Parking Tickets

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A few weeks ago we went for a mid-week date in our home town to grab lunch and see a movie. We have one "main" street and most of the businesses are within a 4 to 5 block section of that street. Typical small town. We have always parked in the same spot a couple blocks up the hill away from town, but that particular day our usual spaces were full, so I parked on the other side of the street. There was a big work truck blocking the parking limit sign, so I didn't see it and wasn't really paying attention since we were having a good day. Unfortunately, when we were walking back to the car I saw the sign and thought "oh no... Well, I guess it won't be that bad", and mentally added it to the cost of our day out.

Keep in mind, the only other parking ticket I've ever had was over 25 years ago and only cost $5 at the time. But nope, this parking ticket was $30. Ouch. Talk about inflation. :) But, my mistake, so I paid it.

Still, it seems odd that our town tries to encourage people to support our local shops, but then places a 2 hour limit on all of the parking spaces. Heck, most movies take longer than that and even grabbing lunch can get near that limit. A 4 hour limit would make more sense, or install parking meters where we could pay for more time if we know we'll be in town longer.

So, now I'm searching the areas around the edges of town to try and find free parking spaces, or at least ones with longer time limits we won't exceed. That will probably mean parking four blocks up the hill, not a big deal for us, but it sure isn't senior friendly (the folks who are most likely to be downtown during a weekday). Not to mention there's no real street lighting up there in the evening.

One other oddity, the ticket only mentioned paying by mail. I had to search through the city web site to find their online payment page. I'm surprised they don't list it right on the ticket.

Keep in mind, the only other parking ticket I've ever had was over 25 years ago and only cost $5 at the time. But nope, this parking ticket was $30. Ouch. Talk about inflation. :) But, my mistake, so I paid it.
the last parking ticket I got was in NYC I want to say 2014. Daughter was dancing in a recital and the teacher wanted to give the girls a "you danced in NYC" experience, so we had to schlep into Manhattan on Sunday. Never forget it. snowed the night before and was bitter cold.

We dropped her off what seems like 4 hours before the show, grabbed lunch, went to McSorley's for a beer (oldest tavern in NYC) and then some art exhibit.

I topped off the meter before heading back to the theater and set a timer. waiting for the final act and watching the clock, finally, couldn't wait and darted out to top off the meter...that feeling watching the meter maid/ticket agent walking away from your car. I was 2 or 3 minutes late.

Anyway, I can't find the expense in quickbooks, but being NYC it was more than $30. I want to say 45 or 60, and being surprised it wasn't over 100.

They will eventually get caught up with the times. The trend almost everywhere is to mark parking spots/areas with signs and pay with an app on your phone. The app normally lets you extend the time if needed, so it's quite convenient IMHO. There is also usually a QR code on the signs that lets you download the app, much more user-friendly than the older method of paying at a kiosk and placing the paper receipt on your dashboard.

Still, it seems odd that our town tries to encourage people to support our local shops, but then places a 2 hour limit on all of the parking spaces. Heck, most movies take longer than that and even grabbing lunch can get near that limit. A 4 hour limit would make more sense, or install parking meters where we could pay for more time if we know we'll be in town longer.
I recently read a book on Parking, a recommendation in the What Have You Recently Read thread here on this site. Forget the exact name and will find it if you are interested.

they discussed the point of free parking, 2 hour, 4 hour, parking garages, the whole thing. It was very interesting.

Chicago sold off their parking meters to an investment fund.

anyway, yes, the ability to pay from your seat is nice. I desperately try to avoid having to pay for parking at meters for this reason, but being able to add another hour from your phone is very nice.

Still, it seems odd that our town tries to encourage people to support our local shops, but then places a 2 hour limit on all of the parking spaces.

If your town places a 2 hour limit on all of the parking spaces, it seems like you shouldn't have been surprised to see the sign indicating that the space you were parked in was limited to 2 hours.

Usually those time limitations are put in place so that shop owners, employees and others that are going to be there all day don't take all the spaces leaving none for folks who just want shorter term parking to dine or shop. But whether that limitation should be 2 hours, 3 hours or 4 hours I don't know.

Glad your fine was only $30. Here in Chicago, a notorious private company, licensed by the city, would have towed your car and you would have paid $100's to get it back.

This sign, a blast from the past, from the Lincoln Towing Service inspired Steve Goodman to write "Lincoln Park Pirates."

Attachments

• 800px-20070822_Lincoln_Towing_Sign_w_new_prices.jpg
    800px-20070822_Lincoln_Towing_Sign_w_new_prices.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The only parking I have paid for in the past decade was a short trip to Seattle.

It is quite funny though because you either get towed or a ticket if you park in the wrong spot or too long UNLESS you have a few blankets in the back seat and a pail of poop by the car door.

The only parking I have paid for in the past decade was a short trip to Seattle.

It is quite funny though because you either get towed or a ticket if you park in the wrong spot or too long UNLESS you have a few blankets in the back seat and a pail of poop by the car door.

It has to be in a pail? Not just in a pile? Fussy, fussy........

Last edited:

Do these Seattle spots have mailing addresses?:D

The metered parking spots and downtown parking garages in our town are free on the weekend. I believe the downtown businesses lobbied the city Politburo in order to encourage non-business traffic on the weekends.

_B

My fair city replaced meters with pay kiosks several years ago. The first hour is free which covers my rare excursions downtown. Nothing in my small city to warrant anything over an hour.

One of my pet peeves while w*rking downtown was co-captives who were too cheap to pay for monthly parking. In those days the meter person would put a chalk mark on a tire to gage when the allotted time was up, so my comrades would have to go downstairs every two hours and check for a chalk mark. If there was one, they would move the car. Meanwhile, I was up on the 19th floor slaving away while they were galavanting about town.

It has been a while since either of us have gotten a parking ticket. Most of the small towns around us having downtown parking lots or garages with tickets or kiosks. I prefer those to parking in the street, so I do not have to deal with watching the time to go feed a meter via cash or app. We are still healthy so that walking a bit does not bother us, in fact in the towns it is sometimes fun to walk around more. A common "date night" for us spring through fall is having dinner and then exploring the town a bit to walk it off, before heading back to the car.

There is one town that we go to a restaurant monthly for a luncheon and speaker. The shopping area the restaurant is located has many signs posted saying 2 hour parking limit. If we get there for the pre-lunch social time, lunch, and speaker, we would be there for close to 3 hours. While we have ever seen anyone ticket or tow cars, I usually duck out before the speaker (still under 2 hours), drive the car around the block, and then park in a different space, just in case :LOL:.

A few of them have apps for parking on the street, I do not use them that often for the towns. However, I always use the SpotHero app when I have to park in big cities, I'd rather BTD to reserve a place without concern about getting a ticket :).

We're planning another lunch and movie date this Wednesday, but this time I found a map of free all day parking spaces around town. It's a slightly longer walk, but no big deal. The biggest issue is whether any spots will be available. :)

You all are going to think I'm such a "goodie two-shoes", but TBH I have never been given a parking ticket. :blush:

NYC, summer of 2017. parking ticket $105.
Back in the dark ages, while in college, folks with cars would park at the meter in town and accept the ticket. $3. A ticket on campus would cost $5.

A few weeks ago we went for a mid-week date in our home town to grab lunch and see a movie. We have one "main" street and most of the businesses are within a 4 to 5 block section of that street. Typical small town. We have always parked in the same spot a couple blocks up the hill away from town, but that particular day our usual spaces were full, so I parked on the other side of the street. There was a big work truck blocking the parking limit sign, so I didn't see it and wasn't really paying attention since we were having a good day. Unfortunately, when we were walking back to the car I saw the sign and thought "oh no... Well, I guess it won't be that bad", and mentally added it to the cost of our day out.

So, now I'm searching the areas around the edges of town to try and find free parking spaces, or at least ones with longer time limits we won't exceed. That will probably mean parking four blocks up the hill, not a big deal for us, but it sure isn't senior friendly (the folks who are most likely to be downtown during a weekday). Not to mention there's no real street lighting up there in the evening.

One other oddity, the ticket only mentioned paying by mail. I had to search through the city web site to find their online payment page. I'm surprised they don't list it right on the ticket.

Paying for parking sucks. Vomit. FREE parking everywhere needs to be in the Bill Of Rights. And what you've offered reminds me that in many locations now, cities and towns have privatized the meters. The municipality sells-off the rights to the meters to get hold of a bunch of money quick--- maybe to plug a hole in the budget. Then the PRIVATE outfit jacks up parking rates and dictates how much violators will pay. We are taking it in the shorts, everywhere we turn.:mad:

Just some thoughts from an active transportation advocate. On street parking, reduces/eliminates space for non-motorized vehicles. Depending how it is managed, especially near corners, it can add to fatalities of peds and 2 wheel vehicles.

Where I live for example, street parking permits are distributed upon request. Even if you have an assigned space in a rental or a driveway in a private home, you can easily qualify for street parking. Consequently, streets become very narrow for those practicing active transportation. A person who may want to actually use the street with their bicycle for transportation will be concerned since they will be required to ride in the unprotected lane to the left of parked cars.

This usually encourages people to comment that there are not many people who practice active transportation which is not an unfair comment. But, the discussion rarely involves the impact of parking habits on those numbers. If our streets were used mostly for transportation vs motor vehicle storage that would make a significant improvement to the safety of active transportation and the number of participants.

As pointed out in earlier posts, cities are taking a closer look at making our streets safer for all users. It seems a change in our parking expectations will play an important role in the health and well being of our country.

My last parking ticket was for backing into a space where a sign I couldn't see said not to. I got out of it in court.

Maybe a visit to a city hall is in order? Or write to the Mayor with you thoughts. This might be one of those things that will never change if no one is thinking of the problem.

Too many cars. Be thankful all you have to do is drive around forever, find a spot, pay, and get ticketed or towed. In Copenhagen, the tax to have a car is 200%. Yes, you pay 3x for a car. True city dwellers often give up on car ownership. But, ahem, back to the topic, I meant this post to be about phone apps like spothero and the like. Maybe they have info to help find spots with more than a two hour limit.

I've only ever gotten a parking ticket once, while visiting Philly with DW. We overstayed our parking meter by literally less than 5 minutes -- we walked up to leave as the parking enforcement gal was writing the ticket. But she was unsympathetic, and it was like... $50 or something ridiculous like that. The meter was electronic, but didn't have an app-enabled payment system, which are at least easier to manage.

I've never lived in a heavy urban area, but every time I visit one, it seems like parking tickets are viewed as par for the course in big cities like that ... like it's assumed you'll get them periodically. I hate paying for parking, and I will go to sometimes silly lengths to avoid it, perhaps merely out of principle.

I've only ever gotten a parking ticket once, while visiting Philly with DW. We overstayed our parking meter by literally less than 5 minutes -- we walked up to leave as the parking enforcement gal was writing the ticket. But she was unsympathetic, and it was like... $50 or something ridiculous like that. The meter was electronic, but didn't have an app-enabled payment system, which are at least easier to manage.

I've never lived in a heavy urban area, but every time I visit one, it seems like parking tickets are viewed as par for the course in big cities like that ... like it's assumed you'll get them periodically. I hate paying for parking, and I will go to sometimes silly lengths to avoid it, perhaps merely out of principle.

Have you ever seen the show "Parking Wars"? Most of the seasons were filmed in Philadelphia. after watching it, I resolved to *never* park on the streets of Philly. The show was entertaining, though :).

Years ago I gave up parking on the streets of Boston. It did not matter how much I tried to read the signs. There was always a ticket for something tucked under the wiper when I returned. Nowadays I take the T whenever possible or find a parking garage if I do have to drive.

But, ahem, back to the topic, I meant this post to be about phone apps like spothero and the like. Maybe they have info to help find spots with more than a two hour limit.

I use SpotHero regularly, when I have no choice but to drive in and park in a city. It is very convenient. You put in the address you are looking to park near, and the amount of hours you expect to stay, and it will display all the nearby parking lot/garage options and their cost. It will also show if you can stay longer than what you specified at the same price. You select a place and reserve a guaranteed spot. You get a q-code, show up at the place, they scan the code (or see the reservation number), you are all set. You can cancel up to the time of your reservation with no charge. You can also extend your reservation if you need more time - I had to do that twice, interestingly there was no additional charge.

One of first questions I ask, when planning to go somewhere, is "what is parking like around there?". I have seen the ticketing/towing consequences and do not want to deal with them. So SpotHero is a great app for me.

Also - it seems that (though it may just be media hype) that parking on the street exposes your car to more break-in crime that an attended lot or garage. Of course, many parking lots and garages are unattended in certain areas, so one still has to be wary (a nice feature of SpotHero is that it will indicate whether or not the lot/garage has attendant security).

Maybe a visit to a city hall is in order? Or write to the Mayor with you thoughts. This might be one of those things that will never change if no one is thinking of the problem.

I did send an email to parking enforcement but never received a response, and wouldn't expect one.

I wasn't paying attention, didn't see the sign, and went over the time limit. It was my mistake. We had gotten so used to parking on the other side of the street and didn't really think about the other side having a limit. We were also distracted by remodeling work going on at an old church, thus the large construction vehicle that was blocking the sign.

Ironically, parking is free in town, as long as you stay within the two hour limit. So they make all their money ticketing people who stay too long. It seems like they could make more with parking meters or something, but who knows. Two hours really isn't enough time to do much of anything in town.

In any case, I think I found a few other places to park all day for free, so I'll be checking those out this week to see what kind of availability they have. It's only an extra block to walk, so no biggy.

So that makes two parking tickets in my 45+ years of driving. Not bad. Actually, I got a ticket one time (in the mail) for a 1978 VW Camaro? No such vehicle. I took it to city hall and they laughed about it, and dismissed it as an error.

When I was in college they wouldn't write a ticket, but they would stick a big giant sticker on your window. That took time to scrape off with a razor blade, but it made the point. One sticker was enough for me. :)

I did send an email to parking enforcement but never received a response, and wouldn't expect one.

I wasn't paying attention, didn't see the sign, and went over the time limit. It was my mistake. We had gotten so used to parking on the other side of the street and didn't really think about the other side having a limit. We were also distracted by remodeling work going on at an old church, thus the large construction vehicle that was blocking the sign.

Yes I read the whole post. And you made some excellent points, that they are quite likely hurting downtown businesses with these parking limits - and your Mayor and city gov might take note of that, whereas the enforcement officials would not. And email to the right folks might help make a change?

Back
Top Bottom