First batch

Marshac

Full time employment: Posting here.
'It still runs...' was pretty much our reaction today as we completed our first batch of biodiesel and tested it in a Ford F350 diesel truck. The three of us hope to sell the stuff soon.

We will be securing waste fryer oil from about 10 McDs (one of us is friends with the franchise owner), turning it into biodiesel, and then plan to blend and distribute the 20% bio/petrol diesel through our other partner who has a fuel distribution company. Since the waste fryer oil is free (currently they PAY to have it removed!), our projected COGS is about $.59-.79/gallon. The last hurdle is increasing our refining capacity, and then getting our diesel tested and certified for use and sale. :) Waste oil reprocessing operations such as ours seem to be regional in scope. We know of one other about 3 hours away from us that processes several hundred gallons of waste oil per week. Once we really get started, i'll let you guys know how profitable it is, but right now our total investment is only about $40 :LOL:

55 gallon HDPE drums- free from a dairy supply place (udder wash containers)
15 gallon HDPE containers- free from the same place (H2SO4 containers)
Stainless steel filter screens- free scrap from a canning operation

You get the idea.... :D

If you have an interest in this stuff, it's fairly easy to make, and if you can secure some cheap/free oil, you could save some serious cash.

I'm interested in this. My son has an old Mercedes diesel he wants to run on bio diesel. It depends A LOT on where you live. Please post on your progress but allow some cost for your time and effort as well as fuel costs and conversion (Tanks, filters...) costs.
At work we use 20% bio diesel but this is direct from soybeans and not recycled veg oil.

Yum. burger greece.  Good luck, Marshac.  I hope  this idea catches on in a big way and that you become rich beyond your wildest dreams. :)

Waste oil is plentiful in UNY. By law, sellers have to accept waste oil. I usually buy my oil at Sam's but never return it there. Its easier to go to the local gas station. We have about six gas stations within a mile radius. They really hate taking the oil. One guy told me that the big problem is capacity. "Fageddaboutit, I gotta have, what 5 drums on the side of the station? They fill up quick. The guy that picks it up is from freakin' Neptune. Who knows when he'll be back? So #$%holes (like me) keep showin' up with their little plastic bottles, leavin' 'em on the side of the building leaking all over...then the #$%^&* ballbuster EPA sonofabitch drops by...

Bottom line there is lots of waste motor oil up for grabs nobody seems to want it.

Good luck marshac. Want fries with that?

Nice idea but watch out for the gov. regulations on all this. It has to end up costing a ton in oversight to keep the oil from contaminating the work area. Used fryer grease (veg. oil) may not have the same restrictions except the fire department and your insurance company. Better to look into it now than after you get hit with fines and lawsuits.

Prevention can save you a ton of headaches.

Back
Top Bottom