Favorite Weather Ap?

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have four on my iPhone right now so am thinking of ditching Yahoo! and the one that came with the phone. I plan to keep Weatherbug and Weather Now which displays current temp without opening the ap.
Am I missing any good ones? I would really like to view heating and cooling degree data since they removed it from the daily paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I mostly use the NOAA website, bookmarked to my specific area. Their hourly forecast chart is incredibly useful for planning the next 48 hours. I also have a local TV station app, but I only use it for the variety of very high quality radar images.

Is there such thing as a "favorite" weather app? Any app that simply lets you know what the weather is shouldnt be a favorite of anything.

I'd there an app or website that tells you that exact location of the weather station? Normally I just use the Google box but it doesn't say.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'd there an app or website that tells you that exact location of the weather station? Normally I just use the Google box but it doesn't say.

Weatherunderground is best for this (on the webpage). It will report locally owned (private stations) as well for quite specific conditions. However, some folks don't understand that you can't mount your weather station in the sun and expect an accurate reading! :facepalm:

I use an aviation weather app...it shows weather at the local AF base and will be the most accurate (and is about 6 miles as the crow flies) from the house, so the conditions there are darn close to what they are here.

Here's an example of the weather stations that are within a few miles of my house (from Weatherunderground).

Attachments

• WX.jpg
    WX.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Is there such thing as a "favorite" weather app? Any app that simply lets you know what the weather is shouldnt be a favorite of anything.

? Not following you on this.

Weatherbug has several schools in my area that I can choose from but I don't believe these are official weather stations e.g. the reporting equipment and protocol may be different. It's not too critical to me but I don't see the official station used by NOAA for heating and cooling degree data.

Last edited:
Weatherunderground is best for this (on the webpage). It will report locally owned (private stations) as well for quite specific conditions. However, some folks don't understand that you can't mount your weather station in the sun and expect an accurate reading! :facepalm:

Thanks for pointing this out. I've used weather underground before but never noticed that I could switch stations.

Wunderground has been very accurate for our area, even up on Mt Baker, for today and the next and sometimes the day after that. We also use it for Portland and Seattle.

The best one for Baku was Russian. I could understand the symbols for rain and wind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Just installed Dark Sky. A very nice app.

Boom. As a runner/rider/swimmer, I like the "microforecasting" that lets me know when rain is expected around the house, rather than the general area. It's bailed DW and I out a few times needing to walk the dogs before rain hits.

The downside (other than the fact it's a one-time pay app), is that it can drain the battery if you leave it open all the time. So generally, if I'm expecting to be outside, I leave it open so I can get the warnings...

In reality, the warnings have less value 10 out of 12 months in San Diego, but they've been useful in "normal" places that have "crappy" weather. :cool:

I mostly use the NOAA website, bookmarked to my specific area.
Pow. Same when I'm on the computer. I use NOAA quite a bit, also for maritime forecasts for work.

Ah, Dark Sky. Would be great if it was accurate, but it isn't. Constantly wrong, at least in Seattle. I prefer more accurate data from apps like NOAA SuperRes or Radarscope

The downside (other than the fact it's a one-time pay app), is that it can drain the battery if you leave it open all the time. So generally, if I'm expecting to be outside, I leave it open so I can get the warnings...

Not sure if you are on iOS or Android, but on iOS you can enable notifications and you get the warning regardless of if the app is running.

Accuweather.. because of hourly forecasts and pinpoint radar. Most trusted. We use it to plan our day when we're out of the house, and to choose Saturday or Sunday for family gatherings.

Local Weather from AccuWeather.com - Superior Accuracyâ„¢

Weather Underground... Incredible amount of information, not just for forecast, but long range statistical projections, and historical data that can be addictive.
Easy to spend an hour or more. After years of use, still finding new, interesting stuff.

Another Dark Sky fan here. The only other ap I use is MyRadar to see if a storm is on its way (and guestimate when I can plan on future storm relief)

Am I missing any good ones? I would really like to view heating and cooling degree data since they removed it from the daily paper.
Another vote for WeatherUnderground. I especially like their chart depiction for the forecast for the coming 10 days--temps, winds, expected precip are all on a very intuitive graphic. Though I don't trust any forecast much beyond 5 days--after that I suspect it's more climatology than weather.

A gripe about the way newspapers give the forecast weather:
"Tuesday: High of 87, Low of 60" Now, I can guess the 87 will likely occur on Tuesday afternoon, but when is it going to be 60? The night of Mon-Tues, or the night of Tues-Wed? And when I look at a more detailed graph, the "60" sometimes actually occurs at about 4AM on Wednesday, which apparently is considered "Tuesday night":(.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom