Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
That's for no other reason than since officers don't always show up, the more chances you give them to not show up, the better your odds are of them not showing up at some point. Its a colossal waste of taxpayer money since the officer gets paid overtime every time they show up and you get the court date reset for some reason, but in this case nobody seems to mind that trying to get out of a ticket is costing everyone else money.
Agree, but this is a whole different subject.
I'd be happy to pay and I will (I set $300 limit + traffic school option). I am afraid it will be more. Why traffic tickets are so expensive in CA SF? And then they run "amnesty programs"? (that was a rhetorical of cause)

Sounds like counties like SF are setting up the field for people to play games.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a speeding ticket in a different county in CA last year. I paid the ticket, did the online traffic school and passed the test. The info that came from the court said if I passed the traffic school, no point would be applied to my drivers license.

I thought I would get away with my auto insurance bit finding out about my ticket until they sent me a questionnaire about my annual mileage and asked whether I had any recent speeding tickets. I replied honestly and my insurance did NOT increase.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #23

Appearing for traffic court is a good deal. When you get the subpoena , first, schedule a vacation day , then ,inform your supervisor you must appear on that day, soo, now you get 4 hrs. min pay at time and a half , plus your vacation pay., for 4 hrs work. Again, I wish I was joking.

Unless you really did screw up when you issued the citation, the witness box is no big deal. And be sure to review the audio recording you kept of the of the interaction with the citizen you cited, so you can " Remember " in court. When you issue 10-20 per day, it's very foolish not to record. Body cameras are not yet sop.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #24

duplicate. oops
Old 10-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You can pay some lawyer a bunch of money to try to beat the ticket by attacking the officers credibility after getting a copy of his personnel record or by challenging whether or not his radar gun was calibrated in the correct time frame and to the correct tolerances, but that rarely works and then you will paying the lawyers fees on top of court costs and the fine.
That's really interesting..... It sounds like all the parties involved have failed to learn to cooperate and the system is confrontational.

Here in Chicago, and in many of the suburbs within Cook County, traffic court defense attorneys work at the whim of the judges, politically appointed bailiffs, prosecutors and related politicians and court officials. These attorneys charge substantial fees to violators who must beat the ticket or face serious consequences such as loss of their DL or jail time.

There generally isn't a fact-based defense, an attack on the officer's credibility or other lame attempt to prove "innocence." Rather, something just "happens." The court date is rescheduled and the officer (surprise, surprise) doesn't appear on that new date. A group of defendants (all represented by the same defense attorney - surprise, surprise) might be brought before the judge as a group and be told that due to "technical issues" the case against them is being dropped. Etc.

There is an amazing lack of adversity between the defense attorneys, their clients and the rest of the system. Something seems to be lubricating any points of friction........
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

In winemaker country, you must pay the fine to take your case to court. However, so I have been told, that you overpay by a small amount, say 79 cents. If you are found guilty, you have paid the fine, and they issue you a refund check for the 79 cents. Destroy the check, and because "no job's done til the paperwork's done", no points, and no insurance referral.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #27

When I lived in CA, they had a traffic school option where the violation would not count as a point on your record, and shouldn't ding your insurance. You do, though, have to pay the full fine amount (until a budget crisis a couple decades ago, you didn't even have to do that.)

I don't know if CA has deferred adjudication. I got stopped a few years back here in Texas and was given a ticket (I was pretty sure I came to a full stop, but maybe not, I admit to being slightly distracted at the time looking for an address.) I did have to pay the fine (about $150) and pled out with deferred adjudication, which means that after 90 days passed, if I had no other moving violations or criminal arrests I could sign a notarized statement to that effect and give it to the court, and the charge was dismissed and didn't hit the driving record.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Why traffic tickets are so expensive in CA SF?
Tickets are cheaper in MN, but I see backgrounds all the time of people that just do not pay them. Worse case, they revoke your license, which on many people is revoked anyway.

If you are in a hardship situation, community service might be an option.

Court fines, taxes, insurance, credit scores etc. are only for the well-to-do that care about their future.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Appearing for traffic court is a good deal. When you get the subpoena , first, schedule a vacation day , then ,inform your supervisor you must appear on that day, soo, now you get 4 hrs. min pay at time and a half , plus your vacation pay., for 4 hrs work. Again, I wish I was joking.

Unless you really did screw up when you issued the citation, the witness box is no big deal. And be sure to review the audio recording you kept of the of the interaction with the citizen you cited, so you can " Remember " in court. When you issue 10-20 per day, it's very foolish not to record. Body cameras are not yet sop.
Again, that might work in whatever city you live but where I worked for 24 years you cant take a vacation day and get paid overtime in the same day.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #30

Can't speak for S.F., but I suggest you get an attorney. Back east, here, the traffic defense attorneys cut a deal for some non-moving offense (i.e., presuming the original ticket is not for an egregious offense like doing 50 mph in a school zone).
A small fringe benefit is that represented defendants get their cases adjudicated first, so you're not wasting close to an entire day.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Tickets are cheaper in MN, ....
... and in SF $600+, not bad a?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote