Finally bought a car

Sheryl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All of you who have been patient and helpful through the past year will be glad to know I finally zeroed in on and bought a new vehicle.

After researching dozens of cars, and test driving the B9 Tribeca, the Mazda CRX (or whatever) the Huyndai Santa Fe, and the Honda CRX, I finally bought a Nissan Xterra.

I had not even been considering this one too seriously until I adopted the soon-to-be 120+ lb. dog. Then it seemed to make perfect sense. There is a nice big back end and it is hoseable/scrubable. It is rated to pull 5,000 lbs. if we decide to get a trailer or boat, it will easily accommodate 2 kayaks or a pile of wet scuba gear...

And to anyone who mentions $3/gallon gas

:::::::na na na na na I CANT HEAR YOU na na na::::::::

I commute 2 miles a day, and save the environment in various other ways. ;)

Sheryl said:
I had not even been considering this one too seriously until I adopted the soon-to-be 120+ lb. dog. Then it seemed to make perfect sense. There is a nice big back end and it is hoseable/scrubable.

Rides in the back? Mine sits right next to me in the passenger front seat. I have to admit though, she hasn't been in my new Trailblazer yet. Got to get a seat cover.

Have fun with your new ride. 8)

i also just put a deposit on new vertible yesterday. it only has very little room for a big dog if i get one. but it's got plenty of horsies to get around all those suv's hogging the road. (actually they came out with an suv even i'd consider if i didn't only drive verts, the pj cruiser by toyota. cool car.) xterra's real nice too though. enjoy & drive in good health.

Just bought DW a new Honda Civic this weekend because my daughter borrowed her car last weekend and got into a accident which resulted in the car being a "total loss" according to the insurance company. Fortunately she is OK with back aches and pains that hopefully will subside soon with some physical therapy.

The dealer offered 1.8% financing for 36 months so I took it.

73ss454 said:
CB,

Was that rate from the dealer or the auto maker?

The auto maker is offering 2.8% but the dealer was offering a 1% reduction to well qualified customers. I guess I'm well qualified...........

I had not even been considering this one too seriously until I adopted the soon-to-be 120+ lb. dog.
i had a pair of newfoundlands (130+ and 140+) ... bought them a volvo wagon (the old 260) ... wonderful dogs, decent car, great memories. enjoy both.

DOG52 said:
Rides in the back? Mine sits right next to me in the passenger front seat. I have to admit though, she hasn't been in my new Trailblazer yet. Got to get a seat cover.

Have fun with your new ride. 8)

Yeah, I don't know how long I'll enforce the "stay in back" rule - but I'm not ready to let the muddy paws on the new upholstery yet.

Corporateburnout said:
The auto maker is offering 2.8% but the dealer was offering a 1% reduction to well qualified customers. I guess I'm well qualified...........

FYI if the car dealer is lowering a rate that is already low due to a program from the car manufacturer your paying for that lower rate. Here's how that works, the dealer will buy down the rate if they have enough profit in the deal to close you at the reduced rate. So you pay too much for the car so the dealer can pay the leanding arm the diffenence in the rate reduction. A one % point reduction depending on the amount of the loan usually cost a few hundred for the dealer to buy it down. No biggie!

Enjoy the new vehicle!

img_498180_0_5aad41abc7fe8787c0567b208ed122bd.gif

Thanks all - And I forgot to specifically say thanks to Finance Dude - for all the "insider" advice on dealing with used car salesmen - so, Thanks Dude!

73ss454 said:
FYI if the car dealer is lowering a rate that is already low due to a program from the car manufacturer your paying for that lower rate. Here's how that works, the dealer will buy down the rate if they have enough profit in the deal to close you at the reduced rate. So you pay too much for the car so the dealer can pay the leanding arm the diffenence in the rate reduction. A one % point reduction depending on the amount of the loan usually cost a few hundred for the dealer to buy it down. No biggie!

We used to do that on used cars..........offered 2.9 by marking them up $2000 and buying down the rate internally..........our cost of money was 6%, so we had to mark UP the cars to make it work........... :eek: :eek:

FinanceDude said:
We used to do that on used cars..........offered 2.9 by marking them up $2000 and buying down the rate internally..........our cost of money was 6%, so we had to mark UP the cars to make it work........... :eek: :eek:

FD, do you remember the saying from you days in the car biz? There's an a** for every seat!

d said:
i had a pair of newfoundlands (130+ and 140+) ... bought them a volvo wagon (the old 260) ...

Were they good drivers?

73ss454 said:

I still ended with what I beleive to be a good deal. 1800 under sticker and 1300 under Edmunds and Blue book estimate for what people in my area paid for the same car.

CB, if you think you got a good deal then it's a good deal. That's what sales is all about.

73ss454 said:
CB, if you think you got a good deal then it's a good deal. That's what sales is all about.

Yup! I'm estatic about getting my car for just $450 more than my starting low ball offer, and $1,000 less than I'd been willing to offer.

Milo likes it too. Since he's going to be too big for his kennel by next week it's a good thing I will have a dog proof vehicle. At least I HOPE it will be when I get one of those wire screens to keep him from eating the uphosltery.

We have had him three weeks now, and he's grown from 19 lbs. to 30! It was 3 lbs per week the first two weeks and 5 lbs last week! ACK! What have I done??

Back
Top Bottom