few minutes to find your way around the options. For anyone thinking about visiting or moving, a wealth of information.

(thanks for the dead or alive search page... had forgotten about that... a good site, especially for those of us who are now distanced from so many people who influenced our past.)