Favorite Movie Music

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The current thread on dementia got me thinking of the more common memory fade as we age. I cannot explain it, but I often think of this well-known painting "The Persistence of Memory" by Salvador Dali.

the-persistence-of-memory-c1931-print-c10278393.jpeg

But I digress from the intended theme of this thread, "Movie Music". It might be just an excuse for me to post a favorite song of mine which also relates to memory, brought up by the aforementioned thread about the loss of the latter, actually.

It is "The Windmills of Your Mind", in the movie "The Thomas Crown Affair" originally starring Steve McQueen.
Was the sound of distant drumming
Just the fingers of your hand?
Pictures hanging in a hallway
Or the fragment of a song
Half-remembered names and faces
but to whom do they belong?
When you knew that it was over
Were you suddenly aware
That the autumn leaves were turning
To the colour of her hair?​

From Wikipedia:
The Windmills of Your Mind" (Les moulins de mon cœur) is a song with words and music by Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman and Michel Legrand from the 1968 film The Thomas Crown Affair. Noel Harrison performed the song for the film score. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1968. (Harrison's father, the British actor Rex Harrison, had performed the previous year's Oscar-winning "Talk to the Animals").

Dusty Springfield's version of the song is also well known; this version reached #31 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and #3 on the Billboard adult contemporary chart in 1969.[1] This recording also appears on the soundtrack to Breakfast on Pluto (2006). Other artists who have covered the song include Alison Moyet, Swing Out Sister, Edward Woodward and Sting, whose version was used in the 1999 remake of the same film.​

I have listened to Dusty Springfield's rendition and of course Sting's in the movie remake, but my favorite has always been one by Neil Diamond, though it is not as popular as the others, and I have not found it on youtube.

YouTube - Windmills of your Mind - Movie Version HQ

Timely thread for the American Idol viewers as next week's theme is movie music. Here's one of my favorites. The movie Philadelphia blew me away and made me realize what a terrific actor Tom Hanks is. Springsteen's song perfectly matched the mood of the movie. Beautiful music and haunting lyrics.

I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt.
I was unrecognizable to myself.
I saw my reflection in a window, I didn't know my own face.
Oh brother are you gonna leave me wastin' away
On the Streets of Philadelphia.

I walked the avenue, 'til my legs felt like stone,
I heard the voices of friends vanished and gone,
At night I could hear the blood in my veins,
Black and whispering as the rain,
On the Streets of Philadelphia.

Ain't no angel gonna greet me.
It's just you and I my friend.
My clothes don't fit me no more,
I walked a thousand miles
Just to slip this skin.

The night has fallen, I'm lyin' awake,
I can feel myself fading away,
So receive me brother with your faithless kiss,
Or will we leave each other alone like this
On the Streets of Philadelphia

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia

I know there many movies and theme songs that I really like but I guess my all time favorite is "Dances With Wolves". The music is great but the main song is called "The John Dunbar Theme". Pulled this up on Google awhile back and there must be twenty named music themes in the movie but the one most people relate to is John Dunbar.

Last edited:
I know there many movies and theme songs that I really like but I guess my all time favorite is "Dances With Wolves". The music is great but the main song is called "The John Dunbar Theme". Pulled this up on Google awhile back and there must be twenty named music themes in the movie but the one most people relate to is John Dunbar.

Here’s one marred by a controversial(?) moment at :47.

YouTube - Dances With Wolves - The John Dunbar Theme

There are so many good wolf movies. So many that I put them in a separate category, called, you got it, “wolf movies.” Guess they all must have music. Utube has a good one from "Never Cry Wolf" but they don't allow embedding.

Phil Phillips and the Twilights...

You are a true romantic:smitten: bbbami too with the theme song from Titanic. Both these songs really get to me.

Perhaps someone needs to start a "best love songs" thread.

cinema paradiso

This was such a lovely film.

YouTube - cinema paradiso

I had to dig for this but this is one of my favorite Westerns. Of course I'll watch anything with Gregory Peck in it.

Another internationally known song by Michel Legrand is the theme song of the movie "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" (The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh). The slow pace of this musical movie would not make it an American favorite. However, people who admire Catherine Deneuve would not want to miss seeing her in her youth. I think Haha has expressed an admiration. ;)

This song was what introduced Michel Legrand to the American music lovers. Connie Francis is one of my favorite singers, from when I was growing up.

YouTube - I Will Wait For You - Kingdom Hearts

A scene from the movie follows.

YouTube - Les Parapluies de Cherbourg

I have a record of the violinist Stephane Grappelli performing this. It would make one weep, but it could not be found on youtube.

Yes, "Love Story". Who in our age group wouldn't know that movie and its theme song?

The only problem was that I listened to it so much in my early years that the listening lasts me a lifetime already. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom