Favorite Pancake Hack

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Def. Hack - to skillfully modify a computer program; to skillfully change an object often in usual or unexpected ways to make it more than it was.

Pigs in a blanket would be a pancake hack but we all know that one.

What is your favorite Pancake Hack?

I recently tried pouring a layer of pancake dough onto the grill, then on top of that dough pouring a thin layer of berry compote to cover the inner 50% of the pancake, then pouring another layer of pancake dough onto the top so as to cover the compote and seal the edges. Yummy, but the compote needs to be thick or it won't flip well.

My favorite of all time was changing a X'47' to a X'07'.

Other than using whole wheat mix, and throwing in a handful of blueberries, nothing fancy here, pancake-wise.

Def. Hack - to skillfully modify a computer program; to skillfully change an object often in usual or unexpected ways to make it more than it was.

Pigs in a blanket would be a pancake hack but we all know that one.

What is your favorite Pancake Hack?

I recently tried pouring a layer of pancake dough onto the grill, then on top of that dough pouring a thin layer of berry compote to cover the inner 50% of the pancake, then pouring another layer of pancake dough onto the top so as to cover the compote and seal the edges. Yummy, but the compote needs to be thick or it won't flip well.

Similar to your invention, IHOP (International House Of Pancakes ,its a chain), had stuffed french toast, strawberries sweetened cream cheese.. It was decadent, glutinous, everything I adore:LOL:. With a never ending pot of coffee it could be my last meal.

Buttermilk pancakes (joyofbaking.com) with freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest in the batter. Drop on a few raspberries while the first side is cooking. Drizzle with maple syrup.

Buttermilk pancakes (joyofbaking.com) with freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest in the batter. Drop on a few raspberries while the first side is cooking. Drizzle with maple syrup.

..........followed immediately with a 5-6 hour hike over challenging terrain. Blackberries/blueberries are a suitable substitution/addition.

McCormick makes a seasoning Butter, Nut, and Nilla. Not easy to find around here.. It also has yellow coloring in it, and a teaspoon of this makes your pancakes taste more like yellow cake.

McCormick makes a seasoning Butter, Nut, and Nilla. Not easy to find around here.. It also has yellow coloring in it, and a teaspoon of this makes your pancakes taste more like yellow cake.

Ah, the nuclear option. :D

Sausage Roll Up - stolen idea from The Pancake House, I think. Cook pancake. Place cooked link sausage in middle. Cover with sweetened strawberries or other tangy fruit. "Roll up" and add your favorite topping/syrup/powdered sugar/whipped toping, etc. Enjoy.

DH's favorite pancake hack is to cook extra, then freeze the leftovers. Then he can have pancakes for breakfast on another day without any fuss.

The South weighing in here...

Sausage dogs. Dip sausage links in extra thick pancake batter and lower 'em into the deep fryer until golden brown. Then, dip in real maple syrup!

Like bjorn2Bwild, a hike of 4-6 miles is required penance for said sins of decadent indulgence. :dance:

The South weighing in here...

Sausage dogs. Dip sausage links in extra thick pancake batter and lower 'em into the deep fryer until golden brown. Then, dip in real maple syrup!

Like bjorn2Bwild, a hike of 4-6 miles is required penance for said sins of decadent indulgence. :dance:

You're killing me.... yum and so over the top.

OTOH DS makes little pancakes from a gluten-free mix they get at Whole Foods (I know, I know) that are as good as any I've ever had.

My tip/hack--the longer you can let the batter rest (overnight is good) the better the pancakes are.

May not qualify, but mine is the Breakfast Sandwich, I don't remember when/where I had it first. Layer pancake, over easy egg, pancake, 2-3 strips bacon, over easy egg, pancake, butter, maple syrup - yum. Didn't think I'd like it until I tried it, now it's my preferred "pancake hack."

And our favorite somewhat healthy pancake hack, cottage cheese pancakes, lighter than traditional pancakes. You'd never know cottage cheese was an ingredient, they disappear...

Last edited:
SOURDOUGH

First time I made sourdough pancakes I thought they were the best thing I ever ate. Never had any other kind that could remotely compare.

I seldom make them anymore because I try to limit carbs as much as possible, but for an occasional treat there is nothing like fresh made sourdough pancakes. The only thing that comes close is leftover sourdough pancakes.

Obviously, the only way to serve them is with butter (optional) and real maple syrup. Bacon is the preferred side dish, also dipped in the maple syrup.

I just breakfasted on lemon buttermilk blueberry pancakes with grilled bacon. I made my own "buttermilk" using milk and lemon juice. So good! And there is leftover batter for tomorrow.

SOURDOUGH

First time I made sourdough pancakes I thought they were the best thing I ever ate. Never had any other kind that could remotely compare.

+1

Plus, now that I've started a sourdough starter, this is a great use for the starter that would normally be discarded when feeding it.

Not a hack, per se, but I found that whole wheat pastry flour makes wonderful pancakes. Actually, we settled on half WW pastry flour and half AP. With blueberries. YUM

Our Sunday morning ritual.

I have to do gluten/dairy free and love the Namaste pancake mix. Recently I mixed in chopped pears and nutmeg. That was a surprisingly yummy combo with warm maple syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Remove kernels of leftover corn from the cob and toss them in the batter. This comes from growing up in a house where you just don't waste food. Kinda like the idea of bread pudding.

Remove kernels of leftover corn from the cob and toss them in the batter. This comes from growing up in a house where you just don't waste food. Kinda like the idea of bread pudding.

I think my mom called these corn fritters. I loved 'em with butter and syrup. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom